+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I think sometimes the sound effects are part of the plan. I mean, they're usually perfectly capable of zooming around without making any sound, so I assume when it's really noisy they probably intended it that way.
    prhoshay likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

She's also been unusually chatty and bushed out this morning. She DID inspire Dez to romp with her this morning. Lola was all but invisible.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    Attachment 29596
    Apparently my lap is no longer warm enough for Mater aka Little Big Ears.
    Like the rest of the country we're going through a deep freeze. This morning as Mater and I were poking at the fire I heard a kitten cry. I look at Mater. Nope not her. WOW is Bates voice really that pitiful? Look over and there is Bates sleeping on my bed. OMG OMG OMG There is another kitten under my house!! My sons have crawled up under the house and seen him but couldn't get to him and he acts like he wants to find them but can't. They say he looks just like Mater. And I'm thinking he has the same eye problem Mater had since he can't find his way to my sons. Our pipes have froze so my sons ended up having to take down some of the siding to get under there. Of course then they couldn't find the kitten at all. Just now we heard him again. IDK what to do. And WTH is going on? We found Mater right before Thanksgiving. Where has this kitten been all that time? And I KNOW these are tame kittens because they respond to me saying kittykittykitty. And I was going to agree that someone put Mater under our house which makes no sense because we live in the middle of no where. If someone comes on our property we know it. But why would they sneak back more then a month later to put another one under the house. The whole thing is confusing. Ya'll keep your fingers crossed that we can find this kitty before the weather gets him.
    My guess would be Mater's mom has picked underneath your house as a safe place to nest her kitten's during bad weather or while she is out hunting or, this spring, catting around. She probably has several nesting spots she keeps them depending on the weather. You might try putting out a good smelly can of catfood during the day and watch. You might see her coming or going.
    CantGetNuf likes this.

So Mater is in trouble with my husband. She keeps crawling under the covers while we sleep and attacking any dangly bits she can find. I wake up to him sitting up, throwing the covers off, and cussing. Of course I have to try and hide my laughter as he doesn't find it a bit funny.
    Punkin likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

hee hee
    Count your blessings!

I may have told this before, but when I'm sitting at the kitchen table, Juliebelle likes to leap up, placing one paw in front of my shoulder and one behind, and close in for the nuzzle; obviously she uses her feet, too.....no claws noticeable. If Lola did it, I would be bleeding.

When I first noticed Jules at the humane society, she was tucked back under a chair just watching the chaos going on in the room with the other kitties. She reminded me a lot of myself in a room with lots of people. My now-deceased MIL described me as doing just that when I first came to her home; it was a family of 6 loud, adult children and everyone was talking; I was standing against a wall, just watching.
    CantGetNuf and Kip like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Juliebelle tries to jump up to say "good morning", to me, today; the "carpet shark", Lola, tags onto her tail and tries to pull he back down...in mid-leap. I grabbed Jules and bought her on up so, I guess, I won!

Good Morning, Everybody!
    CantGetNuf likes this.

I'm starting to wonder if Mater is damaged from being abandoned. When we first found her she wasn't old enough to eat or drink from a bowl so my dil fed her from a dropper. Now she's old enough to eat and she does but she wants to nurse on my robes so bad she can't stand it. Its like she has back slid. The last kitten we had did the same thing. As he got older he wanted to start nursing on our blankets or clothes. I had a mumu type dress that he absolutely loved. I swear I saw him get excited whenever he saw me wearing it. He would attack me trying to nurse on it. Mater does the same thing. But she does what I can only describe as a guttural purr. Its different from her contented purr. And she'll start rooting around and going crazy. She'll root, meow, bite my lips, lick my lips once, then root some more. She mostly roots at my arm pit. She'll squeeze her head under my arm. I tell her to root all she wants but all she's going to come away with is cotton mouth. Its the strange purr that she does when she's doing this that bothers me. I had read that cats will purr when they are in pain. It bothers me that she might want to nurse so bad it causes her painful distress. Anyone got any suggestions on what to do for her? Do they have kitten pacifiers?
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

They do make kitten pacifiers. You can get one on amazon.

One of our cats liked to nurse all the time. We got him at the Humane Society so I don't know if he was abandoned or not. We got him a sheepskin that he liked to knead and nurse on until he died at age 15 or so. Oh, and I used to have a white pile bathrobe that he loved to nurse on. One of our kittens used to like to root into my husband's armpits - but I don't remember what cat that was.

I'd try a pacifier. Or maybe a kitten bottle with some kitten milk. We had to feed our cat kitten milk when we first got her.

Our current cat, California Girl (CaliGirl for short) was rejected by her mother. My husband brought her home from a flea market. She was four weeks old - weighed less than a pound. She doesn't have nursing issues, but isn't super friendly - but I don't know if that's from being rejected or just her personality.
    CantGetNuf likes this.

I've heard that cats/kittens that want to nurse were removed from their mothers too early. I used to have a cat who liked to suckle my blanket, and she'd get all into that loud purr. When she was through "nursing", or I stopped her because she was driving me crazy, she would have suckled a big wet spot on my blanket. Gross! She never went for any part of my body, though.

I think she was self-soothing.

+ Reply to Thread