+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Sympathy rt1ky, It some how seems harder when they have been with us our whole lives. It's like losing a brother/sister. Know that you did the right thing for you little buddy. When I had to have my Molly beagle done years ago I thought for awhile I would cry forever but time allows us to remember all the sweet, funny, crazy things that our furry family did. The memories make it better in the end.

Rt1ky;
    I am saddened by your loss as well. Your buddy lived to be a ripe old age and you made the difficult but kindest choice not to prolong his pain. I am glad that you are able to remember the happy times.You are absolutely correct when you say that it feels like your heart and innerds have been ripped out of your chest. Don't be alarmed if sorrow overwhelms you from time to time as it is wont to do in the first few weeks/months. The first week after Charlie passed, I saw him everywhere I looked; on the couch, on the bed, in the hallway, all his old places. Gradually the pain subsides but even now, almost 4 weeks later I find myself falling apart at the oddest times. I take heart in knowing all my "family" will be there to greet me when it's my time to go.
    My thoughts are with you,
    Ericka

Premium Member
    rt1ky - I am so, so sorry for the loss of your friend. Letting them go is the hardest thing, but when they can't live the life of a dog any more it's the one last, most loving thing you can do for them. He has made his journey, so sleep well tonight because he is now happy and whole again. Cry when you need to, and know that the time will come when you will think of him with a smile instead of tears. We're here for you.

We just adopted another Boxer! Her name is Reyna. Here is what was listed about her on Petfinder.com and her picture.

Reyna is a 6 year old brindle female boxer. This was one lucky dog because she was taken to the Brownwood shelter a few days before ABR volunteers went to pick up the dogs in that area. Her original family had 15 dogs and when they got divorced they chose to get rid of all of their dogs. It is apparent that she never recieved proper care before the divorce because she came into rescue with an imbedded collar, heartworms and infested with fleas and ticks. She is a sweet and gentle girl and does well with dogs of all sizes, cats and older kids. This angel is scheduled to be spayed and begin heartworm treatment soon. Reyna is an affectionate dog that is seeking a family to make happy.

We still have to get her spayed and her heartworm treatment but will do that this week. She is getting along wonderfully with Lily and Buddy.

Ugh, what HORRID people she had as her previous owners. First of all, the neglect was appalling and second of all, who gets rid of their babies simply because they divorce? Thank god you and Reyna were lucky enough to find each other.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

PGM35,
    That is one lucky dog! Congratulations and bless you, you have some good karma coming your way
    As for the previous owners, I really do believe what goes around comes back around, or simply stated; you get what you give.

Quote Originally Posted by horsnhound View Post
    PGM35, As for the previous owners, I really do believe what goes around comes back around, or simply stated; you get what you give.

I hope so, I truly hope so.

another boxer. It's so very nice of you to adopt yet another one and help him towards good health and happiness.

We just had a clip on local tv last night about a lady whose acreage was overrun with dogs. She put an ad in the paper for free puppies, and when two young guys went out and got two of them, they saw the awful condition of the place and her dogs and called the SPCA on her. They've rescued a few already and are deciding what to do about charges or taking more animals into custody.

The guys' two white lab puppies are dehydrated and a bit sick but will be ok. Thank goodness they reported that crazy lady.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Thanks everybody. I shed a few tears last night and today is still a little rough when I think about him.

Letting them go is the hardest thing, but when they can't live the life of a dog any more it's the one last, most loving thing you can do for them. He has made his journey, so sleep well tonight because he is now happy and whole again.
    This really helps. Last night I kept thinking that maybe I failed him but not fighting to keep him alive. I just hope hiw last thoughts weren't of us leaving him in that vet office alone. He hates/hated vet offices.

Good job on the new dog PGM35! You've done a wonderful thing. We once took a dog from a lady who kept him on a chain, in a gravel pit (although her yard was full of grass). He was so happy to get into our truck and go home with us. I have gotten my hair done that day for a school function and he licked the curls right out. Unfortunately, he wasn't used to being touched or petted. He would always cower down and become afraid and sometimes snap. We kept him for 5 years until my dad found another owner who could take him and give him what he needed. We had other dogs at the time and we just couldn't help him. He wanted his new owner to have experience with abused dogs and we found a wonderful lady with acres of land who was a dog rescuer. I have the upmost respect for people who rescue animals! God Bless you!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky
    I just hope hiw last thoughts weren't of us leaving him in that vet office alone. He hates/hated vet offices.
    The choice to be with your pet during euthanasia is a personal one, and it's not the right choice for everybody. If you didn't want to be there or couldn't be there, you should never feel guilty about it. Our pets don't think like that. If you weren't able to be with him, I think you can rest assured that he was treated very lovingly by the vet staff. I've had 3 different pets euthanized by 3 different veterinarians, and every single time they could not have been more kind and gentle with them.

+ Reply to Thread