+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Oh AnaBanana I'm so sorry to hear about Fletch. He sounds like a most wonderful dog and family member. I really like Glitternerfball's suggestions of celebration before the day comes. All you can really do is be there for your brother when Fletch decides it's time to go "home".

My beloved Snowflake, was very ill for several years. She was my dearest baby girl. She was diagnosed with a heart illness, then went blind in one eye, then had daily injections for kidney failure, then had a partial stroke. I just couldn't let her go, even though she was becoming so ill. She would still try to get up and greet me and sleep with me every night. One night, I realized that my begging her to stay, really wasn't fair for her. And I held her tight and told her it was alright for her to go to kitty heaven. And that I would be ok. And I would always love her. I gave her permission to go. The next day she died in my arms. And I sincerely believe that she had stayed around so long to get me through some of my most difficult times.

I belive that Fletch is totally aware of his state of being. And also genuinely knows how beloved he is to your dear brother and your family. Your brother may want to say his goodbye while Fletch is still alive to hear him. Making plans ahead of time certainly helps when your heart has broken. Your brother will need his strength to let Fletch go in the physical world, even though his dear puppy will always be with him in the emotional one.

I now have plans in place for my two kitts should anything happen to me, or to them. I have their containers for their ashes that match Snowflakes and they will all be buried with me when that time comes. It's something one doesn't want to think about, because the thought of loss and grieving is so terribly heartbreaking and personal. Pets can never be replaced. Just reunited with you later on.

May Fletch leave this world in love.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

a feral cat! thanks miss kitty. never heard that before. i don't know much about animals. i never had one. i searched it out, and it seems i may get her to come in the house, but whether i get to hold her or pet her is something that may or may not happen. we are still putting food on the deck.(but only during the day now. we were getting opossums on the deck at night!) my husband is gone on a work trip, but a couple of his friends came to check up on me. it had just snowed, so we followed rubys tracks to our wood pile. i think she has been staying in there. when we walked up to it, she sauntered out, blinked at us, and walked away. she didn't run! that's progress right? we took logs and made a little kitty hut so she has more room. then we put planks down on the ground, and hay on top of that. then put her cat bed in it. the wood pile is away from the house, and i think she's more comfortable there. once it gets warmer out, i am going to leave the door open a bit when shes around. who knows? maybe someday she will come in. thanks for the help!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    'Miracle' cat survives high-speed, 70-mile ride
    Male kitty was stuck in the underbelly of a sport utility vehicle

Veterinary technician Samantha Bosse holds Miracle, a
    male cat who is up for adoption at the Animal Welfare Association in Voorhees, N.J.

msnbc.com

VORHEES, N.J. - Curiosity didn’t kill one cat on a wild ride on the New Jersey Turnpike.

The feline, now known as Miracle, hitchhiked a ride on the underbelly of a sport utility vehicle just before Christmas. The gray and white cat traveled some 70 miles on the turnpike Dec. 23.

“I’m just amazed that the cat didn’t fall off or get blown off,” said Karen Dixon-Aquino, director of the Animal Welfare Association in Voorhees. The association is caring for Miracle and plans to put him up for adoption.

The SUV’s driver didn’t know about the stowaway until another motorist saw the cat through a wheel well and flagged down the driver.

Dixon-Aquino said Miracle probably climbed under the SUV and was asleep when the journey began. Somehow, the cat avoided being mangled by fan blades and other moving parts as he clung to the car.

“He was pretty freaked out,” Dixon-Aquino said. “His paws were burnt, one claw was missing and his fur was singed.”
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    anabanana, I hate to say it but Fletch is probly suffering as he can't move and it would be to his benefit to be "let go" tell your brother its for Fletch's sake not his and he needs to let him go and give him a safe and painless sendoff. its the part of loving an animal thats the hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by julitta View Post
    a feral cat! thanks miss kitty.... she sauntered out, blinked at us, and walked away. she didn't run! that's progress right? we took logs and made a little kitty hut so she has more room....
    That is great progress! Ruby is obviously beginning to trust you and welcome your assistance. I love the little hut you made with straw! It'll keep her warm and let her feel safe. Good luck! It sounds like you're well on your way to being "adopted" BY Ruby

Maveno Great article. I am absolutely AMAZED at how cats survive and endure long and terrifying ordeals. I'm so glad miracle will find a new safe home soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Maybe someone else has had this problem come up. Our boxer has started to urinate a lot - more frequently and in longer duration each time. He does drink a lot of water as well and we are getting concerned. He normally never has accidents and they say the boxers never wet their beds but he done this twice now and we are at our wits end.
    We took him to the vet last month and mentioned it to him (he went in for his biannually checkup and stuff) and they tested him for diabetes and stuff and found nothing wrong with him. We are thinking it may be his food but we switched him well over 3 months ago and this just started last month. Unless it is the food and it is just now starting to affect him. Any thoughts or has anyone has had this happen to their pet?
    I can't believe it was that long ago (11/13/05) that I posted about the problems we were having with Rocky. It is continuing and we've been to the vet twice since then. They are testing his thyroid again (a stronger, more thorough check) and if that is fine, then the next test will be for Cushings Disease. He is having some hair loss/scabbing around his hind legs/thigh area and since it's symetrical on both legs, the vet thinks it could be Cushings. She also thinks that b/c the symptoms are matching what he has been experiencing, with his weight gain (also symetrical - he is thick all over ) and with his thirst, urination, and the skin problems.
    We'll just have to wait and see what the tests show.

Thanks for the good advice and words of encouragement everyone.
    I went to visit Fletch this past weekend, and tried to gently suggest to my brother that it may be time to let him go. Brother got incredibly upset with me, and I found myself apologizing. I said my goodbye's and told him that I couldn't come back for a while, as my heart is broken. He said he really did understand, but he has to do what he has to do (whatever that means.).
    I believe Fletch knew I was there to say goodbye. He lifted his head and tried to grin at me one last time - probably remembering the first time he did it and freaked me out. Sure am gonna miss that canine.

Is anyone watching Animal Planet right now? They have something on called the Puppy Bowl II that is just a bunch of puppies running and playing in a little room that looks like a football stadium. There doesn't seem to be a point to it except to see the puppies look cute. It's three hours!

They even had a kitty half-time show sponsered by Bissell. Which consisted of kitties, yup, looking cute. I've had it on in the background and its made me laugh out loud a few times. It's getting a little old, though. I'm going to have to turn the channel.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    ...They have something on called the Puppy Bowl II...They even had a kitty half-time show
    AWwww. I wish I could watch that! Soooo cute! Maybe they could make it a weekly program, and use different animal teams, just to mix it up a bit. What FUN!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Not so sure if they actually DO have it weekly, or monthly, or whatever.. but I have caught it a few times (non Superbowl times).

It is really cute, but to be quite honest.. it gets stale after a while..
    Who would sit there and watch it for all that time?? I guess it's good for puppies &/or kittens when they're home alone for "entertainment".
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread