+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I wish she would sit still for anything other than this brush. She's REALLY squirmy when she wants away. Trying to comb her or really get "in there" and examine the mats is not going to happen. The good news is that we're making progress with the brush. One of the mats came off on the brush last night. She seems to hate the brush a bit less than before, so that's good too.

While the lion cut was HI-larious last Summer, I don't want to put her through that again. I had it done earlier in the Summer last year, so she had more time to grow back fur before the weather turned cold. Plus, she's getting older and anything like that can be stressful, even though she's the most happy-go-lucky cat I've ever met. She did beautifully at the groomer - they were all in love with her by the time I picked her up.

For a brief moment I was thinking of buying one of those "dematting" brushes that removes fur from their undercoat....until I saw the prices! Holy cow! They're like $50 MY brushes don't cost that much!

Gut - my other cat LOVES being brushed with my boar bristle hair brush. Because, of course the cat with fur that's no more than 1" long is the one who loves being brushed
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical I have a long haired cat that gets matted on his belly, flanks and tail. I use a Safari Shed Magic De-Shedding Tool for cats. I only paid $15.99 for it. His coat is fine and I only use it on mats that I can't remove with a wide tooth comb. It works good but can pull so I have to be easy when I use it.
    He loves to eat, so I brush a little at mealtime. He gets so involved with his meal he doesn't seem to mind

We got our puppy! We have named him Nox.

Nox.jpg

I am a bit sleep deprived. I had forgotten what a challenge crate training is. The good news is that he is doing pretty well considering he is just 8 weeks old today! He is so tiny that even the smallest harness at the pet store is big on him!

He is adorable and it is so fun to have a puppy in the house again. It has been cool in the mornings when I take him out to potty, and he has been trying to climb up on top of my feet to get off the cold, damp grass. He's very small, but he's not THAT tiny!

Someone reminded me the other day that "nox" is the spell they used in the Harry Potter books to put out the light on their wands. If we eventually have another dog at the same time as this one I think we will have to name it Lumos!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 08-13-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    CantGetNuf, Kip, Brooks and 6 others like this.

Oh. My. God. Is he adorable!!!! How can you stand it? I'd be huggin' and kissin' on that cutie non-stop.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    Count your blessings!

OMG that puppy is adorable!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't get any cuter than that!

to FoRT furbaby Nox!

Oh ClosetRWatcher, He is precious! I love the way puppies feet smell (when they are clean).
    Nox is the perfect name for him. You chose well.

Hi everybody! Hope you're all doing well. I just had to pop in for a proud mommy moment. My Kaylee was chosen as the rescues Success Story of the Month!

I don't know how to link to it but if anybody is interested if you google Border Collie rescue of Northern Calif. and scroll down a tiny bit, she's there!
    She's also on their Facebook page.

I'm a proud mommy.

ClosetRT watcher, adorable puppy!
    I've decided I'm done with the puppy thing. I've done it and loved it but I'll only rescue from now on.

I have to say I've never understood crate training. I've had dogs forever and have never used one.
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 08-14-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    Kip, Brooks, Cootie and 1 others like this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    Hi everybody! Hope you're all doing well. I just had to pop in for a proud mommy moment. My Kaylee was chosen as the rescues Success Story of the Month!

I don't know how to link to it but if anybody is interested if you google Border Collie rescue of Northern Calif. and scroll down a tiny bit, she's there!
    She's also on their Facebook page.

I'm a proud mommy.

ClosetRT watcher, adorable puppy!
    I've decided I'm done with the puppy thing. I've done it and loved it but I'll only rescue from now on.

I have to say I've never understood crate training. I've had dogs forever and have never used one.
    Congrats to you and Kaylee, that is fantastic!! My parents have rescued three Aussies over the years and every one has been an outstanding family member.

Puppies are SO much work. Fortunately my 9 and 14 year olds have been very helpful. They were both strongly in favor of starting with a puppy, so it's only right that they pitch in!
    NorwIndian likes this.

I love puppies. Heaven to me would be wall to wall playful puppies. With my health and physical disabilities these days, I knew I couldn't do another puppy. My husband is on the road a lot and my kids are all moved out so it would have all fallen on me. No way could I do that now.
    Nox is so cute my voice is getting froggy!
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 08-15-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

I am hoping some of you will give me some advice. I am a petsitter. I have been petsitting for over 10 years. One of my clients has 3 cats. All were from the same feral litter. I have been caring for them for the last six or seven years. They (the pet parents) go away every other weekend during the summer, about one weekend a month during the winter and they take 2 week long vacations a year. They hire me for 2 visits a day when they are gone.

Here's the problem. A few months ago one of the cats began loosing weight. I suggested that a vet visit was in order. The owner said she planned to do that. Now, months later, the cat is still loosing and there has been no visit to the vet. Her response has been to give the cats more food. Trouble is, the other two cats are overweight, so they get fatter while the other continues to loose weight. I suspect either diabetes or kidney problems.

What would you do? I have printed out some info from the internet and will leave it for her, but I can't make her do anything!! I am tempted to tell her that I will not be doing any more visits until the cat has been checked by the vet. But that seems awfully harsh. I know money is not the reason for her refusal to get the cat to the vet. I charge $20 a visit so it's $40 a day every time they go away. She has told me it is impossible to get the cat into the carrier. I explained to her the easiest way to get a reluctant cat into a carrier and I have offered to come over and help her (no charge). I've grown fond of these cats over the years and hate to see two of them very obese while the other is skin and bones.

If anyone has a suggestion I would be happy to hear it!
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

+ Reply to Thread