+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I used to have a cat with double paws that sucked it's "thumbs".
    Punkin and CantGetNuf like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if Mater is damaged from being abandoned. When we first found her she wasn't old enough to eat or drink from a bowl so my dil fed her from a dropper. Now she's old enough to eat and she does but she wants to nurse on my robes so bad she can't stand it. Its like she has back slid. The last kitten we had did the same thing. As he got older he wanted to start nursing on our blankets or clothes. I had a mumu type dress that he absolutely loved. I swear I saw him get excited whenever he saw me wearing it. He would attack me trying to nurse on it. Mater does the same thing. But she does what I can only describe as a guttural purr. Its different from her contented purr. And she'll start rooting around and going crazy. She'll root, meow, bite my lips, lick my lips once, then root some more. She mostly roots at my arm pit. She'll squeeze her head under my arm. I tell her to root all she wants but all she's going to come away with is cotton mouth. Its the strange purr that she does when she's doing this that bothers me. I had read that cats will purr when they are in pain. It bothers me that she might want to nurse so bad it causes her painful distress. Anyone got any suggestions on what to do for her? Do they have kitten pacifiers?

PetAg makes a good milk replacer for kittens called KMR (kitten milk replacer). They also make a small bottle to use to feed the formula. It comes in both liquid and powder. I prefer the powder. It is a 2:1, 2 warm water, 1 powder, mix. It has instructions on the canister. You can freeze the unused powder. It can be found at Tractor supply, a farmers co-op, feed store, Petsmart and some Wal-mart stores. Check in your area.
    I've had good luck bottle feeding this to abandoned and feral kittens. I bottle feed until weening time and then use it to moisten their dry kittens food and mix it in their wet can food. It might not hurt to give Mater a bottle with a small amount of formula. It would help her with her suckling. Gradually reduce the feedings and formula. You don't want to give her too much because it can cause loose stools.
    Kittens suckle if they become stressed, sick or frighten.
    I found that abandoned kittens are at their most fragile stages during weening and at about 4-5 months old. If I loose one that is usually when it happens. Something else I hate to mention but I think you need to know, Mom cats will abandon their kittens because the kitten is ill. It may look healthy at first and then later their illness will show up. So keep this in mind with any kitten you find. I find that spring born kittens are much hardier than fall born kittens.
    They also need to be wormed and the Vet can give you the best wormer and the proper dosage for kittens. This information deals with the abandoned and feral kittens that I work with. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me.
    CantGetNuf and Brooks like this.

She has already started eating regular food. She's able to eat the hard food but she tends to only eat a few pieces and stop so I water it down to make it soft. Do you think I should go back to bottle feeding her? I think I will get the formula regardless to soften her food as I worry she's not eating enough even though she seems to be putting on weight. About two weeks ago she transitioned from pitiful baby who wanted to sleep 22hrs a day to a cold hard killer who wants to attack everything that moves. That is about the time she started the nursing thing. Another thing, she'll be running around attacking everything, jump on me to punch me in the nose, and then she spots my armpit and starts trying to do her nursing thing. Its like a drug for her. Not on her mind until she sees it and immediately whatever she was doing stops and she starts trying to root.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    She has already started eating regular food. She's able to eat the hard food but she tends to only eat a few pieces and stop so I water it down to make it soft. Do you think I should go back to bottle feeding her? I think I will get the formula regardless to soften her food as I worry she's not eating enough even though she seems to be putting on weight. About two weeks ago she transitioned from pitiful baby who wanted to sleep 22hrs a day to a cold hard killer who wants to attack everything that moves. That is about the time she started the nursing thing. Another thing, she'll be running around attacking everything, jump on me to punch me in the nose, and then she spots my armpit and starts trying to do her nursing thing. Its like a drug for her. Not on her mind until she sees it and immediately whatever she was doing stops and she starts trying to root.
    With kittens, I like to make sure they are getting plenty of liquids. They can dehydrate very quickly and that is why after weening, I like to use either formula mixed with their dry food or a good canned kitten food. Having said that, I think I would mix the formula with her dry kitten food. Mash it up to a soupy food consistency. Feed her this at least 2 times a day, 3-4 if you are able. Then you can offer her small amounts of dry kitten food. If you have older cats in your home, make sure she has a place to eat her wet food alone.
    I think Mater is going through weening/growing pains. From reading your posts, she runs and plays and then needs to come back for mom comfort time. That is pretty common behavior for her age. If you watch kittens at that age, they will play with their siblings, trying to shred each other and then all run back to mom for a quick nurse and her reassuring tongue cleaning that she gives each one. A quick nap and then they are back to demon mode.
    When she gets needy, you might try this, warm a plush towel or piece of fabric in the dryer, wrap her up in it or let her lay on it in your lap and then take a warm damp wash cloth and rub it gently over her face, her ears like a mom cat would do to clean her as she nursed. She will probably kneed the fabric, suck and catnap. If she falls asleep, move the towel to a warm spot and let her finish out her nap. This will help fill the need for her mom. Another thing that helps single kittens is a floppy soft plush stuffed animal (remove any parts that could be sucked off), warm it in the dryer and lay it with her. She can snuggle or rough house and gut it which ever she needs at the time. She needs to snuggle, suck and a safe something to practice fighting and hunting skills. Things that her mom and siblings are not there to provide.
    If you have other cats in the house, she maybe attempting to nurse one of them. If they are not receptive to her, its is confusing and frustrating to her and them too.
    Mater's lucky that she found a good surrogate mom to take care of her.
    CantGetNuf, Kip and Brooks like this.

My dog doesn't like to drink water. It's created a problem with him backing up (you know the kind of backing up I'm talking about). So now when I fix his food, I fix it in a large dog food bowl & fill it with water as well as food. I put some chicken broth or beef broth in it. He scarfs it all down. I do this 2-3 times a day. Without the food in there he would let it sit, even with the broth.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    My dog doesn't like to drink water. It's created a problem with him backing up (you know the kind of backing up I'm talking about). So now when I fix his food, I fix it in a large dog food bowl & fill it with water as well as food. I put some chicken broth or beef broth in it. He scarfs it all down. I do this 2-3 times a day. Without the food in there he would let it sit, even with the broth.
    My two drink so much water, I think they might burst! I always make sure when they go in a hotel while we are way they get a ton of water. She knows them now, so that make it easier..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You have 2 dogs in a condo inside a building?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    You have 2 dogs in a condo inside a building?
    Umm yes, many condo owners have two dogs..most have one. They have to weigh 23 pounds and under..
    Punkin, prhoshay and CantGetNuf like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Good idea to mix water into his food. But if the broth is salty, that may not be good.

Maybe you could try putting some water out in another place or two. Maybe your dog would like a different bowl, or just the surprise of finding water in a new place.

In our house, the living area is upstairs and the bedrooms are downstairs. Our cat spends 95% of her time upstairs. But she often goes downstairs to drink water. We have both a shower and tub in our master bath. I only use the tub about once a year. I keep a dishpan of water in the tub for the cat. When I go to shower, I dump the water from the dishpan into the toilet and then refill it with water from the shower while waiting for the hot water to come out. The cat always has a small bowl of water next to her food dish upstairs, so I'm not sure why likes the downstairs water better. I just now realized - it's usually 5-10 degrees cooler downstairs - maybe she likes her water chilled.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Umm yes, many condo owners have two dogs..most have one. They have to weigh 23 pounds and under..
    Do you know how they arrived at that "23 pounds and under" decision? That just seems bizarre, to me.

I tend to put ice cubes in my gurls water bowls, especially when the weather is warmer. Some of them love it; the others couldn't care less. In the winter, the water out of the tap is nicely cold. I ask if they want some "fresh", and they come running! I get such a kick out of what they understand/CHOOSE to understand at any given moment. They know their names....WHEN THEY WANT TO. They turn their ears toward you, but maybe not their faces. I guess an ear is as good as a face, any day!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread