+ Reply to Thread
Page 1868 of 1868 FirstFirst ... 86813681768181818581859186018611862186318641865186618671868
Results 18,671 to 18,679 of 18679
Like Tree3726Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

My two babies (in my avatar) are 7 years old today! Office is closed because of Blizzard Stella, so I'm here to cater to their every whim. Well sort of.

They're probably bummed out seeing the snow. The past few weeks have been too cold to go outside for walks, and they don't care at all for trudging through snow. They do think it would be terrific if I would open a window so they could sit on the ledge for a while.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    AZ, guess which giraffe has held off having her baby because she knew you were away? lol This is the longest pregnancy in history lol
    We've had limited internet access because of being on a ship . . . but I've been watching her every day nevertheless. Hubby was in the shower when I woke up and logged in. His first words when he finished were, "No baby?" I said, "Not yet. How did you know I checked already?" His response, "Well, the light is on so I knew you were awake, and that's what you do the first thing every morning."

They're keeping a close eye on her. Signs are appearing that she's almost ready, and they're in the middle of that big storm.
    Cornholio likes this.
    I'm Paula.

I was watching the sun rise this morning and a bobcat strolled out from the left of my house, across my back yard, and into the woods! I saw them occasionally when I lived further out of town, but this was the first one where I live now.
    Brooks, Cootie, Cornholio and 1 others like this.
    Count your blessings!

We had an aged cat who started occasionally doing his business on the bed. We didn't punish him because he was old and not quite as sharp and spry as he once was. We bought a water resistent fabric table cloth that coordinated with the bedroom well enough to cover the bed. It did the trick and wasn't uncomfortable for either us or the cats.
    Brooks, Cootie, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
    And so it begins, the end of times..

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

After work, I took both of my kitties for a "walk". It was more like a sit-down demonstration. I had hoped Squirt would show Pip how walking on a leash was done but I guess I forgot that he's never walked on a leash before, either. She at least got a D on her first walking excursions for trying to go somewhere some of the time. He failed miserably. He refused to walk and, even worse, he was giving me this accusatory stare like "What did I do to deserve this???". We stayed out all of three minutes before I gave up and took them home. Squirt decided he could walk when he saw we were heading home but then Pip blew a tire and had to be carried. Kitties aren't the best exercise companions.
    Punkin, Brooks, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

I may have solved a little bit of a mystery about my old lady's behavior. I still think her using the bed as a litter box was a pointed commentary on the state of the litter box. I've been scooping and changing the litter more regularly than I ever did and that seems to make her happy. I guess she's gotten pickier in her dotage.

BUT......A few days after the bed incident, she left one poo right by the front door, which felt territorial and I was totally puzzled. The next day, I was out talking to my neighbor and she was showing me several BIG animal tracks in the mud around our houses. A few weeks ago we had HUGE rain storms in this region and lots of flooding by the river, which is a mile or so from my house. We've got coyotes and cougars and all sorts of beasties living along the river and they were probably pushed out into our neighborhood. My neighbor actually saw a cougar in our neighborhood a few weeks ago. The paw prints around the house were feline AND canine and MUCH bigger than her dog or anyone else's around here. The cat prints were far bigger than any domestic cat.

SO, my cat acting out and crying/howling could be a reaction to smelling and hearing predators and trying to exert her territoriality. The room she's been howling in is the one with the window I can never quite get closed all the way, so she might smell them more in there. My neighbor said her dog wouldn't do his business in the same places he always has AND he's been peeing against her house and mine. I'm good with that if it keeps big cats or coyotes away from my house! My cats are indoor-only, so they aren't in any danger, but I still prefer to NOT have coyotes and cougars wandering outside my house!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I may have solved a little bit of a mystery about my old lady's behavior. I still think her using the bed as a litter box was a pointed commentary on the state of the litter box. I've been scooping and changing the litter more regularly than I ever did and that seems to make her happy. I guess she's gotten pickier in her dotage.
    It's absolutely unnatural for cats to pee/poop in the same place all the time. In the wild it would get them eaten. So we're actually asking a lot from them to use litter boxes.

My parents in their last years weren't very diligent about their cat's litterbox. One day I noticed a long line of dried poops in the basement. Poor guy!

BUT......A few days after the bed incident, she left one poo right by the front door, which felt territorial and I was totally puzzled.
    Yup, and no reason there can't be multiple things going on. Cats peeing next to deck doors or windows where other cats have been roaming outside is a fairly typical My Cat From Hell scenario. My own TJ smelled something that terrified him and decided The Thing (that he had never seen but imagined must be huge) could come inside and eat his human (always a reference to my ailing husband, never healthy me, LOL), so he peed in a circle around hubby's favorite chair. It took an animal communicator to straighten that out. TJ was able to evoke the smell, and the communicator had enough familiarity with wild animals from a wildlife rehab center that she easily recognized the strong reek of fox. Then she was able to explain to TJ about foxes and how they're afraid of humans and not all that big and that their smell carries a long ways so it may never have been close to the house. TJ immediately settled down and stopped his peeing. (It's one of the reasons I'm such a strong proponent of communicators - absolutely nothing else would have changed TJ's behavior and hubby was so upset he needed an immediate answer as to what was going on.) Jackson Galaxy has had some ideas along the way about how either to keep animals from approaching so close to the house (like motion sensor sprinklers or making the area less attractive) or changing the view from inside.

Tank keeping me in one place while I recover last week from the flu!

IMG_7886 (2).jpg
    Most Likely To Love Her Selfie, While Coloring, Pistol Packin', & Loving Her Boxer Babies

With the look on Tanks' face...I wouldn't move either. Hope you are feeling better.
    It brings back memories of "The Look" from Just1Paul's, Mona.

+ Reply to Thread