+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1136Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

canuckinchile, I love your new baby...such a sweet face!
    I saw the thing about Rajah earlier today, and it's very sad. I'm surprised that the monks didn't know that the new year's celebration might cause this kind of problem!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Canuckinchile: Oooo. Mastiff's are sooooo big when they grow up. And beautiful too. Congrats on the new "baby".

That is very sad about the elephant. I know the monk's actions were well-intended but really. The zoo should have kept it to a small donation if at all. The poor elephant. That would be a HUGE tummy ache.

Here's some good news! I'm so glad they kept going and didn't give up on Molly!

N.Y. Rescuers Go High-Tech to Save Cat
    By KAREN MATTHEWS, AP ONLINE

NEW YORK (AP) - Rescuers used drills, miniature cameras, cat food and even a 1-pound raw fish in a desperate effort Wednesday to entice an 11-month old cat named Molly from behind the basement wall of a Greenwich Village delicatessen where she has been trapped for 12 days.

The effort was renewed early in the day when workers heard the cat meowing again after several days of silence that had given rise to fears she had died. "That was a motivator to try again," said Mike Pastore, field director of Animal Care & Control of New York City, a private agency that handles animal rescues on a city contract.

Pastore led the rescue team trying to locate the peripatetic pussycat with a tiny video camera attached to a plumber's snake. But the sound of the drill may have spooked Molly to retreat further into the maze under the front wall of the 19th-century brick building, which extends back about 40 feet from the sidewalk.

Pastore said Molly, being a curious sort, apparently slipped into a narrow space between two buildings and fell or crawled through a hole into the space inside the cellar wall.

The police and fire departments also have been on the scene but as of Wednesday were leaving the job to Pastore.

"This is the most difficult case of this kind I've ever been on," said Pastore, whose agency receives an average of 120 stray or surrendered dogs and cats per day for temporary care and adoption.

Others pitched in to help. Neighbors left cans of cat food on the steps, and Renato Migliorini, proprietor of Piccolo Angolo, an Italian restaurant at Hudson Street, delivered a whole fresh fish called a branzino.

"I hope it will come out because I love cats and dogs," Migliorini said.

The day's search efforts ended by 9 p.m., when rescuers laid out a trap for Molly.

The fact that the building is landmarked by the city makes breaking into the walls a more delicate proposition, Pastore said. He said Molly may be blocked from reaching food left for her and it was unclear whether she has access to water dripping from a drain. "We are concerned about dehydration," he said.

Molly is the resident mouser at Myers of Keswick, a popular West Village delicatessen catering to a specialized clientele with clotted creme, Scotch eggs and other British food products not available in American stores.

Normally she sleeps in a basket inside the store, said Peter Myers, who opened the store 20 years ago. Myers said he periodically pays a $300 fine for the health violation, "but if I didn't have the cat I would be paying a $300 fine for having mice in the store. I saw a mouse running across the kitchen floor this morning."

A few neighbors watched the activity but were outnumbered by the television crews and other news media on the scene.

At midday, three observers from the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission showed up to make sure no serious structural damage occurs. The four-story building, dating from the mid-19th century, is in one of Gotham's historic districts.

http://channels.aol.ca/news/article....12213709990004
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Attachment 17018Attachment 17019Attachment 17020

The Canada Geese are returning! A gaggle of them just flew overhead honking loudly and happily. Spring is here!
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:26 AM.

EasterBeasts

Simon and Henry enjoying their Easter baskets! Happy Easter!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Aw, Doxie, they are both just so precious. That Henry is just such a sweetie, I remember him from American's Next Top Pet Model.

They had a pet parade in Dallas today for in one of the parks. I wish I had known about it beforehand, I could have taken my chihuahua Sue and paraded her in her Easter finery.
    I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...

MRD
    I know chocolate is bad for dogs, but what about Jelly Beans?

Bogie has apparantly gotten into the Jelly beans my husband left out. I don't think he got a huge amount, but he ate some. I swear the dog is a goat.

One year at easter he got in the Easter basket and ate about a pound of chocolate, we called the vet and he said to give the dog hydrogen peroxide. Well he said take him outside first as it works quick. The dog vomited up the chocolate AND a plastic easter egg!

When I was filling my daughter's basket last night, I was sitting on the bed and he sat next to me smelling EVERYTHING that went in the basket and he kept wagging his tail and looking at me expectently. I actually think he remembers the year he ate out of the easter basket and expected to do it again! LOL
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post

Bogie has apparantly gotten into the Jelly beans my husband left out. I don't think he got a huge amount, but he ate some. I swear the dog is a goat.

One year at easter he got in the Easter basket and ate about a pound of chocolate, we called the vet and he said to give the dog hydrogen peroxide. Well he said take him outside first as it works quick. The dog vomited up the chocolate AND a plastic easter egg!

When I was filling my daughter's basket last night, I was sitting on the bed and he sat next to me smelling EVERYTHING that went in the basket and he kept wagging his tail and looking at me expectently. I actually think he remembers the year he ate out of the easter basket and expected to do it again! LOL
    ........I think you're right.....he is a
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post

He'll be ok, its the cocoa in chocolate that's bad for dogs, and jellybeans are pretty much just sugar.
    Bogie sounds like a cat I used to have that would even eat pickles if he saw a person with them!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Doxxy: Simon and Henry look so very happy! No wonder they enjoy Easter. What a lovely basket.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    I swear the dog is a goat.
    Maybe braces would slow him down?

Thanks for everyone's kind comments about Simon and Henry!

Rosie, I think most Jack Russells are like that. Simon once jumped up on our table and ate all of the toppings off of a large pizza in about one minute while I was out of the room. But, a friend of mine's JRT was even worse! They came home one night and poor Jake was on the floor with his stomach all swollen and he had "orange stuff" all over his face..... It turns out that he had eaten an ENTIRE pumpkin pie. Not only was the pie gone, but the foil that had been covering the pie was gone and so they rushed him to the vet because they thought he'd eaten that too. It turned out that he had not eaten it but they still couldn't find it. About six weeks later, they moved and found the foil hidden under a piece of furniture. The funniest part of the story is that the pie was left on a kitchen island and the only way that they could figure out that he could get to it was to climb onto a chair, then onto the counter and jump across to the island......

I hope Bogie isn't feeling too ill after his jelly-bean feast!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread