+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1385Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Koko looks so good with his new 'do Pom!

I need some advice for my newest member of the family...the dog that "found" us a few weeks back. Yes, we decided to keep him, and we've called him "Homie" since he was homie-less, but now it seems as though Homie doesn't understand what it takes to keep a home....that he can't climb a 4' wooden fence!!!

In his effort to maintain that lovin' feeling (cuz he justs loves to be pet and talked to), shortly after we try and leave, he has learned how to climb over the fence to our shock and amazement. It's the most bizarre, hysterical, but serious thing you'd ever see.

We have a a short, cedar fence used to connect the house to the detached garage (the breezeway) and it has a gate so you can get into the backyard without having to go through the garage. He claws his way to the top and up and over he goes, but only if he knows we are leaving or standing in the front talking to neighbors and he can't stand not being part of the action.

We don't plan to stay in the house for more than a year longer so I don't want to do anything too expensive or that may be dangerous/and a pain for my children (like an electric shock wire). I can't replace the boards with a taller fence due to deed restrictions.

Has anyone had any exposure to stuff like this? We're thinking of the high frequency collars or sensors but didn't know if they were really effective.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    well I got two dogs adopted out yesterday....we had to let Monty go the grey aussie because he was starting to bite the others too much when he got ob=verly excited and the wife just can't keep him under control, and the semi-blind german shepherd, Amber, has finally found a home. I am down to 4 dogs i own and one more foster to be adopted out

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife View Post
    .... he has learned how to climb over the fence to our shock and amazement. It's the most bizarre, hysterical, but serious thing you'd ever see.
    I am shocked that you want to shock your Homie. It sounds like separation anxiety. I'd talk to a vet first and see what you behavior modifications both Homie and You may need to do. My beloved Snowflake (RIP) was getting that and I didn't realize I was contributing to it. Considering he's used to being homeless and abandoned, I would really want you to try other methods first.

joeguy: That's so kind of you to foster pups to be adopted.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I am shocked that you want to shock your Homie. It sounds like separation anxiety. I'd talk to a vet first and see what you behavior modifications both Homie and You may need to do. My beloved Snowflake (RIP) was getting that and I didn't realize I was contributing to it. Considering he's used to being homeless and abandoned, I would really want you to try other methods first.

joeguy: That's so kind of you to foster pups to be adopted.
    misskitty, I don't think igotalife was meaning she was literally shocking her dog...I think she meant she was "shocked" that he was climbing over the fence.... Right, igotalife?!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    misskitty, I don't think igotalife was meaning she was literally shocking her dog...I think she meant she was "shocked" that he was climbing over the fence.... Right, igotalife?!
    No she is talking about those collars and the invisible fencing that do SHOCK the dog....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

There are also behavior modification collars that don't shock, instead they emit a high frequency.

Wow Pom - Koko looks like somebody really cares about him now. Great job! When I was a youngster, I use to babysit for a family that owned a dog like Koko. Her name was Sushi. The kids use to say that Sushi always looked like a overworked housewife who didn't have time to do her hair. No matter how much I tried to help groom her, it was a feeble attempt. That family just didn't get that dogs do not groom themselves.
    Igotalife - I know people in my neighborhood who use those collars. Kind of weird, but one family who owns a golden retreiver said it wasn't worth the money. Their dog Lucy just runs right through the barrier - and gets a bit of a shock. She lets out a yelp and keeps on a runnin'. My advice is to take the pooch to some obedience training.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty
    I am shocked that you want to shock your Homie. It sounds like separation anxiety. I'd talk to a vet first and see what you behavior modifications both Homie and You may need to do.
    I'm somewhat offended by someone who would suggest that I need behavior modification when my post states that I was asking about the high frequency kind of collars and NOT the electric shock ones (read again, I mentioned my kids/safety )...there are higher frequencies that dogs can hear (like dog whistles used in training) but humans cannot and they are not harmful, but your opinion may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by igotalife
    I don't want to do anything too expensive or that may be dangerous/and a pain for my children (like an electric shock wire).

Has anyone had any exposure to stuff like this? We're thinking of the high frequency collars or sensors but didn't know if they were really effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama
    I don't think igotalife was meaning she was literally shocking her dog...I think she meant she was "shocked" that he was climbing over the fence.... Right, igotalife?!
    Yes, thank you.

I didn't take this poor dog into our home to mistreat him. I am SHOCKED that he can jump over a 4' fence and thought this may be a good place to come for advice....training is good and he definitely needs it SLOWLY, but in the meantime, I have to find a way QUICKLY to keep him within our fence so he is not running in the streets again. It is a danger to him that he jumps over the fence NOW.

Thanks for the info Ana Bananna. That is what I was afraid of about the effectiveness....and the one I saw was $260. I think we're going to use taller pickets or lattice on the top to enclose the partition for the time being.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Igota, I understood EXACTLY what you were saying - it was clearer than clear to me. *sigh*

Big kudos to you for adopting "Homie" and making him a part of your family, and for trying to find a solution that will keep him a part of your faimjly.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

my apologies for the "shocking" post. Teaches me to wait until I've had my coffee.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread