+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Huge AWWWWWW! Those little punkins are too precious. Unk, you are going to have your hands FULL after Star's awesome tratment of them.

Can't wait to see more pictures.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

MRD
    Yes the beach chapter was one of those Doxie.

Our female JRT (Rosie, hence my screen name) is very very small. She is banned from the dog beach because she is so aggressive to the dobermans and pitbulls and they cower. It's funny because she thinks she is as big as they are and I don't know why they tuck tail and whimper, she's never bitten another dog or human.

She also laid in her beautiful wicker dog bed we got her as a puppy and ate it. There was nothing left except what was under the cushion.

Our male (her son) is a big dufus. His name is Bogie and my husband and our friends call him Bogus.
    I came home one day and he had shredded a stuffed dog toy. It looked like it had snowed in our living room.
    He also ate a plastic Easter egg once.

Other than the occasional tissue, they have quit chewing, but it did take a couple years and a lot of chew toys to get past the chewing stage. People tell us that we have the calmest Jacks they have ever seen. Believe me its nothing we did. And Bogie's sister lives with a good friend adn that dog needs Ritalin, so she's nothing like the 2 we have.

I love having dogs. They bring such joy and they love so unconditionally. Bogie will go to bed with me and stay by my side no matter how awful I feel. He is always right there with me and he's under my feet right now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've told you all before that we no longer have pets, but do have neighbor pets that visit daily. Well, on one side of us, there is a little terrier who is such a b*tch it isn't funny She thinks that my husband is her personal property and goes through her growling and barking routine when the great big old dog from the cove comes to visit us. He just gives her "the look" and goes about his business. Bumming IS his business.

Our neighbors on the other side recently got a little black poodle thing, that they say will never get very big. He's cute as can be. Well yesterday I heard a commotion, looked out and just fell out laughing. Here came the terrier, running faster than I've ever seen her run, with the tiny poodle behind her, barking and snarling. She ran all the way to her house and hid under a bench by the back door. I just had to go over there and make fun of her. I told her that for a dog who thought she was so bad, she sure could haul butt when a little puppy got after her.
    Last edited by Muduh; 06-17-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Stargazer: What cuties Mischa and Hoss are. And they get along? Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    ..She then takes it outside, lays down in the grass and eats the whole thing.
    Well, that's one way to get your fibre!

myrosiedog: Although I like JRTs, I would never, ever get one. They are way too hyper for me and need lots of exercise and attention. If I ever got a dog, it would be a little fluffy thing that thinks it's a lap cat
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Stargazer: What cuties Mischa and Hoss are. And they get along? Wow.
    Well, that's one way to get your fibre!

myrosiedog: Although I like JRTs, I would never, ever get one. They are way too hyper for me and need lots of exercise and attention. If I ever got a dog, it would be a little fluffy thing that thinks it's a lap cat

We must have the laziest Jacks in the world. I'm serious. Yes, they do play and get rambunctious, but mostly they lay around and sleep and they aren't that old either. I've met plenty of others so I see how they can be, but ours are so laid back. I sat for an hour yesterday and held Bogie in my arms like a baby until my left arm went to sleep. He was content to just lay there and let me hold him. But then, he does play a lot with the other one and I do play a lot of ball during the day. Having 2 seems to help as they do play with each other and get some of that energy out. But our female was pretty laid back before we got the male and I think he takes his cues from her. YOu can get them all riled up and then they are like kids on a 4 day sugar high, but generally, they are pretty calm.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Our boxers are fighting - kissing one day and fighting the next. It's very upsetting and frustrating. They seemed to be about to kill each other when we separated them. I was near the food bin in the pantry and Reyna came over to me and then Buddy just attacked her. I think he thought she was getting something he wasn't but since I've been giving her antibiotics everyday - that usually entails wrapping it in lunch meat and they can stand side by side and nothing like that has happened before. Then they calmed down and I went into the other room and Reyna followed me and Buddy attacked her again. My b/f thinks Buddy is jealous and has decided that he doesn't want her around anymore. The boxer rescue organizer suggested we keep them separated and "reintroduce" them to each other after a couple of days. I'm not sure if this is going to work. I was lucky it happened when b/f was around because I really dont think I could have separated them. It was really scary and to make matters worse, Lily seemed to be in the fray and on Buddy's side. I'm not sure if we are going to be able to keep Reyna.

That is scary, PGM35. I hope things work out. I thought of you when I saw some Boxer pups at a flea market a couple days ago. The poor things were all crammed together in one big crate and it stunk to high heavens. I would've taken them all home if I could.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Oh, PGM, I'm so sorry to hear this. Years ago, our terrier mutt (from the pound) was about six y.o. when we brought home our 4 month old lab mutt (from the pound). The terrier has always been a very sweet, get-along-with-all-dogs kind of girl, and I've had two dogs before, so thought nothing of feeding them side by side. Well, gadzooks, she flew into him within seconds and scared the hell out of me, but forunately she quickly stopped when I yelled her name. But it shook me up, that's for sure. I can't imagine having two big dogs do that, especially when you love them so. That must have been very frightening for you, and then to have it happen again, yikes. How long have you had the two of them? Has anything changed recently? Are they both fixed? It is sounding like your b/f is on the right path about one being jealous of the other, though. I just wish I had some sound advice to give you about how to make it stop, but the internet can be a great source about pet problems. Try doing some searches, and talk to your vet, too.

Since feeding our dogs with about three feet between, they've settled down and get along great. I hope you're able to find a solution and return them to being buddies again.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

PGM, they are definitely fighting for dominance. Most dogs can sort that out if left to their own devices, but some never can. Was one bigger originally and then started passing the other in size? That's when my dogs started fighting. Unfortunately, mine have to stay somewhat separated to this day. They can be in the back yard together, but not when my daughter is out there. They can never be in the house together, so I keep the larger dog outside and put her to bed in the garage. It's too close-quarters inside, which is when the jealousy really flares up.

I'll warn you that its not a good idea to try to separate them. A member of my family ended up getting stitches on his arm from trying to separate my dogs (which are bigger than your boxers). They didn't even see him, they were just going at each other and he got in the middle of the fray. Ask your vet to confirm, but I found it was best to step back and walk out the back door and try to call them outside. Getting caught between two fighting dogs is a bad idea.

I have to work very hard to keep my pups separated when any people are around (the only time they get jealous), but not everyone has the space or time to do that. Hopefully they'll just work it out on their own with tips from your vet. Most dogs do, especially if they are both fixed. Good luck.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

PGM35, I hope you won't have to send the new boxer back to the rescue group especially since she's not the one starting the aggression Another thing to think about though is since she's already been placed in rescue, having other dogs start fighting with her may make her skittish and afraid at the next home if you have to give her up. What I mean is, if the problem can't be resolved quickly then it could have lasting effects on her. Maybe she would be best in a home with no other large dogs or other dogs at all, even though it sounds like she isn't the one with the problem.

I don't know your budget or what's available in your area but I read a pamphlet at my vet's office about a training program for problem situations http://www.barkbusters.com/

Maybe they, or a similar program can be of help. Good luck and most importantly be safe.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 06-19-2006 at 09:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread