+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Premium Member
    I ran it by my SIL who is a dog breeder, this is what she said:
    The reason vets want you to feed science diet is because Science Diet spend literally millions of dollars promoting their foods at vet schools around the country and give them great deals on the food for their offices, i.e free shelving and lots of free product to start with. Vet Schools spend very little time educating vets on nutrition I think someone told me that they only had one class in four years on nutrition in vet school. When if fed the right food you can prevent so many problems! If Science Diet would spend this money on ingredients the food would be a lot better. This looks like a really fair test for the quality of a food.
    That is interesting, I know that all the vets sell Science Diet in their offices so they always want you to feed it to your pets.
    My SIL feeds Canidae to her dogs, which scored an A+ on this scale. I found a couple of places in Omaha that carry it so I'm going to give it a try. They have Felidae for cats so I'm going to try it for Pumpkin too.

I have to agree that vets don't get much nutrition education, my vet told me that I could feed 2 year old Katie the same Senior dog food that Dolly eats.. yeah right, next thing we knew Katie had gained 12 pounds. My vet can kiss my butt, I am not buying any more Science Diet.

This heart-warming story ran in our news this evening. Thought I'd share.

A pitbull named Neville went from near death to being a successful bomb detection dog. New legislation in Ontario put the dog in danger. He was fostered for as long as people could and eventually caught the eye of a lady, Diane Jessup who has an awesome program called, Law Dogs. Law Dogs is a program to find homeless APBT's and other bullies and test them for police work as detection dogs for drugs and bombs. With assistance and donations, Neville made the trip to Seattle, WA.

Neville passed his final test with flying colors and he was accepted into the State Patrols program. Neville immediately went into training and graduated in August 2005.

Imagine that for a moment. From a dog scheduled to be put to sleep simply for being a Pit Bull to Officer Neville of the Washington State Patrol in 5 months. Today Officer Neville screens over 200 cars a day on the Washington State Ferry system to help keep us safe from bombs.

Attachment 16736Attachment 16737Attachment 16738Attachment 16739
    I wonder if there's such a thing as Law Cats? !
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:22 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I found out there are two new designer breeds of dogs I hadn't heard of. I think this is getting out of hand. One is a chiweenie (cross between a chichuahua and a dachshund) and the other a puggle (a pug and a beagle.) Have a look.

Attachment 16747 Attachment 16748
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:21 AM.

Humphrey, Downing Street Cat, Dies

May Humphrey rest in peace. He served his countrymen well. Mr Tootles and Miss Gracie are mourning this great loss and will be wearing black this week.
    -------------------------------------

Humphrey, cat who shared 10 Downing Street
    with British prime ministers, dies

Canadian Press
    Monday, March 20, 2006
    Attachment 16749Attachment 16750Attachment 16751Attachment 16752Attachment 16753

LONDON (AP) - Humphrey, the cat who shared 10 Downing Street with two British prime ministers but was evicted by current resident Tony Blair, has died. He was aged about 18.

Blair's office said late Sunday that Humphrey died last week at the home of a civil servant who had adopted him. The black-white stray wandered into Downing Street in 1989 when it was occupied by then-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, and was named in honour of Sir Humphrey Appleby, the Machiavellian civil servant in the sitcom Yes, Minister.

He remained under Thatcher's successor, John Major, but moved shortly after Blair took office in 1997, prompting a Conservative legislator to ask in the House of Commons for assurances he was still alive.

Blair's wife Cherie denied reports her dislike of cats was responsible for Humphrey's eviction. Officials said Humphrey was suffering from a kidney complaint and needed a quieter home in the suburbs.

In his heyday, Humphrey appeared regularly in the media, and once narrowly avoiding being squashed under the wheels of former U.S. president Bill Clinton's bullet proof Cadillac.

His death prompted newspaper tributes to the feline with a knack for keeping Downing Street free of mice. "Political world mourns a killer named Humphrey," said The Times.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/eu...phrey.dies.ap/
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I found out there are two new designer breeds of dogs I hadn't heard of. I think this is getting out of hand. One is a chiweenie (cross between a chichuahua and a dachshund) and the other a puggle (a pug and a beagle.) Have a look.

Attachment 16747 Attachment 16748
    You might want to check out this site http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/poodlemix.htm

Some notable mentions:

Jack-A-Poo - Jack Russell / Poodle mix
    Buggs - Boston Terrier / Pug mix
    Muggin - Min Pin / Pug Mix
    Paperanian - Papillion / Pom mix

I'm out of touch with overseas news and didn't even know about Humphrey but he looks like he was a beautiful kitty. RIP Humphrey

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Thanks everyone for your opinions on the stray we've been harboring.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    If you took him to the vet they must have scanned him for a microchip. I would keep him without hesitation and without guilt that somebody else is missing their dog.
    They did scan him for a microchip...nothing. Since it's been about 7 years or so since I last had a dog, I didn't even know about those things so when the doc took out an airport security looking device and ran it over his back and underside I was ; my last dog was tattoed. Glad to hear technology has advanced in the canine protection world.

Anyway, I picked up the black-dog-with-no-name-and-no-home from the vet this morning and he was in much better spirits than when I left him. He kept nudging me all the way home so I'd pet him. I think he likes us. Frosty our white kitty on the other hand, was like "what the h*** did you bring back???!!!" Assuming no phone calls this week from anyone and he acclimates in his new environment okay with the kids, we'll likely keep him.

A big for everyone here who would do the same for a lost pet.

Marleybone, very good info on the pet food...comes very timely. Thank you!
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Premium Member
    Your welcome Igotawonderfulnewdog! Welcome to the "we adopted a stray pet" club and good luck with him. Are you going to wait to pick out a name until you're sure you get to keep him? I'm sure you will, if nobody has come forward by now I doubt that anybody will at this point.

The dog food info really blew me away, it made me feel terrible because I always thought I was feeding my dogs the best food I could. Now I hate to even put the crap in their bowls but I'm also not going to throw it out. I am going to give a copy of this to my vet next time I go in. He did admit to me once that they don't get much in the way of nutrition education in vet school so I hope he will read it. The thing is, he is probably getting perks from Science Diet just like every other vet so it's not likely to prompt him to recommend the better pet foods.

Interesting info Marleybone. We have a natural pet food store pretty close by. On their recommendation, I feed Libby a food called Pinnacle. Like most Jack Russell Terriers she's not a gobbler. I leave food down pretty much all the time because she just eats a little when she's hungry. In fact, it's a big production involving dropping a single nugget on the rug next to her bowl and then picking it up and eating it. My mother's miniature schnauzer, on the other hand, will eat any kibble you put in front of her in 5 minutes or less. It's a pain when I'm taking care of my mother's dog to make sure my mom's dog doesn't eat both her food and Libby's but that Libby gets to eat.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Here are pictures I've taken of some of the birds in my backyard. The first is a pair of hawks who have a nest there and the second is of two piliated woodpeckers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

+ Reply to Thread