+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    DramaMama Juliebelle is showing signs of inconsistent mommy discipline. Clipping her claws was a must this morning, and it was ON. I have discovered when you let them get away without having to deal with less than pleasant situations for most of their lives, when you throw a monkey wrench into what they have come to expect, they don't do well. Cute and adorable is just not a good excuse; they are a lot like children, in that way. We struggled and struggled and, of course, I won but that much trouble is just not necessary. She can be like an eel! She has claws like hypodermic needles! We finally got through it, and she was acting sane when I released her, but she wore me out! Her sisters were just sitting in a circle and quietly watching the show; they are much better about it. Jules is still too cute and adorable, but I have managed to make my life difficult by buying into the feline hoodwinking.
    When my beloved cat son was still with me I used to say that clipping his nails was like trying to groom a badger.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    DramaMama Juliebelle is showing signs of inconsistent mommy discipline. Clipping her claws was a must this morning, and it was ON. I have discovered when you let them get away without having to deal with less than pleasant situations for most of their lives, when you throw a monkey wrench into what they have come to expect, they don't do well. Cute and adorable is just not a good excuse; they are a lot like children, in that way. We struggled and struggled and, of course, I won but that much trouble is just not necessary. She can be like an eel! She has claws like hypodermic needles! We finally got through it, and she was acting sane when I released her, but she wore me out! Her sisters were just sitting in a circle and quietly watching the show; they are much better about it. Jules is still too cute and adorable, but I have managed to make my life difficult by buying into the feline hoodwinking.
    I work from home and our cat sits/sleeps on a chair next to me most of the day. I sit on a plain wooden chair. The cat has a similar chair but with a bed pillow on it and a lambskin over that. You can tell who has it best around our house!

Anyway, our cat is not at all a lap cat, and doesn't like to be held, so trimming her claws can be difficult. I keep the clipper at my desk, and when her claws need trimming, I do one at a time as she's sleeping. I clip one while she's asleep, then she trills and half opens her eyes and looks at me like she's thinking "What are you bothering me for?" Then she'll lick herself or a minute or so and go back to sleep. The next claw can wait until the next nap or the following day. A slow process, but no more struggles.
    inthegarden and Photobabe like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm thinking about switching my cats to raw food.

I usually feed them dry food for my convenience, because wet food stinks so much (both the food in the bowls and the empty cans in the garbage) and the cats tend not to eat wet food that's been sitting out awhile so I have to feed them a small amount several times a day, as opposed to leaving a bowl of dry food out so they can snack when they want to.

I had read that wet food wasn't good for cats, because it's high in fat to make it taste good and can give cats digestive problems. However, now I've been hearing dry food isn't good for cats because it can make them dehydrated and it also has ingredients that aren't so good for cats in it that make it taste good. One website said it's like fast food for cats.

I looked at the Petco website and they have a couple of brands of raw food so I'm going to check them out at lunchtime.

Does anyone here have experience with feeding their cats raw food? Do the cats seem to like it?

I got my cats some fancy-schmancy refrigerated cat food once and they turned their noses up at it so I'm not sure if they're going to like raw food.

This is one of the brands I was looking at: Nature's Variety

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Lola's thing, this week, seems to be pinching the skin on the top of my toes with those little demon teeth in the front of her mouth. She doesn't do it hard; just enough me let me know that she is there and get an "ouch" out of me. Why can't she find other ways to entertain herself?

I am enjoying our snuggle time. She likes to be smooched on the top of her head and the top of her nose.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

She's an adrenaline junky. And... you don't bite, scratch or body slam her...yet!

At 3:30 this morning, I was peacefully sleeping when I was suddenly jarred awake by something beating on the wall. I jumped up to see what was breaking into the house. My office door was closed. I knew immediately the what was not breaking into the house, but trying to break out of my office. Once again my wild child had locked himself in my office. When I opened the door, he was sitting on my desk with his tail curled around his legs, wide eyed with a "What...was... THAT? face. He jumped down and curled himself around my legs, purring and chattering. Oh, thank goodness you found me! That stupid invisible cat playmate of mine locked me in the office...again. Knowing the innocent act would get him a hug instead of a scolding.
    He likes to play stuff the toy under the door, run to the other side and catch it game. During the game he had managed to move the (obviously not heavy enough) door stop which I had hoped would keep this from happening and locked himself inside.
    Brooks likes this.

I'm thinking about switching my cats to raw food.
    That’s terrific! My four year old beauties were weaned to raw and that’s all I’ve ever fed them. They’re in great shape, no health issues at all.

I usually feed them dry food for my convenience
    Convenience is actually the only reason to feed dry, and it’s unfortunate there are so many vets out there who think it’s ok. It’s the leading cause of health issues in our cats.

I have to feed them a small amount several times a day, as opposed to leaving a bowl of dry food out so they can snack when they want to.
    Cats evolved to eat many small meals during the day. Letting them graze on food left out all the time isn’t usually a good idea (unless it’s the way that, for instance, an old sick cat gets enough to eat). Jackson Galaxy has a recent video with his reasons against grazing. Do the wet brands you use contain any fish or seafood? Perhaps that’s contributing to the smell. They’re worth avoiding anyway. If it’s very warm in your home you could try putting a freezer pack under the food bowl and perhaps it will be tempting longer.

I had read that wet food wasn't good for cats, because it's high in fat to make it taste good and can give cats digestive problems.
    Cats absolutely need (just) wet food because they evolved in the desert and have a very low thirst drive, but the ingredients matter too. It’s actually the dry crap that’s most loaded with inappropriate ingredients to con the cats into eating it. Cats have no nutritional need for carbohydrates, so it’s ok to a point for there to be a lot of fat in the diet although it still needs to be in a natural balance with the rest of the food..

However, now I've been hearing dry food isn't good for cats because it can make them dehydrated and it also has ingredients that aren't so good for cats in it that make it taste good. One website said it's like fast food for cats.
    There are many reasons dry food is a very bad idea. Here’s an excellent website about it – Feline Nutrition It’s the article that knocked me off the fence years ago when I was waffling between wet and dry. Here’s another excellent article explaining why cats evolved as obligate carnivores and need animal-based food, not plant-based - http://www.felinediabetes.com/zorans_article.pdf Dr. Zoran understands cat nutrition better than anyone else I’ve come across.

I looked at the Petco website and they have a couple of brands of raw food so I'm going to check them out at lunchtime.
    It’s always very important to look closely at the ingredients. A common failing that may not be obvious from the package is many commercial raw foods were designed with dogs and mind and contain too much ground bone. Cats need a calcium source but not nearly as much as dogs do, or dogs can handle, and too much bone (calcium) can constipate the cat. They don’t need any more veggies than is necessary to keep their stools regular. Fish and seafood are inflammatory and may contribute to developing thyroid disease, so should be avoided except perhaps as an occasional treat. Grainfree is important because grains are often allergenic, but the food should be starchfree as well (eg, no potato or tapioca) because starch is a cheap, nonnutritional filler that can lead to diabetes in cats. Avoid anything with yeast as an ingredient (brewer’s yeast, nutritional yeast, etc.) because it’s a very common allergen in cats.

Does anyone here have experience with feeding their cats raw food? Do the cats seem to like it?
    I’ve mentioned I work a lot with animal communicators. My calico girl loves her food. It’s small whole critters I order from rodentpro.com. By feeding whole critters they get excellent crunching opportunities which really work their gums and keep their mouths healthy. (Dry doesn’t help teeth – it’s like eating pretzels and thinking that would keep your teeth clean, doesn’t work.) She doesn’t like ground food of any kind, she says it’s been “prechewed”, LOL.

I got my cats some fancy-schmancy refrigerated cat food once and they turned their noses up at it so I'm not sure if they're going to like raw food.
    Cats learn at a VERY young age what is safe to eat. When they’re older, if it doesn’t smell right, they may pass it off as poison. And if it doesn’t have the fake flavorings of some of the commercial foods, especially dry, it may not smell good enough to them. So for many cats it can be very difficult converting them to a different kind of food. First they have to get used to the smell, and a way to approach that is to slowly over time put just a dab of the new stuff under their regular food and then increase it over time. They may also need to adapt their GI tracts slowly to a new food to avoid issues like diarrhea. You could try offering them small scraps as you prepare food in your kitchen and see if they’re interested.

This is one of the brands I was looking at: Nature’s Variety
    Because I feed whole critters I haven’t had to worry for a while about the commercial brands and I don’t recall what I’ve heard about Nature’s Variety. The 5% veggies shouldn’t matter. I don’t know about the bone content of this brand.
    inthegarden likes this.

Excellent post Brooks.
    I'm going to add this...like us, cats have different meat/critter preferences too. I've found that out with my crew.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My cats don't like seafood AT ALL. I have to steer clear of anything with tuna, salmon, shrimp or whitefish in it because they won't eat it. And it's hard to find cat foods that don't include some kind of fish! They had a preference for beef and liver at one point but after I got them canned turkey cat food and they absolutely loved it, I usually get them poultry.

I got the kitties some duck and poultry kibble, duck medallions, and a selection of Nature's Variety canned foods so I can see which flavors they like best. I split a can of lamb between them at lunchtime. Dixie gobbled it up but Squirt was more interested in going outside to play than eating so he ignored the food. I'll have to see when I get home tonight if he ate any of the lamb.

The checkout lady at Petco said I can return any unused food if the cats don't like it so that's good to know! I got two cans of each flavor so if there's one the cats don't like, I'll know not to open the second can since I can return it.

In multi-cat households there's always a hold out on new food. I wonder how they decide among them which cat it will be. ;^)

I think part of it was timing and location. Dixie goes outside to play while I'm at work and I leave Squirt in the house. So he might have been grazing on dry food all morning while Dixie was outside, away from the food and working up an appetite. I leave the back door open while I'm home at lunch so the cats can go out and play, or in Dixie's case, come in and eat, so I think that's why Squirt wanted to go out and play while Dixie preferred to chow down.

He might be ok with the food once he's had a chance to try it.

+ Reply to Thread