+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Crazy crap of the night. 2 of the gurls are on the bed with me, just hanging out.....Dez and Miss Celie. Casually, Dez gets down; Miss Celie stands up and strolls to the end of the bed. Dez, who is standing next to the bed and senses movement, starts doing little jumps to see what is going on on the bed or WHO is on the bed.....I think it's a case of "who". Once she seems to have satisfied her curiosity, Dez then leaves the room, and Miss Celie follows shortly after. Now, NO felines are in the room. It's like they've all gone to some clandestine meeting. Total silence in the house. Eventually Dez, Lola, Juliebelle filter back into the room.

I'd really love to know what that was all about and WHAT they were talking about, wherever they were!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'd really love to know what that was all about and WHAT they were talking about, wherever they were!!
    Plotting their mutiny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

I buy dog food from a farm feed chain store. Due to the former store manager's health issue's, they recently hired a new store manager. Yesterday, I bought a bag of dog food and when I got home and was unloading it, I noticed a large tear in the center back of the bag that had been taped closed. It was my mistake, I had checked the date when I bought the bag but didn't notice the tear. I took it back to the store. The manager was standing at the front door and I explained what happened and that I didn't feel comfortable feeding an opened bag of food to my dogs. He told me to go get another bag. I had the torn bag (35lbs.) in a cart. He followed me over to the food, took the old bag out of my cart, put in a new bag.

This is what bothered me... I turned to leave the aisle, looked back, and he was putting the torn bag back on the shelf with the other good bags of dog food. I didn't think the torn bag should have been placed back with the good bags but since he was the store manager I didn't say anything. Actually I was so shocked I wasn't sure what to say or if I should question him.
    The old manager kept an area in the back of the store where they placed damaged goods. Like torn bags of feed. They would mark them down and it was left up to the consumer to buy or not to buy the feed.
    Am I being too picky?
    Lesson learned, I guess I'll have to be more vigilant when I shop at this store.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 05-01-2014 at 01:31 PM.

I like the old manager's method. Usually, with dry dog food, there's nothing wrong with the food, but it should not be sold as a "good" bag. Personally I'd prefer & purchase the factory sealed bag, but many don't care & would like the discount. That way what's probably perfectly good food isn't going to waste.
    I agree with you. Check it carefully from now on.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I agree that, at a minimum, it should be marked down and left up to the purchaser if they want to buy the damaged bag. I wouldn't automatically expect that the food wouldn't be okay, but what if some food fell out of the bag when it ripped? The buyer *may* not even be getting the full amount of food they are paying for at full price. If I'm paying for a full sealed bag, that's what I expect to get!

I like a sealed bag too. I always worry where the bag busted and if the spilled food was swept up and placed back in the bag. You never know what type of chemicals or other things might have been swept up with the food.
    I know there are factory accidents but we receive recall notices for those, in store accidents you don't get a recall.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

You're right to find that hinky, inthegarden. I work for the Florida Department of Agriculture and while I don't work in the Feed and Seed section, my boss used to be the supervisor in that section so I know a little about it. I checked online and found this under FDA regulations:

The FDA allows the sale of salvage and distressed pet food to be sold as animal feed--the only restriction being that it cannot be fed to ruminants (cattle, sheep). This Pet Food Institute brochure http://www.petfoodinstitute.org/memb...ochure_New.pdf defines salvage and distressed foods as follows:

Salvage pet food is defined as product that is still under control of the original manufacturer and will not be offered for sale at retail. Examples include start-up and over-run product, unpelleted pet food, pet food fines, and other products not suitable for packaging for retail sale.

Distressed pet food is defined as product in distribution or at retail that is no longer available for retail sale. Examples include product in dented cans, torn bags, or product that is past its sell-by date. These products are also referred to in distribution channels as "unsalables".

Although I guess since it was being sold at a farm feed store, it WAS being sold as animal feed. If it was being sold at a pet food store, then it would have been a problem.
    Last edited by pikachu; 05-01-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Thank You pikachu for that very valuable information.

Most recalls of cat or dog foods have been kibble. They are far more susceptible to mold or pathogens like Salmonella than canned, or even commercial raw foods. I'll suffer through torn kitty litter bags if necessary but I wouldn't want a torn bag of kibble. Good thing you returned it, too bad the new manager isn't taking it seriously.

That is VERY interesting pikachu, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread