+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

When I worked in assisted living my employer was really big on what was called "Edenizing". Where you have a lot of plants and animals for the residents. So we had fish, birds, and two cats. A couple of times there were potential residents who refused to live with the cats either because of allergies or they just hated cats. My boss would not give. We did get one resident who asked her to get rid of the cats because she wanted to live with us but was allergic. My boss told her sorry but the cats stay. So she talked to her DR who gave her Claritan and she never had a problem with the cats. Now this was a lot bigger space then a residential house so she was able to avoid the cats a lot. But your son might want to try Claritan or another non drowsy allergy medicine.

I understand having to corral the kiddos when company is coming. One of my peeves is a begging dog. I don't mind a dog being in the dining room while we're eating but I cannot stand for a dog to beg the whole time we're trying to eat. And I've seen a lot of things posted by pet owners saying things like, "My pet is my child and this is their house." I have kids and this is their house. But I won't let my kids jump all over a guest and I make my kids get up and move out of a spot for our guest to sit comfortably. And I sure don't let my kids cold dead stare a guest down while they're trying to eat. So yes I understand the love of a pet and I sure wouldn't let a guest mistreat my pets but I also keep in mind that not all guests love my animals the way I do.
    Punkin and prhoshay like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

I have a tiny house, so really nowhere to coral them to, but they have an outdoor access window in the basement and I keep the mud room door open in situations like this, so they could be in the basement, outdoors, or in the mud room if they don't want to be around company. I already put together a basket of nasal spray, Claritin, Mucinex, allergy eye drops, inhaler, etc. He doesn't like to take any kind of medication, but he will if he gets miserable enough.
    Punkin and Kip like this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My gurls will usually disappear when company comes, so that's how they cope a lot of the time but, with my son, they like to meddle with him. MY allergic butt ALWAYS has antihistamine in the house....the 24-hour kind!

I remember sneaking my cat, who would sit up under my chair, green beans when I was a kid! She didn't bother anybody else. Sister loved her green beans!
    Kip and inthegarden like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I once had a cat named Bart. I think I told you all about how much he loved Halloween. Well, Bart also loved snow. He would leap in it and burrow under the snow emerging several feet away. Then he'd take a quick look around and dive in and burrow some more. Oh how I miss that cat!

Miss Kitty doesn't "do" snow at all. She has discovered the Christmas tree and now spends most of her time napping under it.
    I love Miss Kitty's very glamorous avatar. Laying among her Purr...als (pearls) under the Christmas Tree.

My wild man is under the tree in dive bombing mode.
    Punkin and Photobabe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I have wild turkeys that roam my pastures. I enjoy watching them especially when they encounter a fence. Fences confuse turkeys. In the spring, the chicks run along with their mom as she grazes. When they approach a fence, she flies over or looks for an opened gate to go through. The chicks are small and can jump through the hole in the fence wire or follow her through an open gate. In the fall, they have doubled in size and can no longer fit through the holes in the fence. That is when it becomes entertaining to watch. The turkeys come to a fence and thinking they are still small, attempt to jump through the holes. Nope! They run up and down the fence poking their heads through the holes. Up and down, up and down. This continues until one turkey realizes it has ....wings... it flies over the fence and starts grazing while its siblings are still frantically running up and down, poking....until another one and then another flies over.
    During one of these episodes, a turkey ran the whole length of the fence to an open gate and instead of walking through the gate flew through.
    I've read that a turkey can run 25 mph and fly 55 mph. I'm not too concerned about my dogs catching a turkey. One dog is too slow and the other dog wouldn't know how to catch a turkey. They are happy running through the tall grass flushing out turkeys and running them until they fly off into the treetops. Seeing those big turkeys looking out through the treetops is oddly funny.
    These are current pictures of last springs turkeys. They have grown up. As I posted earlier, fences confuse the heck out of them.
    There is always a slow learner in the group who stills tries to go through the fence instead of flying over.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Punkin and Brooks like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I'm getting cat-boxed out.

We've got our cat. And we're housesitting my son & DIL's 3 cats from Dec 26-Jan5 (there at our house). Their cats are all lovely, but our cat freaks out when she sees them. So when our cat goes to sleep, I put her in our bedroom (she sometimes sleeps in our bathroom, anyway) and let the 3 cats out. So far, the 3 have been easy to get back into the big bedroom where they're staying. They think that room is their safe place, so if I close the door to it, they all want to go back in. I've had them here for longer periods of time - and when they get comfortable here, it can take me a half hour to round them all up if they don't want to go back in. I've put bird seed outside their windows so they've had a constant parade of birds and squirrels to watch. I play with them every couple of hours, so they get more attention here than they do at their home when my son & DIL are at work all day.

And, my daughter and her husband are away for a few days, so I drive over to their house twice a day to feed and clean the litter boxes of their 2 cats. They'll be back tonight.
    Punkin and Brooks like this.

What lovely birds! How lucky you are! I love all kinds of birds. I live next to Colma, San Francisco's cemetery city (town motto: It's great to be alive in Colma!) There is a large flock of grey geese who live there year round and fly from one cemetery to the next, enjoying the ponds and "mowing" the grass. I just love to watch them. They are so beautiful. Some cemeteries don't like the droppings they leave behind and hire dogs to chase them off. But the lovely things are undeterred! They'll just hop over to the next cemetery for a bit, but they'll be back as they please! When we are driving by and DH spots them, he'll say, "Look, there are your birds." Yes, I think they might be mine! Performing their little routines just for my pleasure! I can tell you feel something of the same about "your" turkeys.

I love watching them too. We have a variety of birds that live all around us. Bluebirds that live in the barn eaves and bluebird houses. Hawks who sometimes dive bomb the dogs when they are hunting, Flocks of Geese, Quail, Dove, Blue Herons, backyard birds and seasonal fly through birds. Surprising because of my cats and dogs. We all co exist peacefully...most of the time. My favorite bird is the swallow. I know spring is here when they arrive. There is one pair who always build a nest under my porch eave and raise 2 sometimes three batches of babies before leaving in the fall. The others build in the barns and outbuildings. They drive the cats crazy, swooping and warning them away. They follow me when I mow. Diving down in front or behind me, catching the bugs that I disturb. So much fun to watch.
    When I travel down to our row crop farms, I pass over a small river and the Blue Herons have groups of nest in the trees along the bank. It is at sunrise and you can see the outline of the Herons standing over the nest, taking care of the babies. It is the coolest sight. I'm hoping to be able to take pictures of them this spring.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 12-30-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    Punkin likes this.

How lucky you are, Inthegarden!! We city folk don't get so much variety. I hope you do take some pictures and share them here!

Once I was at Folsom Lake (near Sacramento) for something. From a distance I could see a really large flock of migrating geese coming towards the lake and the noise from thousands of "honks" got louder and louder! Suddenly they all, it seemed at once, alit on the lake and honked their hearts out. I thought perhaps they were celebrating another milestone in their travels south. This went on for maybe 45 minutes until, at first one, then another, and then all of them flew up and circled and made formations high above and headed south, the cacophony of honks getting further and further (or farther?) away. It was breathtaking!

I was out in one of the pastures and a flock flew over preparing for a landing. They were so low that when they flew over I could feel the power of their wings and the breeze. They were silent except for the swishing movement of their wings. It was amazing. I was told never to look up as they fly over because if they see your face they will take off. Among other reasons...
    I had a similar experience with a group of deer. I was walking back from the barn after dark and a group of deer suddenly jumped over the fence and passed in front of me. After I got over the initial fright of what could have happened, it was another amazing experience.
    Pictures are of geese in the pasture and deer in the front yard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by inthegarden; 12-30-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread