+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Stargazer you're the Florence Nightingale of the Animal Kingdom How lucky those kittens are to have you, with your time and patience, to help them get strong and healthy. What happened to the mother cat? Maybe she just couldn't handle the kittens or is sickly herself?

Hornshound, I'm sorry about your loss too. I lost one of mine in Jan. but she went on her own before I could get her to the vet. For some reason, that helped me get through it a little easier then when we had to put another one down several years ago. It took me months to recover from his passing.

Yesterday I got my kit cat (my new name term for him since he's no longer a kitten but not yet a cat - oh no, sounds like a Britney Spears song!) anyway, he was neutered yesterday. He's been fine, just a little sore. My husband was laughing because the poor little guy couldn't quite sit down. His butt would hover just above the ground. I got him pain meds and thought I'd give it a try just putting the whole pill (they're pretty small) in some wet food and he ate the whole thing! I hope he continues to do that with the rest of them. He took the one this morning without incident so I'm optimistic.

I also got my dog's teeth cleaned - something I've never done with any of my pets and he's almost 9. His teeth look so great now. Being a Min Schnauzer the hair around his mouth is like a lint brush for food and other stuff and his mouth really does get nasty sometimes. I try to keep it clean but knew getting them done professionally would be in his best interest.

I've never tried brushing his teeth but maybe he'll let me. Anyone have any ideas of snacks that will help keep them clean?

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    horsnhound, I am sorry for your loss too. It isn't an easy thing to do, but we owe it to our babies to stop the suffering. We cannot keep them around just because we are going to be sad. I went through this. I kept putting off doing the right thing with Sam. Finally one day, I just looked at him and knew it was time to let go.

Star, those little guys are so adorable and I'm not really a cat person
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    What happened to the mother cat? Maybe she just couldn't handle the kittens or is sickly herself?
    Oh, basically she's a dingbat. She's a great cat, but a lousy mother. It was her first litter and she had them when she was barely an adult herself. I've heard it's not uncommon for cats to do that with their first litter. I won't find out if she'd improve with subsequent litters because she's going to be fixed as soon as the little ones are weaned (they still appear to be getting SOME milk from her now, just not enough).
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

horsnhound, my condolences to you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Oh, basically she's a dingbat. She's a great cat, but a lousy mother. It was her first litter and she had them when she was barely an adult herself. I've heard it's not uncommon for cats to do that with their first litter. I won't find out if she'd improve with subsequent litters because she's going to be fixed as soon as the little ones are weaned (they still appear to be getting SOME milk from her now, just not enough).
    Speaking of dingbat cats, years ago I had a cat who had her babies in my silverware drawer. It's a long story that I told about a year ago somewhere on FoRT, so I won't go back through the details. But basically she was able to snake up into the drawer from behind (it was an old house), and she chose the knives and forks as the perfect birthing spot. She and I spent hours with me moving them, and her putting them back, until she finally relented and decided the box I prepared was a better a deal.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

horsenhound: I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dearest Charlie. I love all God's furry angels, whether they purr or bark.

Stargazer: Thank you for posting your sweet little babies. They are adorable! They should be fostered as twins together! Then they'll never need someone else to play with.

I've always wanted an orange kitty. I was only allowed an orange kitten puppet when I was small, and come to think of it, I named her Tigger! I still have her somewhere in my old chest of keepsakes. Worn as she is.

It was nice to see some joyful little animals again. I was almost too afraid to check in this thread for getting more sad
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by horsnhound View Post
    UnkleScott,
    I too am soo sorry for your loss. We just had to euthanize our dog three weeks ago (haven't been on the board since) and the memories and pain are still raw. Hardest thing to do. Kindest thing you can do. The unconditional love they give us is so amazing. Treasure your wonderful memories of Tigger and know that he is peaceful, grateful for all that you have done for him, and pain free now. I know it is hard to even entertain the idea of owning another pet right now, but please don't close the door on the idea entirely. The most loving way we can honor our pets is to provide a loving home to a new pet that may be left out in the cold or waiting to die before their life has even begun. You obviously are blessed with a huge heart and offer a wonderful home to a pet that may really need it once you are ready.
    Bless you,
    Ericka
    Very well said, Ericka. I am also so sorry for your loss, and I know when we lost Marley (I can't believe it's been almost 3 years ago) the best thing we did was getting another Golden right away. We got Katie a week after Marley died. That's not the right choice for everybody, but I will say that if and when you decide to get another pet you will know when the time is right.

Thanks Marley.
    We have two "children" still at home who miss their brother, but we keep them busy with daily walks around the lake and trips to the dog park. We will probably take in another rescue pretty soon but are just taking a short respite for now. I am so thankful that I have these two love puffs to keep me active, happy, and mostly neurosis free I keep telling my husband to brace himself because when I win the Lotto I will be buying a massive parcel of land and adopting or rescuing anything that walks on 4 legs (cats, dogs, horses, pigs, goats,.....) as well as two (chickens, ducks etc...) and hiring the homeless, abused, and down on their lucks to help me take care of them ( in my perfect world)

Quote Originally Posted by horsnhound View Post
    ...when I win the Lotto I will be buying a massive parcel of land and adopting or rescuing anything that walks on 4 legs (cats, dogs, horses, pigs, goats,.....) as well as two (chickens, ducks etc...) and hiring the homeless, abused, and down on their lucks to help me take care of them ( in my perfect world)
    I really like your idea of a perfect world. I wouldn't mind doing the Canadian version of that, if it's OK?!! (but I'd replace pigs with alpacas)
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Premium Member
    Good for you horsnhound. You are a special person to take in homeless animals. Two of our Goldens came from either rescue or the Humane Society. Our lives were so much richer for having had them in our home.

+ Reply to Thread