+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Well, let's see:

1. From the gist of your tale, the cat doesn't seem to have any identification. I feel a responsible pet owner would identify their pet somehow, no?

2. If the neighbors are the owners, they haven't sought their cat--no lost pet flyers, no door-to-door search. I know that if one of my dogs was lost, I'd be out night and day, going door to door, and putting up flyers everywhere in the vicinity.

3. Those who can identify this cat don't exactly give his owners a ringing endorsement.

I hate to say it, but it doesn't sound like the owners particularly care about or care for this animal.

He sounds like a good cat. I'm sure your family would make better owners. I'm not an attorney, but if his owners don't care enough to look for him, I don't think it's your responsibility to.

And, personally, I'd feel better if you were its owner.

Good luck. Just my two cents.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    1. From the gist of your tale, the cat doesn't seem to have any identification. I feel a responsible pet owner would identify their pet somehow, no?
    I forgot to mention that he has no collar or tags. I don't think it's required for house cats to have a license here, but I agree that you need to be able to identify your animals. Katie has a microchip besides her regular license and rabies tags.

Take the cat. If the despicable neighbors ever do ask your family can say oh that's too bad- never saw the cat.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Since the neighbors live close by but the cat has been hanging around in a different house, this shows that the cat could go home if he wants to but he clearly doesn't want to. If there was food available to the cat from his owners, he would have been going home to get it. Either they aren't feeding him or he no longer feels comfortable in the home. Maybe there have been some changes in the home and he hasn't been high on the priority list. I think he is looking for new owners and if you can provide him a new home, you would be his best bet for survival. Pumpkin needs you!

Take in Mr. Pumpkin! He needs a secure loving home with owners who care 24/7. He will love you forever if you do!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Premium Member
    We just got back from taking my husband over to see Pumpkin. My DIL said she went over to the house and there were newspapers all over the porch and no sign of anybody being home. She remembers that she hasn't seen any cars there for at least the last 4-5 days so she thinks they are gone and left the cat to fend for himself.

The Humane Society lady who called her turns out to also be their next door neighbor, that's how she knew the cat and where the owners lived. She told my DIL that the had the cat at the HS and almost didn't give him back to the owners, and had told them that if he ended up back at the HS they would not give him back again. So I'm thinking why should they expect us to give him back to these people? She also told my DIL that if the owners didn't want him this time that she had to turn him over to the Humane Society, which I think is bull. If we can find a home for him then he shouldn't have to go there. My husband is thinking it over, he is a little apprehensive since we really don't know much about the cat, but I think he might give in. I'm not pressuring him, it's a big decision and he needs to be ok with it too. I have never in my life seen a cat who is that friendly... you just say "here kitty" and he comes right over to you. I took some pictures so I'm going to try and post them in a little bit.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    Take the cat. If the despicable neighbors ever do ask your family can say oh that's too bad- never saw the cat.

"Pumpkin WHO???"

In my opinion they should definitely keep the kitty (as an indoor cat). I'd recommend that they change his name to something like "Bumpkin" if the cat responds to that old name (since it rhymes with "Pumpkin") or to something altogether different if he doesn't know the old name.

That way if anyone ever asks, "Do you have 'Pumpkin'?" they can honestly answer "NO."

Last edited by Pomeraniac; 03-01-2006 at 12:14 AM.

Yes Pommy YES!!!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Premium Member

Pumpkin

Here he is! I'm happy to say that my husband has agreed that we should take him so within the next day or so he'll be home.

YES!! Good for you Marleybone!!!! and bless the hubby too!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

+ Reply to Thread