+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Somebody should stab him in the head a couple of times.
    It was a HER, the wife. The husband is the one who called for assistance. But I almost agree with you.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Premium Member
    Whatever. Whoever did that needs a swift kick in the ass.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Along similar lines of abandoned animals...I just got back from a vet appointment for a lovely black labrador mix that seems to have adopted my fiance's home as his own. He first showed up last Tuesday and we were prepared to take him to my house Friday (which is more secure), but discovered he got out of my fiance's yard somehow and had left. Anyway, he shows up again yesterday out of the blue.

This pup is so sweet and gentle but unfortunately very very timid...can't say that I blame him if he's been out on the streets, but it took a while for his tail to even wag. He is also very very skinny, has worms and sleeps constantly/lethargic. He doesn't seem to have any training...doesn't know sit, laydown, pulls on the leash and looked at the TV as if it were from Mars so I got the feeling he hasn't been an "inside" pet. Lord knows how long he's been out wandering the streets, but since it's been 8 days since we first discovered him, I bit the bullet for the vet fee and took him today for a check up given the worm situation.

Anyway, he's overall in good health, minus the above items. I also discovered he is neutered (don't ask me how I missed this ) so this means he DID belong to someone at some point. There are no signs in the neighborhood, but the vet says there's no telling how far he may have wandered. I reported him as "found" to the SPCA (which uses 2 weeks as a guideline before placing lost pets for adoption) and our local city ordinances/regulations state that after 72 hours has elapsed and a rightful owner has not come forward, a dog can be deemed "adoptable".

I guess I'm concerned that if we try and keep him, some young child may be very sad right now. But then, I am also trying to tell myself just as the vet told me, if someone really cared for the pet in the first place, he would have had a collar and ID AND filed reports with every agency looking for their pet, posted signs etc. My dog I used to have would dig out of the yard at every thunderstorm and I was grateful that my neighbors always brought her back to me or took care of her until I located her.

So I'm wondering, what would anyone else do? He deserves a good home and we're willing to provide one for him, but I would hate to keep him from his real home if someone is looking for him. I just don't know what else to do.

Anyone have any advice? Would you keep him for your own if you've harbored a lost animal for a while?
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Igotalife, I'd run an ad in the newspaper (usually free for lost/found) and then you'll know you did as much as you could to find his owners.

if someone calls to claim him, maybe say in lieu of a reward, you can refund my vet fee of $$. But it's up to you if you want the vet money back, I know that's not your concern, you just want to make sure some little kid isn't crying for his or her dog. I guess I'd measure how grateful the person sounds to know someone found their pet and why it got lost to begin with. Like your vet said, he may have travelled a long distance and doesn't belong to anyone in your area. His collar may have fallen off, or taken off if he was stolen. I admit that my dog doesn't wear his collar because we are almost always (I can't say 100%) in control of our dog and he's an inside dog with a fenced yard and his collar jingling with the tags on drives me crazy. But if he was an outside dog then I'd definitely make sure he had his collar on at all times.

The dog could have gotten lost at a rest stop, been stolen, or any number of explanations. Hopefully it's a good one. At any rate, I hope he finds a good, loving home to help him overcome his fears. Sometimes our pets find us instead of the other way around

Igotalostdoggie How wonderful for you to take in this lost little dog. I'm sure if you do all you can to let someone know he has been found, and no-one responds, then it's your right to take him in and give him lots of loves and cuddles and security. You're doing the right thing.

I'd keep the canine personally. If some poor kid is crying his eyes out somewhere - he shoulda kept a better eye on his dog.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    This story sounds a lot like my Pumpkin. If you took him to the vet they must have scanned him for a microchip. I would keep him without hesitation and without guilt that somebody else is missing their dog. It was the same story with my new cat... nobody was looking for him. I figured if the owners really cared and wanted him they would have been looking for him. If you make every reasonable effort to locate the owners and come up empty then you should be able to keep him if that's what you want to do.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Igotalife, I'd run an ad in the newspaper (usually free for lost/found) and then you'll know you did as much as you could to find his owners.
    I agree with that, Igotawickedbigheart, but only if you run the ad in a Boston newspaper, since you're out in Texas!!! That way, you see, there's no way in tar nation that the old owners will see it.

Ordinarily I'd be very encouraging about reuinting a lost animal with its original owner (and I've gone to great lengths, in various states, to help pets get reunited) but when it's so obvious that the animal was in bad shape, then I encourage the pet finder (like Igotawickedluckynewdog and Marleybone) to keep the pet 'cause the animal will do much, much better with you!!!

I'll PM you later with specific info, but for now all I have time to tell you is, "THANK YOU" for taking such great care of the dog and know that The Pomeranians and I are out here in Boston doing this:

In my world some good news is that my new teeth-cleaning solution arrived yesterday after making its circuitous trip from Canada to Boston.

I've seen it do wonderful things on the teeth of my friends' animals, and I'll let you guys know how it works on my two dogs.

Information on it can be found at: http:www.lebalab.com

In other news, I plan to bring home a set of doggy stairs tomorrow, and then the dogs will be able to come and go on their "Dog Throne" at my living room window.

Premium Member

dog food grading scale

Has anyone seen this? My husband got this in an e-mail, the sender didn't know where it came from so we Googled it and have not been able to find a source for it. I was shocked to find that Science Diet scores an F. I tried this with my Dolly's regular Senior Science Diet and it scored a 67.

Dog food grading scale

Giving Dry Dog Food a Grade:
    Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewerís rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isnít allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isnít allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A
    86-93 = B
    78-85 = C
    70-77 = D
    <70 = F
    Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 - D

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 - F

Canidae / Score 112 - A+

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 - A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 - A+

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 - F

Purina Benful / Score 17 - F
    Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 - F
    ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 - A+

Science DietAdvanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 - F

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 - A
    Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 - B

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 - F
    Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 - B
    Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 - A

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 - A+

Marleybone: That's really interesting information! If the cat food is just as good as the dog food then the Royal Canine that I give my kitties should be around the same score of A+!! Yipppee! I've heard several vets says it one of the very best for cats. I googled and could't find a scale for cats either though.

+ Reply to Thread