+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4274Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Dogs are so smart Star. My oldest, Simon knows when I'm down, it's his job, our so he thinks, to stay by my side and make things right.I suspect Lucy feels the same..unconditional love, the best kind..x
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

They are SO cute!!! I'm very glad you have them to help soothe your heartbreak. Dogs are so sweet and loving!
    Stargazer161 likes this.

I hope I'm allowed to post this. I stumbled upon it - I know nothing about the site itself or the owner of the video - but it did cure my winter blues... at least today's.

https://hellogiggles.com/lifestyle/p...ledding-video/
    Punkin, Photobabe and Stargazer161 like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

Yes...this video has been prominent on my facebook news for a few days now. How cleaver.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm so happy your fur babies are giving you the comfort and loving you need right now, Star! (((Big Hugs)))

Love the sledding dog!
    Lynda

Cute video!
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    “Where there is love there is life.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

If anyone has a cat who's a nervous traveler, I may have a product for you! My Oliver has the smelly and annoying tendency to spray on himself in his carrier when we travel home (mostly) from my parents' house after the holidays. The first time he did it, we were GOING there, which is why I said "mostly." No matter what I would do to make things easy and calm, he'd spray on himself within 5 minutes of being in the car. I'm talking, we're not even to the freeway yet and there's that smell. He NEVER sprays any other time, so obviously, this is anxiety.

I read about this product and decided to try it: https://www.amazon.com/Ceva-Feliway-...6051121&sr=8-2

There is another product that is similar, but apparently, this is the brand that vets use, so I opted to try that instead. It mimics the pheromones that cats release when they're content and happy.

The night before we left for the holidays, I sprayed in his carrier - maybe 10 pumps - and let it sit. The carriers were outside the bathroom and as he was walking past it, he rubbed his head on his carrier. The next morning, about 30 minutes before we left, I sprayed again. He was totally chill the whole trip. I should say that he, outwardly at least, never looks like he's stressed. The real test was the trip home yesterday, since that's the trip that he usually chooses to spray. Although he didn't go into the carrier easily, he was totally fine for the whole trip. Just mellow and happy. Purred, chirped and wanted me to pet him.

If anyone else has a cat who isn't the best traveler, this might be the product to try! I think the company has other products that are supposed to help with spraying or peeing at home too. Luckily (aside from the very pointed peeing on my bed when the litter box isn't up to snuff), my cats don't pee or spray in the house.

Oliver also has feline hyperesthesia, so I use Jackson Galaxy's Skin Soother on him and that's been working very nicely. I don't claim that it will work for anyone, but it works for us.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, great you've found an answer to your cat's hyperesthesia. That can be so hard on them, as well as their furparents.

Feliway can help some cats in some situations, but for some cats it's a really bad idea no matter what is going on. My girl cat hates it. I find tailored flower essences (not essential oils, they're toxic to cats) work better in my household.

Oh, for sure results vary. I'm always going to try the easiest/least impactful option first. If the JG stuff hadn't worked, we likely would have had to move to steroids or something like that and I was REALLY wary about going that route. Ollie's FH isn't super severe - it usually ranges from just the skin roiling and swatting at his tail a lot, to actually biting his tail and hurting himself. It's nothing like I know some cats have and I'm hoping his doesn't get more severe as he gets older.

So I have a question for those of you who use scoopable litter. Since Suki has gotten fussier about her litterbox being clean, I thought I'd give clumping litter a try again. It didn't work so well the last time and I had cat litter hockey pucks all over the carpet. I'm willing to try again though if it keeps her from using my bed in protest. Here's my question: when you scoop the box, what do you dispose of the litter in? I live in a state where there's a plastic grocery bag ban, so I don't exactly have a mountain of those around and I hate the idea of buying plastic bags to put waste in. Plus, I just hate the idea of creating that much plastic waste. How many times do you scoop the box? If it's multiple times a day, I don't know if my conscience can handle putting out that much plastic waste into the world. I'd rather use clay litter, but I can't flush that. I'm at a loss.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have two cats, and a dedicated trash receptacle that takes 13 gallon bags, in the same room as the litter boxes. All litter goes in that. My trash goes to a commercial incinerator. I have zero environmental concern that it's going in plastic bags (and I'm an environmentalist by profession). I would not be flushing any litter down my pipes no matter what kind of litter it was. Very hard on the sewage treatment plant, assuming it clears the pipes (mine might get plugged up).

+ Reply to Thread