+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Do you know how they arrived at that "23 pounds and under" decision? That just seems bizarre, to me.

I tend to put ice cubes in my gurls water bowls, especially when the weather is warmer. Some of them love it; the others couldn't care less. In the winter, the water out of the tap is nicely cold. I ask if they want some "fresh", and they come running! I get such a kick out of what they understand/CHOOSE to understand at any given moment. They know their names....WHEN THEY WANT TO. They turn their ears toward you, but maybe not their faces. I guess an ear is as good as a face, any day!
    s/b 25 and under. Well its a condo, we don't want any sheepdogs..lovely as they are I am not sure why its bizarre though
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It just seems like a strange number. Why not 15? Why not 25? What is "s/b"?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It just seems like a strange number. Why not 20? Why not 25?
    I corrected it to 25. 25 and under.
    I don't like big dogs in houses, my son has a small house and a big lab, so for sure I don't think that's a good idea in a condo such as this
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have one idiot friend who kept a beagle in an apartment. I didn't think that was a good idea. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it their nature to bay? That's a bunch of bull in an apartment or condo with close-by neighbors.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My aunt and uncle had a germen shepherd that barked day and night. This was in a nice neighborhood in Los Angeles. One day they got an envelope in the mail. The only thing inside was a cut out column from Dear Abby. The person writing to Dear Abby said they had neighbors who were wonderful and went on to say how much they loved them and wouldn't want to hurt their feelings but their dog barked non stop. What could they say that would keep the friendship but get rid of the dog? Dear Abby's response was, "Send them a copy of this column." LOL! Message received loud and clear. My aunt and uncle felt so bad because they knew the dog was a menace but didn't know what to do. They were given the dog as a gift back in the day when people thought giving pets was acceptable. They found him a home asap.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

My brother in law has a house, across the fence from them is dog that will not stop barking. I take mine out 3 times a day, in the summer we go for long walks. This guy lets his out in the backyard, and leaves him there..I walked to the fence and the stench! OMG

I guess we are lucky, ours is a concrete building, and we have neighbours with dogs, never hear them, hardly see them
    -Andy Rooney-

You can buy citronella bark collars that work very well on some dogs, but not all. Most dogs hate the smell of citronella and quickly figure out that if they bark they get a nose full of the stuff! Some of my pet sitting clients use them.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    You can buy citronella bark collars that work very well on some dogs, but not all. Most dogs hate the smell of citronella and quickly figure out that if they bark they get a nose full of the stuff! Some of my pet sitting clients use them.
    I will let him know! thanks PB
    Photobabe likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

So its like my baby *sniff* grew up over night. Last night I was eating toast and reading on the computer. Mater jumped on me. Sniffed at her usual spot then sniffed at my toast. I was really into reading at the time and just moved my arm a little so she couldn't reach my toast. Awhile later I realize she didn't root around and she's not on me. So I think she's gone to sleep with my daughter or husband. I look over and she's on my husbands chair. Just laying there watching tv. (Her and Bates still don't completely trust the tv.) I was sooo proud. It was the first time, that I know of, that she was able to lay down by herself. If she's not with one of us she's usually sleeping with Bates.
    And then this morning as I was getting my coffee I see her playing with something. Its a dead mouse. I think Bates did the actual catching and killing. Probably. Not that I don't think Mater could do it. She is super fast and nimble. I'm just not sure if she's strong enough. But as she was sitting here attacking my hand earlier I might have to rethink that. Mater was having a blast tossing it around and attacking it while Bates watched, bored by it all. My son removed the mouse for me because if the cats want to eat it, they better do it before I wake up. My son and I have laughed so hard at her today. Since he got rid of the mouse, she hasn't stopped running around bouncing off the walls. He said it looked like she was training for American Ninja Warrior. LOL!
    Mr. Bates has been a little needy today. He mostly ignores me, tolerates my petting, but pretty much is his own man. Well he came to lay at my feet. Mater jumped on my lap. Sat there very sleepily. Looked at Bates, looked at my lap. Then she walked to my armpit and stuck her face in. No rooting and she didn't even lay down. She just stuck her face in there. I petted her and then she laid down on my lap and fell asleep like a big girl. I'm so proud!!
    Brooks and inthegarden like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Do you know how they arrived at that "23 pounds and under" decision? That just seems bizarre, to me.
    It's not uncommon for Condo Associations to try to restrict the number and size of pets so you don't get pet hoarders or too large animals in a small unit. When I had a condo several years ago, our CC&Rs limited dogs to 25lbs. or less, no more than two cats or dogs, and only dogs, cats, birds or fish were allowed. I served on the Board of Directors for 12 years (and everyone knew I had 3 cats) and we would routinely get requests from owners to make an allowance for their over 25lb. dog. We would meet with the petitioner and make sure they understood the rules of keeping dogs at all times on a leash, cleaning up their 'business', and keeping them from making noise that would annoy their neighbors. We would routinely grant a probationary period (if it was a new pet) of a few months and then grant their request. Only once did we have to force an owner to get rid of her dog. It was a pitt bull who had already gotten our attention by knocking over and terrifying an elderly Asian lady whose children came to our meeting to complain about the dog. A couple more complaints of aggressiveness came in from the dog's building and we had good cause to force her to find another place for the dog. An Association BoD can not take the chance of being sued for neglecting to maintain a safe environment when notice has been made of a potential threat. But we were not in the business of punishing people whose companion was 45lbs. We just followed a prudent course in granting exceptions.
    CantGetNuf and Photobabe like this.

+ Reply to Thread