+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    I got this in an email and I thought it was interesting.....

BIRTH OF A HUMMINGBIRD

This is truly amazing. Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE at the bottom of each page; there are 5 pages in all A lady found a hummingbird nest and got pictures all the way from the egg to leaving the nest. Took 24 days from birth to flight. Because you'll probably never in your lifetime see this again, enjoy; and please share.
    Go to this site

http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/

For those of you who have lost your loved ones recently I give my condolences and can sympathize with your pain. I lost my sweet boy Tiger (13 yr old red cocker spaniel) this past Valentine's Day. He was miserable and it would have been selfish for me to keep him here, it was time to let him go.

208566352_m.jpg
    Last edited by mischief4911; 06-09-2006 at 09:58 AM.
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

Thanks, mischief4911, those photos are amazing, not to mention have given me a good idea of what camera to buy next.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I just read this and it had me . Instead of scaredy cat maybe it shoud be scaredy bear.

Jack the cat chases black bear up tree
    WEST MILFORD, N.J. - A black bear picked the wrong New Jersey yard for a jaunt earlier this week, running into a territorial tabby who ran the furry beast up a tree twice.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    click here

Jack, a 15-pound orange-and-white cat, keeps a close vigil on his property, chasing small animals when he can, but his owners and neighbors say his latest escapade was surprising.

"We used to joke, 'Jack's on duty,' never knowing he'd go after a bear," cat owner Donna Dickey told The Star-Ledger of Newark for Friday's newspapers.

Neighbor Suzanne Giovanetti first spotted Jack's accomplishment after her husband saw a bear climb a tree on the edge of their northern New Jersey home's back yard on Sunday. Giovanetti thought Jack was simply looking up at the bear, but soon realized the much larger animal was afraid of the hissing cat.

After about 15 minutes peering down at the cat from the tree, the bear descended and tried to run away, only to have Jack chase it up another tree.

At this point Dickey, who feared for her cat, called Jack back home and the bear scurried back to the woods.

"He doesn't want anybody in his yard," Dickey said.

Bear sightings are not unusual in West Milford, which experts consider one of the state's most bear-populated areas.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060610/...A1BHNlYwMxNzAy

mischief9411: Thanks for the link ....what incredible birdies! I'll never see that in real life I'm sure!

Unk: Jack is my kind of cat! You got to watch those orange and white ones you know. They have the attitude of a red-head!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Unk: Jack is my kind of cat! You got to watch those orange and white ones you know. They have the attitude of a red-head!
    Tell me about it. There's three in my house right now.

Good news everyone!! The littlest one finally ate solid food this morning. I kept dumping him by his plate as I was trying to get ready (and he was crying for a bottle). He finally got tired of waiting for me and started eating. He looked a little frustrated, so I mixed in some fish flavored soft cat food. I'd just bought it last night to try to work with him today. Well, that was it for him. He started gobbling it down and filled up on that and the dry. He's still *really* clingy, though. I call him a chihuahua cat because he wants me to carry him around everywhere I go. So maybe another week of breaking him from that and he should be ready for his new home with Unk.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Sorry for the double post, but just in case people aren't sick of my endless kitten updates yet, I have another picture. This is the big one (who's really big for his age ) with his mother. The mother is a great cat. She asks to go outside when she needs to go to the bathroom. She's never even used the litter box. I've never seen another cat do that. She didn't teach the kittens squat, though. So I taught them to use the litter box and they are doing great with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

The hummingbird pictures are fabulous. We have a hummingbird nest right outside our back door every year, but I've always been hesitant to get that close to the nest for fear I'd scare her off. It's nice to know they're not that skittish. Thanks for posting, Mischief, and your sweet Tiger was a cutie.

Star, it's such a relief to hear both kitties are eating now. The picture is adorable, and that kitten sure is getting big.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I don't actually know this for a fact, but I would have to assume that food produced for our pets is designed to provide a more balanced diet than tinned fish, and I have been told by a vet to avoid giving the boys a lot of fish. It sounds like you're feeding your boys the real thing which, again I'm assuming, would be more nutritionally sound than the tinned variety, and of course, a dog's diet requirements are different from a cat's. That's why I would only recommend the salmon as a treat or an inducement to eating and not as a regular component of a cat's diet.
    Thanks for the info I absolutely agree that too much fish (or anything for that matter) will result in an unbalanced and unhealthy diet. At the risk of utterly humiliating myself on this board I admit under duress that I mix their salmon, chicken or turkey in with organic brown rice, vegetables (such as peas, carrots, yams, or green beans) and a 1/2 cup of organic Wellness brand dry dog food. Yes, it's true my "kids' eat better than my husband and I do.

Edited to add: Star those kitties get cuter with every picture!

Star: I luvs your orange kitties. I'm so happy they will be going to Unk soon!

Unk: Here's a photo of Jack the Cat and the bear he chased up the tree. Whatta guy!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ad741f7aa5fe6a
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I love all these pictures! I sent the hummingbird link to friends and family.

The bear up the tree with the cat is priceless. I'm glad the owner's kept their cool long enough to get a picture because it's one of those "have to see to believe" stories for sure.

Star, we had a male orange tabby who never used a litter box either. At the first home we had him, we had a pet door so he went in and out that way. When we moved, we didn't have a pet door so he would meow at the door to be let out. He passed a few years ago but I sure miss him.

We now have a pet door, and a new cat, and now that he's learned to use the door he very rarely uses his litter box anymore.

+ Reply to Thread