+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1384Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Oh, how sad. Nature can be brutal.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    So the chickadees built a beautiful nest in my bird house, hatched three lovely babies who I loved listening to chirp when their parents brought food. Then on Wednesday we had the heaviest rainstorm I've ever seen. The water came down in sheets from the roof. The next morning I didn't hear any chirps. I tapped the birdhouse and nothing. When I opened the little hatch in the back I could see feathers. All three little birds were dead, presumed drowned. My little Ozzie and Harriett birdie sitcom turned into Game of Thrones.
    That is sad. If you want them back, could the nest be cleaned out? They might try again.
    The swallows under my porch eve are on their second set of eggs. The first group of 5 come back and sit on the gutter late in the afternoon. It is fun to see how quickly they grow.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 06-28-2014 at 03:03 PM.

This is the fur baby we will be adding to our family in August!!! We are SO excited. We have several weeks to wait, because he's only one week old. Now I just have to come up with a name for him...

Punkin, candor, Brooks and 1 others like this.

Obviously his name is Sweetie Bug!
    Brooks, Photobabe and debcat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Obviously his name is Sweetie Bug!
    I can hear my husband calling that name now, LOL!
    I probably should have noted above that he is a French Bulldog.
    Punkin likes this.

ClosetRTWatcher What a sweetie pie. Enjoy him. I wonder what he'll name himself? It is always fun to see their personality unfold.

I had the coolest thing happen to me the other day. The property where I've been working is full of Turkey's. I had stopped to take a water break and was standing under a shade tree looking over my work. This turkey came walking across the lawn about 6 feet from me. She had 8-10 hatchlings with her. She was easing them along, letting them peck around at the ground, softly clucking as they went. It was one of those cool moments, where you just blend into nature. I didn't move, just stood very still and enjoyed the experience and wished I had my camera.
    ClosetRTWatcher and Photobabe like this.

I love those moments. One time I had just finished a long walk in the woods and came out onto the road near where neighbors were clearing some land. There were big stumps where they had taken down trees and I went to the furthest one and stood on it. A breeze was blowing gently on my face. 4 or 5 fisher cat "kits" came out of the woods chasing each other around the stumps. I stood still as the breeze carried my scent away from their direction and watched them for the longest time. I don't know where their mother was, but she had to be close by. They are vicious weasels. Eventually they ran back into the woods and I was free to continue on home. You almost never see them to begin with and I had never seen young ones.
    Count your blessings!

I've been looking into the Native American idea of animal totems -- that certain animals appear in random places to send us a message. These aren't everyday encounters, but quirky and intense encounters like seeing a beaver waddling past my car in the parking lot of an Azteca restaurant (true), or a peacock sitting on top of a beat-up Toyota in a strip mall (true). Each animal supposedly symbolizes something that we're going through or need to work on. The beaver apparently symbolizes creation and building. But the weirdest one was when I was driving home from work and I saw what looked like a huge shaggy husky crossing the road. It stopped, looked at me, and then casually kept walking. It turned out to be a coyote (trickster totem), not even a mile from downtown!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on turkeys or fisher cats (?), but if you see an eagle up close, that's supposed to be the granddaddy of all spiritual totems so, you know, pay attention.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What is a fisher cat?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What is a fisher cat?
    They're large weasels. They're a good reason not to let your cat run loose if there are any in your area.

Candor, my most notable experience was after my dad died. He spent a few years in Europe during WWII and Mom had saved all his letters. After he passed I arranged them in chronological order and on what would have been his birthday a month later in May I started to transcribe them. These were the early pre-war letters when he was courting her. My parents were so much older than I was that this was a period in their lives I really knew nothing about. A much happier time full of optimism about their future.

The morning after I started on the letters, being the day after his birthday, I had an encounter with a redtail hawk that could only have been a sign from dad. A one-year old hawk, just back from its southern migration, very much in the prime of its life like my dad was in the letters. Redtails were already significant to me because I had worked with many in a rehab setting in college. Years later I was able to confirm that hawk was not just a random hawk.
    candor and inthegarden like this.

+ Reply to Thread