+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4278Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    I’ll try that - thanks. But she’s had the pill in and I thought swallowed and she’s hacked it up so I fought with her and got scratched up this morning and she missed a dose over it. After we did 6 doses pretty well and still have 3 more to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the "pilling a cat" advice Critical! Tilting Sassy's head back from behind her and opening her mouth from the side and putting the pill in worked. Since I was behind her, her front paws stayed flat in front of her on the table so no scratching at me. She was sort of surprised that I did that to her but was ok after. I put down treats for her to start eating, then I did it, then she went back to eating them. I hope I'm not traumatizing her too much. She only has 2 more doses - one on Tuesday and one more on Thursday.
    I kind of wish Pikachu would chime in here.
    Critical likes this.
    Most Likely To Love Her Selfie, While Coloring, Pistol Packin', & Loving Her Boxer Babies

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Thanks for the "pilling a cat" advice Critical! Tilting Sassy's head back from behind her and opening her mouth from the side and putting the pill in worked. Since I was behind her, her front paws stayed flat in front of her on the table so no scratching at me. She was sort of surprised that I did that to her but was ok after. I put down treats for her to start eating, then I did it, then she went back to eating them. I hope I'm not traumatizing her too much. She only has 2 more doses - one on Tuesday and one more on Thursday.
    We use pill pockets, the dogs think they are treats and wolf them down, they make them for cats as well..
    PGM35 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Today worked as easy as Sunday - she was sitting this time and I put some treats in front of her. when she looked to investigate, I put her head back and opened her mouth, snuck in the pill. She tried to gag but I closed her mouth and massaged her throat. She gave me the "Mona look" - hee hee Paul - but went to eat the treats in front of her after that. One more dose on Thursday and we're done. Her skin has pretty much cleared up and no more licking the area that I've noticed. yay Sassy!

Critical likes this.
    Most Likely To Love Her Selfie, While Coloring, Pistol Packin', & Loving Her Boxer Babies

I'm so glad it worked, PGM! I'm sure that technique doesn't work for all. Those little guys can be wily. I found that kneeling on the floor and holding them backwards in front of me so that, if they backed up, they had nowhere to go, worked well. They're so sensitive, so you just keep calm and mellow, pet them, love on them and then just tilt their head back and pop that pill in. Works almost every time.

I always had a MUCH harder time giving my cats and kittens Clavamox - that horrid pink liquid antibiotic that looks like Pepto Bismol. It ended up everywhere and, if you were lucky, some would make it into the cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    We use pill pockets, the dogs think they are treats and wolf them down, they make them for cats as well..
    Back in the days before pill pockets, we'd try to hide pills in our dog's food. Like the really good junk-y food that she'd practically inhale. After she'd finish it, there at the bottom of the bowl would be a tiny pill, about the size of a Sudafed, completely licked clean.
    PGM35 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yes! Same here Critical. The pill pockets are a godsend to me, they really are..in fact, once Simon knew what I was doing, he'd bark at the fridge( which is where I kept them in the summer) as if to say, come on, pill time!!!
    PGM35 and betty80 like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm so glad it worked, PGM! I'm sure that technique doesn't work for all. Those little guys can be wily. I found that kneeling on the floor and holding them backwards in front of me so that, if they backed up, they had nowhere to go, worked well. They're so sensitive, so you just keep calm and mellow, pet them, love on them and then just tilt their head back and pop that pill in. Works almost every time.

I always had a MUCH harder time giving my cats and kittens Clavamox - that horrid pink liquid antibiotic that looks like Pepto Bismol. It ended up everywhere and, if you were lucky, some would make it into the cat!

Back in the days before pill pockets, we'd try to hide pills in our dog's food. Like the really good junk-y food that she'd practically inhale. After she'd finish it, there at the bottom of the bowl would be a tiny pill, about the size of a Sudafed, completely licked clean.
    We used to dissolve Jaxi's pill in her food - with water - because yes, licked clean like she knew it was in there! hahaha!

I'll have to get pill pockets for future uses - she loves her treats so maybe she'll eat them that way. I had to coax her back in the house this morning after she made a run for it. I grabbed the treat jar and shook it and she came running. She does love a good treat or 2. The little hussy!
    Fanny Mare likes this.

We used to dissolve Jaxi's pill in her food - with water - because yes, licked clean like she knew it was in there! hahaha!

I'll have to get pill pockets for future uses - she loves her treats so maybe she'll eat them that way. I had to coax her back in the house this morning after she made a run for it. I grabbed the treat jar and shook it and she came running. She does love a good treat or 2. The little hussy!
    Its amazing what a treat will do..lol
    PGM35 likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

My babies will be 8 years old tomorrow. Does that make them senior cats? They're in great shape, and still playing King of the Catnip Mound. I've been telling (orange) TJ he won't be a kitten any more, he'll be an old man. I'm the old cat lady. (Calico) Dora will be the old lady cat. What do you give kitties for Over The Hill presents? LOL I know they're always up for more food.
    Stargazer161 likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Actually I think senior cats are 10 years or older. Yours aren't over the hill yet! Maybe middle-aged is more appropriate.

If they're going through a mid-life crisis, they might be attracted to shiny new things right now!
    beerbelly likes this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

I googled senior kitties. Some start it at 7 years old, which is silly. Mine should last well into their 20s so I won't consider them senior for a long time.

Googling some more, they're considered late 40s. That was my prime! At least I'm still older than they are, LOL.
    Last edited by Brooks; 03-14-2018 at 09:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread