+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Considering how much Goodall has done for chimpanzee conservation, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe there was a good reason for what she did in that situation. IMO, she's one of the greats in wildlife conservation.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Shay, am I understanding correctly that your cats take your shoes? Yikes! If my cats started doing that, they'd do so in partnership with the dogs, because they are all buds. I'd be walking around in socks all of the time. I guess my "keep the shoes in high places" advice won't work! Maybe keep the boxes and double rubber band them closed? We put up with much crap from our furry kids, but I love mine to bits and they keep me from going entirely crazy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Lola "takes"/"relocates" one shoe, each. I used to have one gurl who would just chew a particular pair of my shoes (Aerosoles); didn't know that until I looked down, one day while I was out somewhere, and saw all of the little teeth marks. Fortunately, she didn't shred the shoes like a dog might. I have aided and abetted this PIA behavior by not putting my shoes away; I tend to come into the bedroom, take off my shoes, and just set them to the side.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

There was some turf war.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I'm not a Goodall fan. Years ago she blocked a proposal for a privately funded chimpanzee sanctuary in the US. It would have been a very good sanctuary and there was a shortage of sanctuaries for retired research chimps.
    This sparked my curiosity so I tried to research it but found nothing about this incident. I found a lot of articles about chimps used for research, chimps retired to sanctuary, and J. Goodall advocating for good retirement facilities for chimps. Can you be more specific? What year? What sanctuary? Who was funding it? It seems totally out of character for her to block something like this without a VERY good reason.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I wanted to report that Midnight is doing fine. She may have lost a little weight after her surgery and blood loss, but she's back to normal now, eating well, scampering around, and beating up the dog.

I think she was a little mad at me for awhile, but this morning I woke up with her laying on my chest again, purring away. Since the surgery, she will get in the same bed with me, but she wouldn't get too close.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Lil Bit, your post made me smile! I am so happy for her! They are so precious!
    Lil Bit likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Lil Bit That is good news. Thank you for letting us know that Midnight is healing nicely and getting back to normal.

I have freeze proof hydrants located around the farm. This time of year the Carpenter Bees use them to nest in on cold nights. If I turn on the water in the mornings, 3-5 will shoot out with the water.
    One of my dogs loves to chase them. This time of year, I keep Benadryl handy in case he catches one.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    This sparked my curiosity so I tried to research it but found nothing about this incident. I found a lot of articles about chimps used for research, chimps retired to sanctuary, and J. Goodall advocating for good retirement facilities for chimps. Can you be more specific? What year? What sanctuary? Who was funding it? It seems totally out of character for her to block something like this without a VERY good reason.
    Many years ago. It may never have hit the public airways. It was something I helped work on in a consulting capacity for a health care company that had used chimps in research in Europe and wanted to tag onto an excellent facility that was proposed to be built in the US. That meant a federal import permit from the US Fish and Wildlife Service and Goodall blocked the permit. The health care company was going to sink a great deal of money into the sanctuary but had no reason to at that point. I was really disgusted with Goodall. The reason was something like spots in the sanctuary should only go to US chimps. I believe it was the funding that would have made the sanctuary possible, for more chimps than just that company's retirees, so now no sanctuary. A really nicely conceived facility. There was a global need but she refused to take a global view to addressing it. The feds didn't want to go against Goodall's recommendation. Shame on them too.

To keep two shoes together that don't have laces, you could always use some kind of clip, like a clothes pin or one of those big metal ones used to hold a thick stack of papers together.
    I have kitty bite marks on my glasses.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread