+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1274Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I had to put my 16 year old dog down yesterday. We had been together since I was in elementary school. Now I am in graduate school. I know he wouldn't live forever but I still feel like I've been punched and had my innards ripped out at the same time. Today was the first time in 16 years that I went to my parents house he he wasn't there to greet me. I had been preparing myself to find him passed on of old age. Instead he had pneumonia and his arthritis was so bad he kept crying out in pain and he couldn't use his hind legs. The vet gave the option of new medicines, but I didn't want to be selfish and keep him here for me knowing that he likes to daily check the perimeter of the backyard to rid squirrels and rabbits away and that he used to be able to run back and forth all day if he wanted to. Even though I was preparing for it, it still hurts so much. My buddy is gone. The other dogs were really upset when we came home without him last night and today they have been really quiet except for some howling and sad barks.

Im so sorry rt1ky. That's what happened with the dog I grew up with (who also died at 16). He was in terrible shape when he was put down. It's so hard when you grow up with them, especially. I swear I felt like a sibling had died when that dog passed on. We'd had him since I was an infant. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thanks. My parents told me that it's okay to be hurt. The whole family hurts. Even my father didn't want to be in the room when it happened. He witnessed another one of our dogs be put down when I was little and he said he is still hurt when he remembers how she picked her head up and looked at him as the doctor began. My mother had to drive me home yesterday because I was crying so much.

I'm so sorry to hear that, rt1ky. So many people losing pets right now.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I'm so sorry for your loss rtiky. I still miss my dog who was 19 when I had him euthanized and that was about 7 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    I'm so sorry for your loss rtiky. I still miss my dog who was 19 when I had him euthanized and that was about 7 years ago.

I think a little part of us also goes when our little ones are put to rest. I still hurt for my kitties in 1970, my dogs in 1974 my timmy tabby from 1993.. Once in a while it's good to look at pictures and cry, otherwise we always remember the fun we had.

horsnhound and rt1ky, sorry for your respective losses.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

rt1ky, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I think other pets in the home feel the loss just as much as we do, as they spend more time with each other while us humans are at work, school, etc. Give the other doggies lots of hugs and kisses.

Thanks everyone. It really helps to hear your stories. One of my favorite memories was when he tried to attack a light-up, moving Santa Clause that we use as a Christmas decoration. He thought is was an intruder and was defending the family and his turf. He kept running to it then running to us to follow him to go see it. Then he finally tried to attack. He also used to meet me at the bus stop after school, until my dad figured out how he was getting out under the fence in the backyard. We had to put a stop to that in case someone picked him up. Dad didn't trust some of our neighbors.

The other dogs got extra time in the backyard today and we have a lot of treats, tummy and back of the ear rubs for them. My father even delayed their baths for day, since they hate taking baths.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 06-04-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Oh rt1ky: I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear puppy. 16 years is pretty old for a dog isn't it? I'm sure he had a very good life with you and your family. Remember the good and fun things. And that he will have many many furry friends over Rainbow Bridge.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread