+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1383Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    How lucky you are, Inthegarden!! We city folk don't get so much variety. I hope you do take some pictures and share them here!

Once I was at Folsom Lake (near Sacramento) for something. From a distance I could see a really large flock of migrating geese coming towards the lake and the noise from thousands of "honks" got louder and louder! Suddenly they all, it seemed at once, alit on the lake and honked their hearts out. I thought perhaps they were celebrating another milestone in their travels south. This went on for maybe 45 minutes until, at first one, then another, and then all of them flew up and circled and made formations high above and headed south, the cacophony of honks getting further and further (or farther?) away. It was breathtaking!
    I have the usual urban varieties of birds cardinals, sparrows, blue-jays ... etc and some finch that visit my neighbor's feeders and an abundance of squirrels because he gives them peanuts.

However ... he has an African Grey parrot who'll offer you a beer among other things.
    And ... one of his relatives asked him if he would "temporarily" bird sit her Mom's Cockatoo in his home. ... Now it turns out that the Mom has a disease that will require her to be in a "facility" ... and so will no longer be able to care for the bird. He is not sure what he'll do.

These birds are a lot of work ... quite noisy and need a lot of attention. They are known to have behavior problems, however this bird is pretty well behaved ... but the Grey is a tad jealous.

Cockatools live a long time and sometimes outlive their owners. It is a sad situation because people buy or adopt these beautiful birds ... and do not research them.
    I am lucky to be able to visit! I get all the joy with no bird poop and don't have to provide for them in my will.

I have no cats except all of yours ... but I still have my very special dog ... and I made her homemade holiday shaped treats as a present.
    Last edited by echo226; 12-30-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    Punkin and inthegarden like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I have no cats except all of yours ...
    Awwwww. And you know we love to share them with you!

Inthegarden, those look just like my geese! I don't know for sure, but I suspect they may have once been a flock of migrators who noticed this three mile strip of evergreen lawns (with a golf course thrown in) and many ponds full of duckies, seagulls and pigeons with lots of nice people and little kids feeding them daily and thought, "Hey, this is south enough! We're staying!" That's what I think!

Its a three blanket, two cats, one chair kind of cold today.
    Bates Resized.jpg
    Punkin, Brooks, Gutmutter and 1 others like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    Its a three blanket, two cats, one chair kind of cold today.
    We have two cats and they dutifully sleep on the bed with us. We think we need to rent a few more cats to get us through tonight's bitter cold.
    Punkin and CantGetNuf like this.

This storm is named "Hercules"! We've been talking about it in the Sports forum under "NFL" because of the game at Lambeau Stadium tomorrow. I gotta' give it to you guys in the north and Canada! Just pictures of that weather shivers me timbers!

Our kitties are romping about in the sunshine outside. How do people walk their dogs?? How do the birds and wildlife survive?
    Cute cuddle-up pic!
    CantGetNuf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    This storm is named "Hercules"! We've been talking about it in the Sports forum under "NFL" because of the game at Lambeau Stadium tomorrow. I gotta' give it to you guys in the north and Canada! Just pictures of that weather shivers me timbers!

Our kitties are romping about in the sunshine outside. How do people walk their dogs?? How do the birds and wildlife survive?Cute cuddle-up pic!
    Punkin, to answer the bolded. With dogs, there are a lot of variables. Some dogs love snow and can't wait to run outside and roll in it, tunnel in it, play. Others absolutely hate the stuff. For those dogs and for small dogs, generally the pup parents shovel out a spot in the yard where the dog can see and smell the grass so it will do it's business. Where I live homeowners are required to have their sidewalks shoveled within 24 hours of a snow storm. Dog walkers can then walk the dogs on the sidewalks. Until sidewalks are shoveled walking is done in the street (assuming the street has been plowed).

Wildlife generally manage to do OK. Unless the weather is extreme and continues that way for a prolonged amount of time the resident wildlife know how to handle it.

In spite of the 5 inches of snow on the ground Miss Kitty decided to slip out yesterday. That was a shock to me since she doesn't "do" snow. She ran out the front door and jumped off the porch into the snow. I quick grabbed a broom that I keep on the porch for clearing my car and ran to the slider to the deck with the intention of clearing a space so she could safely jump up, because that is the way she usually comes in. To get to the deck, she had to go down the side of the house, across the back, jump on the fence and then up onto the deck. In the time it took me to grab the broom, shut the front door and walk about 15 feet to the slider, she was already there! When I opened the door she ran past like a bullet, up the stairs and onto the bed. That's my girl. She does not "do" snow!
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Why is my Maine Coon so much more tolerant of my bad-arse, rowdy-a gurl Lola than she is of my adoring, gentle gurl Juliebelle? It just about breaks my heart to see Juliebelle gazing at Dez with mushy adoration, and Dez just acting like she doesn't exist, or slapping her away. Dez treats Lola totally different.....and Lola is the pain in the butt, but they lay all close together and groom each other. Dez, over all, is a very sweet, gentle gurl but she also has that Maine Coon aloofness....my groomer calls her "stuck up"....I do not disagree.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It is interesting to wonder why a cat wouldn't like another cat. I wonder if its the same reason some people don't like others. Different personalities.

We got our full grown cat, Mr. Bates, about 2 weeks before we found the kitten, Mater(We let our grandson name her), under our house. Mr. Bates has a lot of "wild" in him. My daughters friend from school works at an animal shelter and he had to take his own cat (Bates) there. Mr. Bates was killing their chickens. The friend was crying to my daughter that Bates was almost out of time at the shelter so my daughter told him we would take him as our cat, Daryl, had gone off to join the zombie apocalypse. They fixed Bates and gave him all of his shots and didn't charge us anything since we were saving him from death row. I am so glad we got him. I LOVE MR BATES! He is just like his name sake. Calm and cool, just a little aloof, and a cold blooded killer. jk. When we first introduced Bates and Mater, Bates started growling. My dil was holding him at the time and I told her to put him down because I was worried about what he would do. He's a pretty strong cat. So we kept them apart as much as possible. A couple of weeks later and Bates is using Mater as his chew toy. Mater would start squalling and we'd all run to save her and as soon as we got Bates to let her go SHE would attack HIM. Crazy kittys! They love each other now. Mater had goopy eyes. We'd have to clean them everytime she took a nap. In the mornings she couldn't even open them. Bates started grabbing her with his front paws, kicking her legs out from under her with his back paws and then hold her down and lick her eyes. Now she doesn't have an eye problem anymore. I tell Mater all the time how lucky she is to have such a good step daddy. The real funny part is the way Bates looks at us after he's finished grooming her. Kind of like, "If you pitiful humans knew how to take care of a superior species such as us cats, I wouldn't have to deal with the little terror."
    Punkin, inthegarden and Photobabe like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Actually, Juliebelle's personality is very similar to Dez's. Juliebelle looks like she has Maine Coon in her, and tends to be a bit aloof, too, but extremely gentle and non-aggressive. Dez is a purebred. Juliebelle has the "creaky door" voice, which she uses much more than Dez uses hers; Dez has a teeny voice to be the largest gurl in the house. Dez can have major claws, but doesn't really use them; I have to stop her from clawing at my shirts and the bed clothes when they get too long; Juliebelle doesn't really use hers, either. Oh well, I'm hoping that things will change.

Lola is just goofy and rowdy and rough. Lola and Juliebelle are very close and pretty affectionate with each other.
    Punkin likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I never knew their voice had to do with their breed. Very interesting. And it explains why Mr. Bates is such a huge tough bad a-- with a little pip squeak voice. My husband just asked me about a week ago if I'd even heard Bates speak. I said yeah but not much and when he does its just one little cry. Just enough to get my attention. When I look at him he either runs to the door or the food bowl. Sometimes when he first comes in he'll jump on my lap and give a little half meow as a salutation. Not even a half meow. More like just a noise.

+ Reply to Thread