+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Thanks all. I knew I would be sad when the time came but I wasn't prepared for it to happen so soon and I didn't know it would hit us both so hard. I think part of my sadness is knowing how sad my b/f is at his passing and knowing that our little family will never be the same without him. My Lily (the pug) is trying to figure out what's wrong and I think she knows he's gone and I'm sure she will miss him the most since they would spend all day together. Thanks again for the support!

I purchased a cookbook from our local Humane Society and thought I would share this recipe. Our dogs LOVE this one and the book has a few kitty recipes too. I'd be happy to post those as well. PGM - very sorry to hear about Rocky. Our thoughts are with you.

Kibble Crunchies
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 cup oil
    1 cup kibble/dry dog food (small pieces work best)
    2 bouillion cubes (beef or chicken)
    3/4 cup warm water

Dissolve cubes in warm water.
    Mix with oil and flour in medium bowl.
    Add dry dog food.
    Using hands, form into stiff dough and pat/roll out to 1/4 inch thick.
    Cut into shapes or strips and bake at 300 for 30-32 minutes.
    Cool on wire rack and store in airtight container.

I hope that your dogs enjoy this as much as ours have!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Sounds like a good receipe doxie, I wonder though if the high sodium content in the boullion cubes causes any problems like some foods do for cats?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Gabriel, Dogs have problems with sodium too. Henry had a horrid stomach problem a few years ago and we were advised by our vet not to feed our dogs canned food or too much "human" food. The recipe that I posted is just an occasional treat but I might try low-sodium beef broth instead of the boullion and water the next time I make it for Simon and Henry.

So, do you think that Mona and Joey (and I love their pictures on this thread) would like some easy to make kitty treats?
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie View Post

So, do you think that Mona and Joey (and I love their pictures on this thread) would like some easy to make kitty treats?
    Quite frankly, I could see the scenario going like this:
    1- wait/sleep while daddy is gone spending time shopping for ingredients.
    2- sniff bags and stick heads in after daddy comes home and has to put bags on floor as usual or we trip him.
    3- watch daddy take stuff to kitchen and unpack with amused looks on our faces.
    4- walk in between daddys feet while he is in kitchen trying to make us a treat.
    5- intently stare at plates of food in daddys hand as he puts them on our tables for us to eat.
    6- sniff the "treats".
    7- look at each other
    8- walk away from treats and go give daddy the I am STARVING look and MEOW.
    9- watch daddy throw hands up in air while grumbling some type of gibberish.
    10- After daddy has put our food out, sniff it, walk away and go take a nap.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Dog Rescue Organizations

Does anyone have any experience working with Dog Rescue orgs to place dogs? We have a "home interview" tomorrow and wanted to know what to expect and what they are looking for in a good home for placement. I feel like we are adopting a baby and want to do and say everything right. We have crates for our dogs and they sleep in their crates at night. They can go in there whenever they want to and sometimes sleep earlier than their bedtimes. I keep saying they and their but we only one one right now due to Rocky's passing last week.

Thanks in advance!

My poor Tigger is in the hospital. For the past month he has been eating less and less. At this point he was eating only about a 1/4 can of food a day. He was not himself, stayed under the bed instead of beside me all the time, didn't go nuts for food in the morning as he there was always food in his dish. Turns out he only weighed 6 pounds (he was 12 back in '04 the last time I had him at the vet). He was dehydrated, and his kidneys have many, many nodules on them. The vet is running blood tests, put him on an IV and is going to get back to me this afternoon. I'm hoping it's not the first signs of kidney failure but the reality of the situation is that he's 19 years old and could very well be on his last leg. We'll see.

Unklescott, I am so sorry about Tigger. It is so hard to face losing a companion and family member, particularly when he's been with you for so long. I hope his remaining time is comfortable and you have my deepest hope that he has some happy days left.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

The vet just called and it appears he just has an infection of some sort. His red blood count/cells look normal and his white is very high. His glucose level is high but she said that is to be expected with a stressed out kitty and that she doesn't think he is diabetic, Kidneys appear normal, liver looks good. She's putting him on an IV with antibiotics. He has to stay in the hospital until at least Friday, maybe Saturday. I'm so happy!

I'm happy for you and Tigger too. Looks like my hope for more happy days has born fruit.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread