+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Yay! My foster kitties have a possible home

Boo! They might leave me :cry

Seriously, these guys came as hissing, clawing, antisocial hiding under the bed fur shedding all over the place balls of fur. Now they sleep on me, initiate play time with me and each other, crawl up to be pet - and even allow me to give them medications, no problem. The rescue guy was amazed. While you still can't hold one, she's just not a holding cat - but she loves to snuggle up right next to me and make sure her paw is on my hand, and she is an awesome fot messager.

Can't wait to meet their new family, and hope they are purrrfect for them.

(that's my favorite of the two I've had her the longest and she was the most violent scared little thing, she was on death row! Had worms, etc. Now she gives me a 5-10 minute foot massage each night when I return home)

What a picture! What a kitty! you found a home, you might lose them. But then again, you found them a home! What a double-edged sword fostering can be. Kudos to you for taking in the furry ones in great need.

I'm so glad their true loving personalities have come through after spending time with you. Kitties are truly wonderful aren't they? And by the way, so are you
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Does anyone have any experience with feline acne? Our oldest cat has had it for about two months. We changed all their dishes to stainless steel ones, in case the acne was caused by a reaction to the plastic dishes. His chin has cleared up pretty well, but yesterday I found a large-ish clump of black stuff under his chin. I checked the other cats, and now one of the siamese has the same black "dirt" under her chin that the oldest had in the beginning. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Marley - our local rescue organization's newsletter had a terrible story about a dog choking on a Greenie. We give both of our dogs DentaBones (made by Pedigree). Our older dog, Simon, is a Jack Russell Terrier and he's had his teeth cleaned several times by the vet. Our other dog, the infamous Henry, doesn't seem to mind us brushing his teeth and it's really not that difficult to do. We adopted Henry (so we don't know his "history") but in the four years that we've had him the vet has never said that he needed to undergo a teeth cleaning. We just use a brush and toothpaste that we got at Petsmart and give him the occasional DentaBone.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by MeezerMom View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with feline acne? Our oldest cat has had it for about two months. We changed all their dishes to stainless steel ones, in case the acne was caused by a reaction to the plastic dishes. His chin has cleared up pretty well, but yesterday I found a large-ish clump of black stuff under his chin. I checked the other cats, and now one of the siamese has the same black "dirt" under her chin that the oldest had in the beginning. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!
    I still need to clean Joeys chin every now & them because once in a while he digs his chin into the food bowl or gets bits of food stuck there - Don't ask me how. I just take a warm wet washcloth and scrub his chin then dry it and he's good for another 1000 miles. Here's a link for this also that may help.

http://www.fabcats.org/acneandstudtail.html
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Thanks for the link, gabriel! Most of the sites I've found give basically the same info. I talked to the vet, and she said to put a bit of Polysporin on Doofy's chin if it starts to look really sore. She's not sure why Kayla has started to develop acne. I just have to keep an eye on everyone to make sure the other two don't "break out", or things don't get worse. I'm pretty fanatical about washing their chins now-one washcloth for each kitty, and boy, do they ever scatter when I bring out the washcloths!

We are moving, and the airline will let me bring my 5.5 kg (12 lb) Shih Tzu in the cabin (yay) but they want her sedated. In the past I have dosed her like an infant using dimenhydrinate (Gravol for Canadians, Dramamine for Americans) and even considered Benadryl. However, it is not available down here in liquid, and I stupidly threw away the stuff I had. The vet gave me "Pacifor" which is Acepromazine 1 percent and told me to give her 3 drops (half dose). I tried it out the other day for a test run, and admittedly I probably ended up putting 5 drops in her mouth because she was so squirmy. Well, the dog could barely walk, and was staggering around like she was on a bender. I really thought this medicine was way too strong. The only thing I can think of doing is putting 2 drops on a piece of food she likes (she'll eat anything) and feed it to her that way so I can be more accurate with her dose. Other than that, I would welcome any suggestions. She is generally not bad and never barks once we have her settled under the seat, but she does woof while being carried around in her Sherpa bag in the airport.

FORT Newbie
    i wuv my kitty

Okay all you animal luvvers - I need some advice...I do not own a dog. My spouse is not an animal person. He believes dogs should be kept on a leash outside and they dont belong in a people house. (I strongly disagree, so let's just leave that issue for another time.)

My brother has a dog, who is truly the best friend he has EVER had. He purchased Fletch after a terrible hunting accident, in which my brother was badly injured, and honestly, I believe that Fletch was the best therapy he could have ever gotten. My brother literally spent 24-7 with that dog as a puppy, training him, loving him, and teaching him to be a good companion. He is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, and is absolutely the smartest canine I have ever seen. When we visit, and smile, he grins ear to ear back at ya. The first time he did it, it scared the crap out of me, until Brother Bannana explained that Fletch was as happy to see me as I am to see him. My boys have learned to play Chase (instead of Fetch cuz it sounds too much like Fletch) with the dog, have learned how to properly care for animals, and they have come to love him like a cousin. (Which he is if you ask any one of us.) Fletch knew how to open the front screen door on the house to let in the neighbor dog. Together, they would sit in front of the television and just sit back relaxing - cutest thing!!

Well, the years have flown by, and now Fletch is quite ill. He is loaded with lumps, his hearing is gone, and he can hardly walk. My brother is tired of hearing everyone tell him to have Fletch put down, and has started getting angry if anyone even mentions it. He said it will be bad enough when he passes, but he just cannot bring himself to "do the right thing", so he is just allowing him to expire naturally. My brother is in a terrible state, and the dog is a pityful site. Any advice on how to ease my brother's grief? My mom swears when Fletch goes on to doggie heaven, we will have to have a full blown funeral service at the local funeral home because everyone in town knows and loves that dog. I know the day is coming soon, and frankly, I am worried how I handle it with respect to my brother.

Well ana, when my beloved kitty became that way (covered in lumps, everyone telling me to put her down) - first, I told them to shut up because honestly, the strongest bond is between the animal and the owner (your brother and Fletch) and your brother loves him and will know when the right time is.

Second, I had a party celebrating her life, and all my friends and neighbors came. The kitty walked into the middle of the room and lay down, happy and content that all love was directed toward her. We had food, signed a giant card, and shared stories about her. That really helped to prepare for the inevitable (I think she passed 2 weeks later? I did put her to sleep - she told me, and I listened)

That might be something to consider, because it let me know that a lot of people cared and were ready to be there when I needed them, and didn't scoff at it being 'just a pet'. I also started setting up the funeral arrangements (yes, she has a plot, casket, tombstone) and paid for that all before she passed, and had two people ready for that day - one to be the 'adult' and deal with the car issues, the money (gave her my credit card), etc. so I didn't have to - and one to be my best friend to cry on and just be a blubbering fool.

So i would say, prepare everything now, let him know you are all there for him and love Fletch and that while he is physically gone, he will always be there with all of you.

+ Reply to Thread