+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I was scratching my head for a second there Pom!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

To Russia with Hooves

I am exicted about this because these bison came from Elk Island Park which is just outside of my city. I've been there many times and they are amazing beautiful animals that just roam freely around the park. You can get within a couple of feet from them. They're gentle giant creatures. And smelly. I wouldn't want to be the one flying the plane though. That would be scary.

Attachment 16832Attachment 16833Attachment 16834
    ----------------------------------------
    Russia's bison back after an age on ice
    Jeremy Page, Moscow
    March 31, 2006

A HERD of bison is to be flown from western Canada to far-eastern Russia next month, more than 5000 years after they died out in the region.

The first 30 animals from Elk Island National Park in Alberta will take a 15-hour flight on a cargo plane to the republic of Yakutia, 8000km east of Moscow, as part of a plan to establish an ice age wildlife park.

The bison, travelling in crates lined with non-slip rubber, will be released into the wild in the 78,500ha Lenskiye Stolby Nature Park. While being held in quarantine, the animals are being fattened up on hay, alfalfa cubes and molasses fortified with vitamins, washed down with what their Canadian keepers describe as a bison energy drink.

The bison will be the latest additions to the Yakutian authorities' project to realise Pleistocene Park, an ice age nature reserve featuring species that were made extinct in the region by overhunting.

The idea was hatched by Sergei Zimov, a local scientist, who opened Pleistocene Park near the town of Chersky in 1996.

His son, Nikita, said: "My father's idea is to regenerate the ecological system with the help of animals that lived here thousands of years ago."

The vast region, about five times the size of France, supplies almost a quarter of the world's rough diamonds and has 20 per cent of Russian gold reserves, as well as huge deposits of oil and gas. Local authorities are eager to diversify the regional economy, especially into tourism, to create jobs for the one million people living in Yakutia.

Several hundred wild horses have been introduced into the park, along with musk oxen imported from another part of Siberia. The ultimate goal is to reintroduce the woolly mammoth, which died out in the region about 13,000 years ago.

Scientists estimate the carcasses of as many as 10 million mammoths are buried in the permafrost that covers huge swaths of far-eastern Russia.

A Japanese team hopes to clone one of the extinct giant beasts by harvesting DNA from the frozen legs or sperm of a mammoth found by a hunter in Yakutia in 1994.

If they are able to extract sperm, they plan to impregnate an Indian elephant and then repeat the process with the next two generations to produce an 88per cent pure mammoth within 50 years.

The alternative is to clone the mammoth from DNA found in soft tissue that has been removed from the frozen legs and placed in enormous freezers in the Museum of the Mammoth in Yakutsk, the Yakutian capital.

Nikita Zimov said: "Of course, it is all a little bit fantastic but, if it succeeds, we will reintroduce mammoths."

Local authorities warmed to the idea of an ice age wildlife park after recovering the mammoth legs and approached Canadian authorities soon after to ask for the bison.

The Canadians offered to donate the animals - 15 males and 15 females - for nothing, but Yakutian authorities could not afford the transport costs, estimated at $360,000, until now.

The Times
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E30417,00.html
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:23 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey
    Sorry, Mav, but you know me -- I can be a brat!! The truth of the matter is, that picture of the you-know-what (I can't even stand to see the word snake written) that misskitty posted scares the crap out of me, so I'm trying to fill the pages with posts so that the pictures will soon be on other pages and I won't have to look at the scary thing when I open this thread!!!

Ana Bannana, I've been PMing you and I hope things are getting better for your family these days. My hope and prayer for you guys is that you'll soon be able to focus on all the good times and happy memories that Fletch brought to you, over the years, rather than on this difficult time. I know it will happen eventually, and I sincerely hope it's soon for you all.

In my animal world I have some news to report:

1. I have been using the LEBA III DENTAL SPRAY on THE POMERANIANS for almost two weeks now, and I'm starting to see an improvement in their teeth. The directions say I should apply it twice daily for the first month, and I've been doing that.

I'll let you know how the teeth are doing in a couple of more weeks, and if the results are great then I'll help anyone who's interested in getting some for your own pets.

2. I bought the DOGGY STEPS that I mentioned up thread. They haven't been delivered yet but they'll arrive during this upcoming week and I'll keep you posted on those, too.

Powder's almost 13 so she doesn't even like to jump up and down to and from her chair anymore, so I'm glad that the stairs will help her continue to enjoy her precious throne.

I took Powder and Tuxedo to the vet's at 8:00 a.m. today and then relaxed for a bit, and now I have a Wheaton Terrier over here and I'm about to "blitz" her. In other words, I'm going to clip her all the way for the Spring.

Her name is Koko and she just survived a near-deadly health problem due to a Lyme Disease infection. I've lived with Lyme since 1994 so she and I are kindred spirits!!!

I'm going to take a couple of "BEFORE" pictures on my cell-phone-camera, and then I'll take some "AFTER" shots, too.

I'll post 'em later this weekend.

Enjoy your pets, everyone, and HAPPY SPRING to you all!!!

I'm sorry Pom for scaring you. I just really thought the image was cool. So here's a cuter one for you and lambikins! I'm really looking forward to seeing your before and after pics of the poms. I don't think you can "blitz" a cat...............and survive.

FORT Fogey
    Thanks very much, misskitty!!! That little sheepy is much, much more my speed!!!

It also reminds me of the pictures I took of Koko "BEFORE" I blitzed her:

A couple of hours (and a couple of ABBA CDs) later my little pal looked like this (standing next to the bag of hair I clipped, in the first pic):

I'll keep grooming this dog every six weeks or so, indefinitely. As long as we keep her new coat well-groomed and bathed there should be no more matting and no need to clip her so short again.

ETA: When I dropped her off at her owners' home, their five-year old son peed in his pants, 'cause he was so shocked by her new 'do.

That is not the same dog. It can't be. She's half the size! And she's NAKED!! I didn't think we could post those kind of photos on this site.

No wonder the little guy peed his pants. But how does KOKO feel about it? Is she acting different at all? Like cold... Or embarassed... Or confident? I've heard that sometimes pups can be a bit traumatized if the haven't been clipped before. And if that's what being clipped is, I'd hate to see shaved.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    aww little KOKO.......we use to have a couple of Keeshond and we would clip them down every summer because it gets so hot and humid in Alabama and those dogs aren't really made for that kind of weather....and they would wind up looking like KOKO's after pictures (except we kept the hair on their heads a little fuller)......it was a major ordeal to do it but if we didn't their hair would mat up in knots that were a bitch to cut out.....

not our dog but what a keeshond looks like...
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    But how does KOKO feel about it? Is she acting different at all? Like cold... Or embarassed... Or confident?
    She was relieved and happy when the huge chunk of carpet that was clinging to her trunk was finally peeled off by the clippers. Her coat was matted from head to toe, so clipping it off was an act of kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    aww little KOKO.......we use to have a couple of Keeshond and we would clip them down every summer because it gets so hot and humid in Alabama and those dogs aren't really made for that kind of weather....and they would wind up looking like KOKO's after pictures (except we kept the hair on their heads a little fuller)......
    I'd have preferred to leave some eyebrows and a moustache but every bit of her hair was clumped and matted. It all had to go, 'cause it was too scummy to get any kind of brush or comb through it.

FRIENDLY REMINDER: BRUSH YOUR PETS ON A REGULAR BASIS, PEOPLE!!! If you own an animal with a long coat, take time to groom it. It's not rocket science. Save everyone the trouble of having to get the pet clipped down to nothing.

For the record, compare the following picture of what a well-maintained Wheaten Terrier (Koko's breed) is supposed to look like to one of Koko's "BEFORE" pictures:

I'm glad Koko is happy. Let's not forget to brush our kitties as well. If you don't, they look something like this when they are shaved, which isn't very pretty I've seen them at the shelter a few times.

Attachment 16841 Attachment 16842
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:23 AM.

Premium Member
    One of the guys that comes to the dog park gets his Golden Retreiver, Opie, clipped down to nothing every summer except he still has the big bushy tail. I didn't even recognize him the first time I saw him all nakey, he looked so silly.
    Good job Pom, I'm sure Koko feels so much better without that scruffy mess of a coat. Looks like he could have had critters living in there.

+ Reply to Thread