+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

My gurls will, physically, back away from the door when I open it. That pleases me.
    Lil Bit likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My cats are always trying to get out. The oldest, Smokey, who is actually my husbands cat, has always been an indoor/outdoor cat. Hubby approves of this. Me... not so much. The younger two, Willow, who is my cat, and Midnight who belongs to my granddaughter, aren't allowed outside. I don't know if it's because Smokey can come and go as he pleases or what, but they are continually trying to sneak out. We do have a dog door that leads out to a cemented, fenced, covered dog run in our backyard. I have the door closed off, mainly because my granddaughters were climbing in and out of it but also because we no longer have a dog. I'm thinking that I'm going to open that back up this summer and maybe that will be enough to satisfy the cats "need" to be outside. Hopefully the kids are old enough now to not want to crawl out the door, or at least too big to fit through it.
    Kip and Brooks like this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think that sounds like a great idea, Lil Bit.
    My elderly neighbor has been sick and reported a dead animal in her back yard that turkey vultures were going after. She was worried it was one of my cats, but I assured her mine were all accounted for. I took a sturdy stick and a dust pan out and removed it for her. I can not figure out what kind of animal it was. It has black and white fur, what little fur is left, but the head looks long and pointy like a fox, not stubby like a skunk. She said it had a bushy tail (long gone) so opossum is out. I have pictures, but they're pretty disgusting. I'd better not post them here.
    Count your blessings!

Stupid story of the day:

This morning, when Lola reached out to touch my leg and caused me some pain, I knew it was time for a trimming of the claws! As rambunctious as she is, she handles the trimming without putting on too much of a show. I cradle her, on her back in my lap and everything is going well until I get to the last dew claw; she, suddenly, is not in the mood. There is no visible reason for her resistance, so we have a couple of words and I start softly singing "Where Is Thumbkin?" She goes calm and starts looking at me.....I cannot tell you how foolish I felt!! She let me complete the task and, when I was finished, she laid there for about 5 seconds and then got up and sauntered away. I burst out laughing!

Whatever it takes, I guess.
    Kip, Brooks, Gutmutter and 1 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I think that sounds like a great idea, Lil Bit.
    My elderly neighbor has been sick and reported a dead animal in her back yard that turkey vultures were going after. She was worried it was one of my cats, but I assured her mine were all accounted for. I took a sturdy stick and a dust pan out and removed it for her. I can not figure out what kind of animal it was. It has black and white fur, what little fur is left, but the head looks long and pointy like a fox, not stubby like a skunk. She said it had a bushy tail (long gone) so opossum is out. I have pictures, but they're pretty disgusting. I'd better not post them here.
    You don't think it was a dog, do you?

It's hard to say. That's as good a guess as any. I would never dream of suggesting that to my neighbor, though. She's very soft-hearted about things like that.
    Cornholio likes this.
    Count your blessings!

My baby Salem went to the vet today for the second time this week. She's been having coughing fits where she coughs 10-12 times in a row. All tests were run and it turns out she has asthma. At 15 years old she had recently developed it. A short-term steroid helped her out a lot since Monday. So she had a second one today. These shots last about 3 days. Then we'll see where she's at a week from now, if she is still doing better or back to the coughing fits. If she isn't better on her own, she will need a strong monthly steroid, but that has negative side effects and could cause kidney problems/diabetes. Her kidney function is already barely in the normal side, so the vet feels her age and with already downwards kidney function the long-term monthly steroid would cause her even worse problems. I really hope she's still doing better once the 3 day steroid is out of her system....

So my question is this: do you think this could have been brought on by a new area rug I got about a year ago? Both kitties never had sneezing, coughing issues before this rug was here. And this is what they lay around on all the time. The vet said NO, but I can't help but think these issues are related. The rug is wool and 18' x 12', but I think it is a cheaper grade of wool and it sheds. Am I crazy? Today I put beach towels down where they like to sit for now, but I am thinking I should get it out of here and see what happens? I'd hate to just trash it because it was really expensive and we'd need to replace it with a better one.

Go with your gut and see if the towels help. If they do, you've got your answer.
    Kip likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Cornholio, sorry to hear about Salem. Steroids can really tank the immune system, far more than just the threat of kidney or diabetes issues. Steroids are strictly suppressive, not a long term fix of any kind. I know of cats that have responded very well to Chinese herbal treatment but you'd need to find a very skilled practitioner. I doubt it was the rug. Perhaps there was some outgassing if it wasn't pure wool but I think that would be over by now. But it would be fairly easy for you to check whether removing it helps. Litter is something to carefully consider. Don't used an enclosed litter box and choose the least dusty litter you can find. Nothing with additional chemicals of any kind. All household cleaning products need to be completely benign, especially anything you might use on the floor. No volatiles in the house (like Pine Sol or air freshener sticks or essential or aromatic oils). Because cats breath them but can't easily metabolize them and they can build up. Vaccines can bring on this kind of damage. If your vet is still letting you vaccinate a cat that old, shame on that vet. The quality of food is also always a consideration because excellent health demands excellent food.
    Cornholio likes this.

Gut, I'm sure you can relate. Kind of sounds reminiscent of "somebody's" paper-white(?) problem, to me.

Hope you find the answer soon.
    Gutmutter likes this.

+ Reply to Thread