+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1388Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

I hate to be a downer in this thread, but I need some solid cat advice and I know y'all will be honest and fair. My 20 year old kitty boy has gone blind and is missing the litter box. He eats well and doesn't hide. I struggle with whether to take him to the vet to have him put down or wait. He doesn't groom and has had CRF for over 5 years. I know the end is near, but should I have him euthanized or let him live out his days with palliative care?

When I was struggling to make that decision for my dog, I read that cats and dogs hide how much pain they're really in. It helped me make a hard decision. But if you're sure he's not in pain, and you can deal with the litter box misses, it might be time to give him extra love and wait. What's CRF?
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm guessing Chronic Renal Failure.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

CRF = chronic renal failure. (It's more accurately chronic renal insufficiency.)

PhoneGrrrl, I can help you with that offline if you want. Cats can have good quality of life with kidney disease. Mostly depends how well it's managed and frankly vets aren't good at that advice. You haven't told us enough to know whether it's his time. The most powerful thing you could do would be to work with an animal communicator to ask your furbaby how he feels and if he wants to hang on some more. I can give you some excellent recommendations for that. Eating well is a huge sign because often the biggest issue with CRF is nausea and inappetence.
    Kip and inthegarden like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    CRF = chronic renal failure. (It's more accurately chronic renal insufficiency.)

PhoneGrrrl, I can help you with that offline if you want. Cats can have good quality of life with kidney disease. Mostly depends how well it's managed and frankly vets aren't good at that advice. You haven't told us enough to know whether it's his time. The most powerful thing you could do would be to work with an animal communicator to ask your furbaby how he feels and if he wants to hang on some more. I can give you some excellent recommendations for that. Eating well is a huge sign because often the biggest issue with CRF is nausea and inappetence.
    Great advice Brooks

PhoneGrrrl, Cats are much harder to read when making end of life decisions for them.
    Most cats, if given the opportunity, will make their on end of life decision pretty clear. Extremely ill or dying cats will seclude themselves, stop eating and drinking. Since he is still eating and drinking, I don't think he is ready to go...yet.
    There may be other issues that are causing him to miss his box that would be worth investigating. He may be having trouble getting in and out of his litter box or determining his location in the box. He might be experiencing a health issue flare up. Have you tried using PeePee pads? I think they are a great product. They absorb really well. I use them to line crates and when using litter is not an option. Try laying them around his litter box or in the spot where he is having his accidents. They might help.
    Kip and ArchieComic Fan like this.

I was at WalMart today and the woman in front of me at the checkout was having a hard time coming up with the money for everything. She would add one or two things and have the cashier give her a sub total. She had to stop with a few items to go that were pet related (food, treats). I asked if she would let me pay for them and told the cashier to finish ringing her out and then start with her items on my tally so she could be on her way. The woman was so appreciative. I told her that when I had been divorced with three kids I was on a mac 'n' cheese budget with all my cards maxed out, that my kids were grown now and doing well and I finally paid off the last card this morning. I told her to pay it forward in whatever way she could. The cashier was in tears. It was under $10 dollars which is nothing to me. Stop and count your blessings!
    Punkin, dagwood, Kip and 8 others like this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I did that in a grocery store once. This elderly man was concerned that his wife hadn't given him enough money, and I knew he was embarrassed. I couldn't stand that he would have the humiliation of having to put some food items back; I told him, "Don't worry. I've got your back." As it turned out, he had enough money; bless his heart, he fell all over himself thanking me for having his back.

Everybody else in the line was trying to look invisible. OK, by me. I was just glad to be able to be there for him if he needed me.
    Punkin, dagwood, Kip and 3 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Thank you all for your kind and helpful words. My boy, Czar*, passed last night (Saturday). I take comfort in that he had a long 20, nearly 21, years and he was in a good, comfy space when he went to meet his sister on the Rainbow Bridge.

But what I really want to tell everyone here and anyone you know with a cat with CRF (chronic renal failure) is that they can live a LONG time after the diagnosis. It freaked a friend of mine out when his 8 year old cat got the CRF diagnosis (he's doing fine on a modified diet...read the cans and call the cat food companies to get product info). My Czar had CRF for nearly 10 years, and it was only this last month that his health went south. There's a reason it's called "chronic"....with diet it can be helped. Heck, not many non CRF cats live past 12 years, let alone over 20. Czar and I were lucky.

*I didn't name him. He came to me at 8 years old. He was a Russian Blue with awesome long, grey fur. This is not a political post.
    Punkin and Kip like this.

I am sorry about Czar, he sounds like a lovely boy. He went to meet his sister on the Rainbow Bridge. How sweet-
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

((((PhoneGrrrl)))) Czar wasn't "lucky" so much as he had a terrific furparent.

CRF needn't be an imminent death sentence especially if you catch it early before there are symptoms. Routine blood work **and urinalysis** once they get older is important. Or you can fairly easily check the most useful aspects of the urinalysis at home if your cat uses a litter box instead peeing outdoors. In fact, occasional readings at home are often more conclusive than the snapshot in time at the clinic. And more cost effective. My cats are very used to my snagging an occasional sample. They're much too young for CRF but I can catch things like crystals before my cats are even aware something is going on. My last cat had CRF for several years and I learned a lot from her. I lost her to something else.

+ Reply to Thread