+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4221Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I forgot to list chickadees! How could I forget them? They're my favorites!
    Cornholio likes this.
    Lynda

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Chickadees are one of my favorite birds, too! I used to see black-capped chickadees and red-wing blackbirds all the time when we lived in Iowa. It's been a while now since I've seen either.

Living in Naples was cool because we had lots of exotic water birds around--pelicans, sea gulls, herons, egrets, etc. I always liked seeing kingfishers on the power lines along the road. They made me smile!
    Punkin and Cornholio like this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Yes, the birds are amazing in Naples! Don't forget the osprey and the chokoloskee chickens aka ibis. Since you left Naples, all the development has sadly taken over a lot of their habitat and now it's common to see woodstorks in populated areas and on the side of the road. You used to have to go to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary to see them but now they're everywhere!

Can anyone recommend a good clumping litter? I've tried a few and, for one reason or another, they've not been right. One was too expensive, the next was SUPER smelly and made the whole house smell like really bad laundry soap (or those horrid Downey Unstoppables things) and the one I've got now just doesn't clump that well.

I need something that isn't going to stick to my long-haired cat's fur (the smelly one turned into concrete on her paws after she stepped in water and then used the box) and that doesn't stink to high heaven....oh, and that isn't too expensive and that clumps well. The stinky stuff was Tidy Cat, which I've always used in the past. The non-clumping TC definitely isn't that perfumed. The stuff I'm using now smells fine and wasn't super expensive, but it isn't clumping as well as I'd like. It's the Whole Foods brand, Whole Paws.

I did end up just buying a "litter genie" that seems to work just fine for storing the stuff I've scooped. Keeps everything sealed up and non-smelly, which is great.

The cats are, on the whole, happier with the litter, although Suki isn't thrilled about the stuff that stuck to her paws. I'm still working on getting it off of her. What a mess! I actually had to cut some off of her paw - the fur between her pads looked like a cone of concrete. Poor thing. At least she's using the box and not my bed!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I use the Scoop Away Multi Cat. I also sprinkle a tiny bit of that Arm & Hammer litter deodorizer in after I scoop it out...that combo seems to work for my cat. And my nose. It doesn't stick to his paws, but he's a short-hair tabby.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Here's His Highness relaxing on my his flokati (I'll never buy another, those rugs are a pain in the butt):

20160612_195727.jpg
    Punkin, dagwood, pikachu and 4 others like this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good clumping litter? I've tried a few and, for one reason or another, they've not been right. One was too expensive, the next was SUPER smelly and made the whole house smell like really bad laundry soap (or those horrid Downey Unstoppables things) and the one I've got now just doesn't clump that well.

I need something that isn't going to stick to my long-haired cat's fur (the smelly one turned into concrete on her paws after she stepped in water and then used the box) and that doesn't stink to high heaven....oh, and that isn't too expensive and that clumps well. The stinky stuff was Tidy Cat, which I've always used in the past. The non-clumping TC definitely isn't that perfumed. The stuff I'm using now smells fine and wasn't super expensive, but it isn't clumping as well as I'd like. It's the Whole Foods brand, Whole Paws.

I did end up just buying a "litter genie" that seems to work just fine for storing the stuff I've scooped. Keeps everything sealed up and non-smelly, which is great.

The cats are, on the whole, happier with the litter, although Suki isn't thrilled about the stuff that stuck to her paws. I'm still working on getting it off of her. What a mess! I actually had to cut some off of her paw - the fur between her pads looked like a cone of concrete. Poor thing. At least she's using the box and not my bed!
    The absolute best litter is Arm and Hammer Slide. A lot of my pet sitting clients use it and when I saw how well it works I decided to try it. It's not the cheapest but is well worth the extra money. No odor, doesn't stick to surfaces (including the bottom of the litter box and the cats paws) is relatively dust free and the cats all seem to like it. And it's very easy to scoop.
    I am one step away from being rich. All I need now is money

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    The absolute best litter is Arm and Hammer Slide. A lot of my pet sitting clients use it and when I saw how well it works I decided to try it. It's not the cheapest but is well worth the extra money. No odor, doesn't stick to surfaces (including the bottom of the litter box and the cats paws) is relatively dust free and the cats all seem to like it. And it's very easy to scoop.
    I've never tried the Slide, but I use the Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal, multi-cat, and I love it. Not the lightweight one though, because that got everywhere. It really does seal in the stink!! And I hate those fake scented products too, and I imagine the cats do as well.

It sounds like A&H products are worth a try. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    I hate those fake scented products too, and I imagine the cats do as well.
    They're probably toxic to cats.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Both me and my cats are sensitive to scents. Most scented litters give me a headache so I'll use pine litter with a natural odor but not artificially scented litters. I can handle the carbon litters, too, and they're good at minimizing odor.

I also stay away from scented hand soap, laundry detergent, softener, deodorant, etc. In Florida you almost have to because the mosquitos prefer people who wear scented products! I remember talking to a girl at school in the parking lot between classes and the mosquitos were all over her but weren't bothering me at all. The difference was she from Arizona and was wearing perfume, scented hair spray, scented body lotion, etc. Being a Florida native, I was wearing no perfume and all unscented products. It makes a difference! Keep that in mind if you're vacationing in a tropical, mosquito-prone area.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

+ Reply to Thread