+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

I did sort of jumble that one up, didn't I?
    No, she was just soliciting treats for her tiny little yelping dog. But only the treat that she approves. Sort of makes me want to sneak him a weinie, or some other contraband.

No, no, you didn't jumble anything. It was just how I read it.

She sounds like a real winner, that one.

I have a question for you guys, especially since most of us have gone through the loss of a pet. We lost our 16-year-old Siamese in February to liver cancer. Kiwi had a wonderful life, and was active up until about a week before she died, and I try to hang on to those memories and not remember the end.

The problem is my calico cat Nutmeg. She's 11, and has been with us since she was a kitten, so she always had her big sister. Since losing my older cat she went through a period of confusion where she would howl and cry for her. We comforted her best we could, tried to explain, and sort of fell into the habit of never saying Kiwi's name because we could see her react to hearing her name. We kept her collared and indoors for awhile, and when we did start letting her out again she disappeared for hours. I think she was looking for Kiwi. Anyway, she has gradually gotten better, but she is still affected by the loss. She weighed in 2 pounds lighter than an appointment she had before February, and she's more clingy (not that I mind). She also has taken on a few habits of Kiwi's, sort of taking up the slack now that she's gone.

My vet suggested that it might be good for her to adopt another cat near her age and with a compatible temperament. But I'm hesitating because I feel like it would be another big change for her in a short span of time. Would she feel less loved if we got another cat? What is your opinion?

Good thing your neighbor doesn't live next to mine, Muduh. My dog has gained five pounds since that guy moved in. He's a recently divorced guy, so all of his meals are cooked outside on the grill (sometimes at midnight ). Anyway, I caught the guy sneaking my dogs wieners one day, over the fence. THEN he asked my permission.

ETA: hep, my sister went through something similiar when her older cat died and left a younger cat in the household. She waited a few months and adopted another cat because hers didn't seem to be adjusting well either. It took a few MORE months for them to adjust to each other, but now they are very affectionate and playful together.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Hep, I don't know if an older cat is the answer. When we lost our older cat we had the same sort of problems. Our vet said to get a kitten about 3-4months old. That way the female we had left would have company but would not think we just replaced the other one. Our remaining cat once she got used to the new one took on a mother/mentoring roll. Very cute to watch her knocking the little one around while washing her. Taught her how to hunt and even helped with the litter box by going in and cleaning up after her. They were the best of friends until we lost the older to cancer. Good luck.

hep, I should add that my sister's new addition was a kitten as well. I don't know if it makes a difference, but they do seem to enjoy each other.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

A kitten, eh? I just assumed a new kitten would be too much for her, and I'm not sure if it would be fair to the kitten, either. Obviously, I'm still thinking about this.

The kitten pics you posted aren't helping me make a rational decision, Star.

Premium Member
    I think catmom3 is right, a kitten would be just the thing to keep her busy and I'll bet they would become best buddies. Plus you would have endless hours of free entertainment watching them.

hepcat: When my Snowy died at 14, Gracie was lost without her in the house (she was only 4). Wandering around and confused. After a short time, I ended up with Mr. Tootles. They are 5 years apart in age. It took quite awhile for Gracie to adjust to both Snowy being gone and this new little bundle of trouble being in her face. But they're ok with each other now.

I would probably suggest another kitty as well, but remember to pamper Nutmeg a lot and tell her over and over, I'm not kidding, that nothing will happen to her. She's safe. Even with the new kitten in your home. She's safe with you and will be with you forever. I had a cat psychololgist tell me that my Gracie was afraid that she would disappear too one day and that the kitten would take over. Gracie needs constant reassurance not only with cuddles, but verbally in a soft assuring tone.

Stargazer: Believe it or not all cats do not like salmon. Mine loves tuna juice. For your kitty, drain a can of water-packed tuna into a small jar. Spoon it (the liquid) at room temperature by itself at first and then on top of some food. It worked for Mr. Tootles. Also, I have no idea why this worked as well, but I made little licky-smack-smack noises and it just got him eating whenever he was unsure about something new. Did I look and sound silly? Yep. But it worked!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

hepcat, I have to agree with those who recommend getting a kitten. When our Spotty died last year, Harvey (who never really seemed to like him all that much) just went a little mad. He became hyper affectionate and clingy and we couldn't do anything without our chubby black & white sweetie boy (that's him to the left) clinging to one or the other of us like a limpet. So while Mr. Rattus and I had a bit of a different opinion on what to do, I just went into action with respect to adopting a new kitten and believe me, it made all the difference in the world. If we had gotten an older cat, I think Harv's territoriality would have gone into overload, but the kitten (our ever so adorable Finley, now a year and a half old) and our unending supply of affection initially distracted him from his own misery and they are now the best of buds. They spend a lot of time together licking each others heads, chasing each other around the house and just hanging out in the back yard together. It was absolutely the best thing to do for both Harv and for us.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread