+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1336Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Gutmutter I love your new avatar. You've got to keep that sweet yellow boy with Uncle Skip.
    Gutmutter likes this.

I'm dog sitting this week for my son and his girlfriend while they are on vacation, so now I have 3 dogs, 3 cats, and 2 kids in my house! This may be a LONG week.
    Maveno and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I'm dog sitting this week for my son and his girlfriend while they are on vacation, so now I have 3 dogs, 3 cats, and 2 kids in my house! This may be a LONG week.
    Yes it will. Think of all the funny stories you will get to tell...later...down the road...after you have recuperated.
    Lil Bit likes this.

We are picking up our new pup on Sunday. SO EXCITING!!!
    Lil Bit, Brooks and inthegarden like this.

My 4 year-old niece's favorite thing is getting in my lap and watching dogs on my laptop. This is her favorite video. We normally have to dance to this one though.

HAPPY DOGS in Australia - Pharrell Williams Happy - YouTube
    inthegarden likes this.

That video made me happy Thanks Debb70
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Yes it will. Think of all the funny stories you will get to tell...later...down the road...after you have recuperated.
    They went home today and apparently I haven't recuperated enough, because the stories I can think of just aren't that funny... Pulling Cooper out from behind the tv to stop him from chewing on wires... my granddaughter attaching the dogs leash to the night stand in their room, dog running away, lamp breaking... Prying Coopers mouth open and digging out various foreign objects... the cats spending the entire week jumping from table to counter to chair to avoid being on the floor with the dogs... wiping up puddles of water off the floor all day because Cooper, who is an English Bulldog, seems to store it (and everything else) in his jowls.

Oh well, we made it through and I now have blessed peace and quiet. The kitties are sleeping peacefully and I'm relaxing with a much needed glass of wine. I have decided that I'm not going to worry so much about having enough money to retire on. After all I do for my younger son taking care of his kids, and my older son taking care of his animals... they owe me! If I run out of money, I'll just move in with them. They can share me. 6 months at one, 6 months at the other.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

My cat has become a living example of "Any attention is good attention." She has very long, fine fur that, until recently, hardly ever got mats. If she did get them, they would either fall off or I could easily pull them off - her fur is like angora, especially on her tummy. Last summer, her fur started getting really matted on her flanks (which had never happened before) and, instead of putting her through a really long grooming or possibly cutting her if I tried to remove the mats myself, I had a groomer give her a lion cut. She was more comfortable for a hot summer and it was great comic relief. Still, she's older now and it's not something I'd want to put her through on a regular basis.

Well, cut to this summer when she's developed mats again, seemingly overnight. This is a cat who loves having her chin scratched, but gets very squirmy if you pet the rest of her, especially anywhere near her back-end. Anyway, instead of taking her in to have her de-matted, I bought a good brush. The mats aren't nearly as bad as they were last year, so I figured I could do it myself.

Every time she walks past me or comes to me for attention, I brush her, for as long as she'll stand it. It IS working. She keeps coming back, even though she HATES being brushed because she LOVES getting attention more. I can't help but laugh. She squirms as I brush her and pet her, but she purrs because of the attention and when she's over it, she fusses and walks away. Then five minutes later she's back. It's obvious she hates the brush. She just loves attention more. It's pretty hilarious.

These mats should be gone really soon!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always been advised to use a medium comb, and it works out nicely.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I alternate between a human brush with stiff plastic bristles with little balls on the end, the typical cat brush with stiff wire bristles, and a flea comb (I treat them, but just to be sure). They like the human brush best - especially with a little scrubbing action at the side of the neck/cheek.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread