+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

I'm sorry Igotalife to have offended you. I didn't realize that high frequency collars are different than those that shock. I've never had a dog so I've only read about the ones that are hurtful. (since gabriel is a cat person, he misunderstood as well).

I also should have clarified my wording of behavior modification. With respect to my kitty, I would make she sure knew when I was leaving and returning home, thinking it wouldn't stress her out. But that however, was exactly what it was doing. I had to modify my behavior and just come and go without making a big deal about it. That hasn't happened with my other kitties. Just Snowflake.

So I guess I just thought that maybe when Homie saw you leave to go on the other side of the fence, he was thinking you may not come back, and that's why he was crawling over the fence. He was getting anxious about separating from you.

Please accept my sincere apologies. You are very kind to take Homie in to your Home and your heart.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Igotalife - kudos to you for adopting Homie.

I'd suggest getting him a crate. A crate is less expensive than a bark-collar or a shock collar and it's much easier to deal with. Homie probably won't like it at first, but he'll get used to it, you will KNOW that he is safe (as opposed to him trying to claw his way over the fence) and, best of all, after the crate-training is over with, you'll have a happy Homie who probably will sleep in the crate at night and not try to escape from the yard again. This worked for us (although it is doubtful that our little dogs could leap a fence - lol - they love their crates though!). Good Luck!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Pit Bull mothers kittens

We hear so many negative things about this breed that it's nice to read something positive. With the right owner these dogs can be sweet and gentle. Make sure you watch the video!

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/ente...77/detail.html

Owner Says Dog Sheltering Little Cats

POSTED: 7:10 am EDT April 5, 2006
    UPDATED: 8:23 am EDT April 5, 2006

BOSTON -- A local Pit Bull's motherly behavior is belying the fierce stereotype that often characterizes her breed.

A dog named Ramona in Stoughton, Mass., has become the mom for three orphaned kittens.

Ramona's owner is fostering the kittens until they can be placed for adoption.

She said since they arrived, Ramona takes care of them like they were her own.

She cleans them, watches over them and showers them with affection.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by doxie View Post
    I'd suggest getting him a crate. A crate is less expensive than a bark-collar or a shock collar and it's much easier to deal with. Homie probably won't like it at first, but he'll get used to it, you will KNOW that he is safe (as opposed to him trying to claw his way over the fence) and, best of all, after the crate-training is over with, you'll have a happy Homie who probably will sleep in the crate at night and not try to escape from the yard again. This worked for us (although it is doubtful that our little dogs could leap a fence - lol - they love their crates though!). Good Luck!
    Thank you very much for the tip doxie! My fiance and I discussed this very thing last night. Homie has not had any training (behavior or potty) so I think we are going to look into our local Petsmart that has a "doggie day care" that can work with your dog on training during the day AND allow him to socialize with other dogs. In the meantime, we may crate him at night to start so he can stay "in" the house with us (for more family closeness) and we decided on a 6' picket for the fence. He is just very very timid so we don't want to do too much at once to overwhelm him and the crate may be a good place to start.

He is a really very, very good dog and our vet told us to be patient with him and that is what we are trying to do. He is estimated to be around 2 yrs old so it is harder to train an adult dog than a puppy, but we love him so it will happen with time and patience.

Thank you for the responses Gabriel and Misskitty. I think it is safe to say that anyone that posts in this thread wouldn't want to do anything to harm their pets.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    We hear so many negative things about this breed that it's nice to read something positive. With the right owner these dogs can be sweet and gentle. Make sure you watch the video!
    Thanks for posting that, it brought a smile to my face bright and early in the a.m. I love my lhasa, but I don't hesitate to say she hasn't a single maternal bone in her body.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fogey
    Hey Igotawickedbigheart, I am very confident that with a little time and patience you will train Homie to be the perfect dog.

I've adopted 15 dogs so far in life, most from rescue groups. Most of them came to me with one problem or another -- health problems, behavior problems, grooming problems, etc., etc.

I have never met a dog who couldn't be turned into an awsesome, loving, obedient, well-behaved pet, and I know your guy can get there, too.

I often buy my animal supplied from a company called Jeffers Pet.

I like them because when you call there you can talk as long as you want to talk to the Customer Service Representatives, all of whom are knowledgeable and very eager to help.

The only "problem" is that the company's in the south, so if you're a Yankee like me you may have trouble deciphering that accent of theirs. . . .

I suggest you contact Jeffers Pet. If they recommend anything, I can guarantee that you'll pay about 1/3 of what you'd pay in a pet store. Best of all, they have a great return policy.

www.jefferspet.com

1-800-533-3377
    Last edited by Pomeraniac; 04-06-2006 at 03:39 AM.

ArchieComicFan: Thanks for the video. It's so sweet. I love when two different breeds of animals bond for whatever reasons. It constantly amazes me.

Here's a photo of a baby hippo that bonded with a giant tortoise after he was separated from it's mom during a hurricaine. They are inseparable now.
    Go figure.

J. and I took photos of Henry for our Easter cards. Here's one example.

Happy Easter, everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Henry is so cute with his rabbit ears on! Does he get better reception with them? I think he may be seasonally challenged though --- it looks like he has Christmas balls around him still.

So when he is in this state does he know that he is still a and not a ?

Henry's "basket" picture contains Easter Eggs! Not Christmas balls - lol - although it is kind of hard to tell what they are. Thanks for your compliment Miss Kitty, we think that Henry is pretty darn cute too.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread