+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1421Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    rosiedog - your Jack's look and sound adorable. One reason I never got one was because of the reputation they have for high energy. I'm pretty low key, don't do walks (we have a yard). We had two min schnauzers (still have one), which also can be high energy, and luckily they were both low key. And same as your situation, one was the mom, the other the son. The mom recently passed away from cancer and her son is a bit depressed but we have a cat now too so he's not totally alone. But it's not a good fit for him companion wise, I can tell he only tolerates the cat but really has no interest in him as a playmate.

But just like your dogs, when I was giving her medicine, I always had to give the male food too so he wouldn't feel left out. She was pretty good about taking her medicine though until near the end. She got to where she wouldn't eat much and if there was a pill in it (especially since her pills had a tendency to be bitter) she wouldn't eat it at all.

What might work for your female's rolaid is to buy a pill crusher and crush it up into a fine powder and then mix it with food. I tried this recently when I had to give the cat a pill, but he wasn't having none of my ingenuity - he knew something was there. The vet suggested, and this may work for your dog, to let the pill liquify in about 1 ml of water in one of those liquid medicine injectors and squirt the pill / water combo into his mouth. I'm going to try that when he gets his second pill on the 18th.

By the way, do Jack Russells shed? I swore I wouldn't get another dog after the one just passed because it is so heartbreaking to go through but eventually I know her son will need another companion. I've thought about a Dachshund but hear they have lots of back problems. I don't want a big dog or one too tiny and I have minor allergies so a lot of shedding would be a problem for me. Also, are they hard to housebreak?
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's so hard to lose a pet.

Our Jacks are not nearly the high energy of the others we know. Maybe because we are a low key household. We don't take them on walks, but they do have our backyard to run in and the male plays ball constantly and will play by himself if no one will through it. He bats it between his front paws like a soccer player dribbling or whatever it is they do and runs while he bats it back and forth.

Shed? OMG! I could have made 16 more dogs with all the damn hair I have vacuumed, swept and lint rollered in the past 8 years! All of us have learned NOT to wear black anymore or you leave the house looking like you rolled in white dog hair. That is the ONLY thing I really hate about them.
    But we had a schnauzer/standard poodle mix before and she had to be groomed and that got old and expensive after a while, so we said the next dog will not have to be groomed. Oh boy, if we had only known!

We got Rosie when my daughter was 5 as the schnauzer mix was 10 and wouldn't play with our daughter, so we thought that the Jack and a 5 year old would be good together and they were. They really had a good time and Rosie was dressed in finery and jewels and pushed in baby carriages and they romped and played in the backyard. I do have to say having 2 jacks is better than one because they play really well together and that gets some of the energy out and we don't have to take them on walks or help expend the energy. We have an open floor plan and they play grabass chase all though the house a couple times a day and they run and snort and play growl around and around and then hide behind furniture waiting for the other to come by and them jump out and start chasing. It really is fun to watch. They have been a joy to have.

I think I will try the pill crusher. We were told to also give them kaopectake and the vet gave us a huge syringe. The first time I did it, I wound up with pink dog and she was spitting it back out as fast as I was putting it in and it went everywhere.

Bogie will eat ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING even raw asparagus, but he's not too fond of mushrooms or grapes, but anything else is fair game, even lettuce. We think he starved in a previous life. You can just hand him a pill and he eats it. Rosie is like an old maid aunt that turned her nose up at everything.

Oh, our female was housebroken within 2 weeks. The male a little longer. They are incredibly smart dogs and learn things very quickly. I think that's why you see so many of them on tv and in the movies. They are very quick learners.
    Our male has a pee problem. He has an excitable bladder according to the vet. Rosies bladder is the size of the good year blimp, but she peed in the house for the first time in years the other day and I know it was in spite for something I had done.

Other than the shedding, they have been great, fun, loveable dogs. I've spent the good part of the last 2 years with major health problems and Bogie has been by my side through all of it. He will lay in bed with me, right up against me as long as I lay in bed. He's very loyal and is never far from my side. He is laying next to me on the floor as I type this. He follows me from room to room. Rosie? She is her cat like self, on a cushion in the sun, curled up sleeping in another room. Aloof.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks for the advice! Maybe a wirehaired Jack won't shed as much? I'm still thinking, not ready yet for another pet because I really don't have the time right now to housebreak, but am considering another dog in the next few months. And yes, I hate the grooming that comes with having a schnauzer - that's my other criteria for my next dog - no coats that need a haircut!

My female schnauzer was my shadow. Where I went she went. The male is more my husband's dog - he worships the ground my husband walks on. I thought he would fall apart when my husband was gone for a year in Iraq but he did pretty good. Maybe it was because I kept telling him that daddy would be home or maybe dog's have no concept of time. He may have thought one year (with a visit midway) was more like a few days.

I'll keep researching - and I also feel that when the right pet comes along I'll know it. I'll take one look and say "that's the one!"

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Maybe a wirehaired Jack won't shed as much? I'm still thinking, not ready yet for another pet because I really don't have the time right now to housebreak, but am considering another dog in the next few months. And yes, I hate the grooming that comes with having a schnauzer - that's my other criteria for my next dog - no coats that need a haircut!

My female schnauzer was my shadow. Where I went she went. The male is more my husband's dog - he worships the ground my husband walks on. I thought he would fall apart when my husband was gone for a year in Iraq but he did pretty good. Maybe it was because I kept telling him that daddy would be home or maybe dog's have no concept of time. He may have thought one year (with a visit midway) was more like a few days.

I'll keep researching - and I also feel that when the right pet comes along I'll know it. I'll take one look and say "that's the one!"
    We bred our smooth hair with a wire hair and the result is a part smooth, part wire haired Bogie. He doesn't shed AS MUCH as she does, but he does shed. She threw 6 puppies (she's little too). One died from a birth defect and of the 5, 2 were smooth coats, 2 were wire coats and ours was mixed.
    His flanks, head and legs are smooth, but he has a huge ridge of long wire hair down his back. It's like a mohawk, especially after a bath. His coat is not as dense as hers is either which is why he doesn't shed as much.
    The wire hairs are so cute too.
    Well they are all cute. I have a special place now in my heart for Jack Russells. They are just soooooooo cute.

You are exactly right, you will find the right dog. Or should I say, the right dog will find you when its time.

Ours cannot stand for anyone to be gone. They are constantly running to the back of the couch to look out the window when one of us is gone. I am going to be out of town for 3 weeks in March and I don't know how my husband and daughter will cope with the dogs for that long as they get really funny when someone is gone.

Just a suggestion, ArchieComicFan but have you ever thought about getting a Schnoodle? They are a cross between a schnauzer and a poodle. And I believe they're not supposed to shed very much. Not too rambunctious, cute, cuddly, and come in different colors. I wanted to get one for my Dad but he doesn't want the heartache of another pet dying. There's also a Doodle; cross between a dacshund and a poodle! Look into those too!

Drat! my photo isn't coming out. Try this.. http://www.gotpetsonline.com/picture...oodle-0010.jpg
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thanks misskitty - I'll check into those. It's amazing the different crossbreeds they can come up with and such funny names sometimes too! That puppy on the link you provided is adorable! But I agree with your dad too, the heartbreak is too much to bear. I would be getting another one so that my other dog can have some canine companionship for when we're not home. No matter how much they love us, they still need their own kind to socialize with too. I just hope I don't put it off too long, he's already 8.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 02-16-2006 at 11:22 PM.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Just a suggestion, ArchieComicFan but have you ever thought about getting a Schnoodle? They are a cross between a schnauzer and a poodle. And I believe they're not supposed to shed very much. Not too rambunctious, cute, cuddly, and come in different colors. I wanted to get one for my Dad but he doesn't want the heartache of another pet dying. There's also a Doodle; cross between a dacshund and a poodle! Look into those too!

Drat! my photo isn't coming out. Try this.. http://www.gotpetsonline.com/picture...oodle-0010.jpg

We had a schnoodle, she didn't shed, but had to be groomed.

OR, just go with a mutt, which is the less fancy name for all these 'doodles' - there are thousands of 'doodles, puggles' and various other designer doggies at your local shelter waiting for love.

As they say - a dog by any other name is just more expensive!

But good luck in your pet search, I know how hard it can be! I'm living with the two foster kitties, and really can't wait for one to get adopted while I might have fallen for the other. But the one is just too big, too dominant, and too drooly more than one time I have awoken to her drooling on my face as she watches me sleep.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    Apparently there's a big problem with them, in which the makers of the chew toys are saying, "the benefits (less dental visits) outway the unfortunate deaths that have occurred". That's what he said last night on the interview.

Mav - I'll take bad doggy breath over NO doggy breath any day.

I wonder how these can stay on the market?

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marybethp View Post
    Mav - I'll take bad doggy breath over NO doggy breath any day.
    I totally agree! Hmm..possible choke to death...ORrrrrr... bad breath and POSSIBLE teeth problems? Gee.
    There are other chew toys that take care of the teeth and digest better..so, I wouldn't have a problem NOT using them.

I wonder how these can stay on the market?
    $$$$$$$$$$$
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    We have 2 jack russell terriers. The calmest ones anyone's ever seen.
    How cute they are! You and Mariner seemed to have lucked out in the temperament department. I wanted to trade my Jack Russell for her Libby, but for some reason she's not interested. Mine is hyper, stubborn, and still won't be housetrained. After losing my cleaning deposit on my last apartment I had to put him in a diaper. He's 8.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread