+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1387Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    The choice to be with your pet during euthanasia is a personal one, and it's not the right choice for everybody. If you didn't want to be there or couldn't be there, you should never feel guilty about it. Our pets don't think like that. If you weren't able to be with him, I think you can rest assured that he was treated very lovingly by the vet staff. I've had 3 different pets euthanized by 3 different veterinarians, and every single time they could not have been more kind and gentle with them.
    Thanks everyone! This does feel like a survivor's support group. I needed this. My nephew has started saying "dog" so that makes us laugh.

It's nice to see the pictures of everyone's family. Congrats on all the new additions.

Not all of us can be there in their final moments, sometimes it is too heartbreaking. I tell myself however that when it comes time for Mona & Joey, I will be there even if I am crying, because I want if possible their last looks to be me. God - I am crying thinking about it. - They give us so much and really ask for so little in return.

gabriel: I do not regret the day I took in my beloved Snowy to be put down. She died in my arms before the vet was done. Her ashes will be buried with me. Same with Gracie and Tootles. And I still cry. And I don't care. Because I know that she knows that I loved her so.

Stargazer: what cutie kitties!! So orange and sweet!! And it looks like they may have an Unk for a Dad!!

geekthegirl: What a shiny coat your blackie has. So smooth and sweet. I'll bet you don't even hear her when she wanders around the house. She looks like she's slinky.

canuckinchile: I'm sure your "baby" mastiff will be ok. It's usually an uncomplicated quick procedure. What color is your puppy? Why did you choose a mastiff? They grow to be, um, like, mini horses? Yes?
    ---------------

My cousins now have custody of their new samoyed puppy named Kenya. He is joining his dad Kona, Truffles, and kitties Mocha and Java. He's growing so fast, he'll be huge by the time I see him. This is him and my cousin's husband. How cute is he? The dog I mean. Kenya. Not Frank.

Last edited by misskitty; 06-06-2006 at 03:29 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I love seeing all the well cared for animals. Black cats and white puppies are adorable and so is the boxer. They are one of my favorite breeds.

When I saw the twins I knew they needed to live with Unk. Only problem, Unk, you'll need a bigger chair for them. Tiggers chair won't hold two.

This just in today. I'm certainly not going to be swayed by Disney as to what food I buy my kitts. But I'm getting tired of all this "branding" that's going on. If it's toys, that's ok. If it's collars and such, that's ok. But stay out of food. That affects the health of the pet. Like if Disney sold people food, I wouldn't buy it. Pocahontas pretzels? Nope.

But the article says it's not focussing on food. Just stuff. So I'm ok with that. It's all about the money. $$$ So get out your credit cards and start shopping!
    -------------------------------------

Disney barking up a new tree with pet products
    By Jeffrey Goldfarb

LONDON (Reuters) - Disney is going to the dogs.

The iconic entertainment company, home to such famous canines as Pluto and Goofy, wants a piece of the $75 billion global market for pet products after a successful trial run of "Old Yeller" branded dog food at Kroger supermarkets.

"That's a character that most people wouldn't even remember," Andy Mooney, head of Walt Disney Co.'s consumer products division, said during a discussion with a handful of journalists on Wednesday.

"And we have a lot of pets in the Disney portfolio."

Cincinnati-based Kroger in April 2005 replaced a private-label dog food in its 2,500 U.S. stores with one branded by the 1957 Disney film pooch. Since then, it has become the store's best selling dog food, Mooney said.

"They're anxious to develop a whole range of accessories," said Mooney, a Scotsman who formerly worked for Nike. Disney is already investigating a cat food range with Kroger.

He stressed, however, that Disney's expansion in the pets business is unlikely to be centered around food, but instead on such items as collars, clothing and bedding, which have been popularized recently by celebrity dog owners like Paris Hilton.

Mooney did not say how soon the pet product line would be rolled out or how much investment it would entail. He noted that consumers in the United States and Japan have become particularly fond of pampering their pets, but the plan was for Disney's products to sell globally.

Another already hot-selling U.S. pet-related item for Disney is an aquarium based on its "Pirates of the Caribbean" film, a company spokeswoman said.

Since joining Disney in 1999, Mooney has shifted the company's focus away from owning stores to a more active licensing process working more closely with other retailers, including Wal-Mart, Tesco and Target, as well as high-end fashion labels such as Dolce & Gabbana.

Disney-branded consumer products last year generated $21 billion of global retail sales, compared with $12 billion in 1999. Profit margins on licensing hover around the 70 percent level, he said, meaning incremental growth yields large amounts of cash.

Mooney said he was optimistic about more growth for his unit because Disney only has about a 4 percent market share of the toys business, 2 percent for children's apparel and 1 percent or less in other segments like home furnishings, food and beverages, beauty products, stationery and consumer electronics.

It has a bigger share of the children's book and magazine markets, especially in Europe.

About 50 percent of Disney's licensing revenue -- the biggest component of the consumer products division -- is generated by 26 customers in the top 10 markets, and Mooney expects that ratio to grow to 60 percent in the next five years. It was at 40 percent two years ago.

Consumer products were responsible for about 6.7 percent of Disney's $32 billion of revenue last year, or about $2.1 billion and 11.2 percent of its $4.7 billion of operating profit, or $520 million.

Its popular Princess line for girls accounted for about $3 billion of retail sales in 2005, and Mooney said he thought that could reach $6 billion before it plateaus.

Disney is hoping to score a similar success targeting boys with a massive range of products spawned from its upcoming animated release "Cars."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060607/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Premium Member
    I agree with you misskitty, I buy pet food based on the nutrition benefits for my pets, but I'm sure some people will buy this just because it had Disney on the label.

Gah, I don't know what to do. The littlest kitten wants fed (from a bottle) all the time and won't even TRY kitten food. The other one has been eating it a week at least. I strongly suspect that the little one just wants to continue to be babied. He wasn't too many days from death when I started feeding him and he thinks I'm his mommy now.

I called the vet and they said to keep setting food out and eventually he'll try it. I swear, he'd rather starve. I went most of the day today not feeding him, hoping he would get hungry enough to try it. No dice. He cried and cried and then sat on me and looked up at me in this mournful little way. Does anyone have any advice to get him to eat solid food?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

How strange, Star. We got Missy at four weeks old, and she was starting to eat kitten food. She had a dingbat mother who stopped feeding them, too. I'll tell you, though--we gave her some of that kitty milk that you can buy and put it in a bowl, and she lapped it right up. You might try that to get him used to eating from a bowl, at least. (Then, you can add a little food next to it, slowly cut down on the milk in exchange for food, etc.)

Also, maybe he really likes the cuddling. Do that.

The kitten formula is what I've been feeding them, Manny. I've put it in a bowl and stirred it into the kitten food and the little guy still won't eat it. It's like he's a couple weeks behind the other kitten or something. Maybe you're right about the cuddling, though. Maybe I should start out with the bowl on my lap or something.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    and he thinks I'm his mommy now.
    Boy, is he in for a rude awakening when he gets here and finds his mommy has turned into a daddy. Boy Star I don't have any advice at all. I've never bottle fed an animal at all or had to try to wean one.

+ Reply to Thread