+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

  1. #17161
    Wait, what? ArchieComic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Farm
    Posts
    4,763

    Re: For animal lovers

    Mineral Ice (muscle rub) drives my cat nuts. He reacts like its catnip. I threw the tissue away that I used to apply it and he literally tried to dig it out of the garbage. For safety I removed it from the house to the outside trash. It does have a very potent smell.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

  2. #17162
    runs with scissors waywyrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    21,543

    Re: For animal lovers

    Mine too! Anything menthol-y like Icy Hot or Biofreeze has my cat flipping out. I use it on my ankle a lot and have to watch for him, he'll try and lick it all off. I can't imagine that stuff being tasty.
    ArchieComic Fan likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

  3. #17163
    Kip
    Kip is offline
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,665

    Re: For animal lovers

    Funny that your cats like the methol-y smell.

    Our cat likes bleach. As I mentioned, I can leave chicken on the counter and she has no interest in it. But if I wipe down the kitchen counters with bleach water, she's there in a flash, rubbing and rolling all over them - which kind of defeats the purpose. We've never had a cat that's responded to bleach like this, but when I googled it, it's apparently not uncommon.

    The other thing she goes crazy for is oat grass. When I plant a new batch of seeds and they start sprouting, she'll walk into the kitchen, starts sniffing and finds the grass. Then I have to move the grass to a room where I can close the door until it gets taller. I've started other seeds in the kitchen, and she's shown no interest in them. When I bring it out for her, she's so excited (jumping up for it) and happy to get it. (Which reminds me ... I need to start some more seeds.)

  4. #17164
    Go Teams! inthegarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,417

    Re: For animal lovers

    One of my cats is a mint lover too. He can get pretty obnoxious when he smells mint.

    Kip Cats are very good at hiding illness. I would start with a trip to the Vet even though he seems healthy. Especially since it is a male cat. When she takes it to the Vet, if possible, take a sample of the (rug) poop with her.
    If he gets a good check up, then some other thoughts are...If the cat was in the litter box and was scared while using it, a loud noise, unexpected visitors, etc., that could cause him to be wary of the box. Also, does the cat use the rugs when they are not at home? Has she recently cleaned the rugs? Used any type of rug freshner?
    Cats behave different when we are not around. Cats who seemed to get along while we are around, can become tormentors to each other in our absence. As they grow older and get set in their ways, they are not as tolerable of each other. I know this from my own cats. Also, he could have gotten frighten by the screen or what spook (both real (cat) and imagined) was behind it while he was in the box. He could have been using the box and the other cat jumped at him as he left or picked at him during the go.
    He could be rebelling against the other cat using 'his' box. (He is using my box...I'll go over here. Sad but true.)
    I would definitely put out some additional litter boxes in other rooms and opposite ends of the house.
    If it was a litter change issue, he might have to be retrained.
    I found when changing litter, it is impossible with some, some don't care. For the ones that care, I add a small amount of the new to the old litter and increase the new over time.
    I hope this helps.
    Kip and Brooks like this.

  5. #17165
    Kip
    Kip is offline
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,665

    Re: For animal lovers

    Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    ...

    Kip Cats are very good at hiding illness. I would start with a trip to the Vet even though he seems healthy. Especially since it is a male cat. When she takes it to the Vet, if possible, take a sample of the (rug) poop with her.
    If he gets a good check up, then some other thoughts are...If the cat was in the litter box and was scared while using it, a loud noise, unexpected visitors, etc., that could cause him to be wary of the box. Also, does the cat use the rugs when they are not at home? Has she recently cleaned the rugs? Used any type of rug freshner?
    Cats behave different when we are not around. Cats who seemed to get along while we are around, can become tormentors to each other in our absence. As they grow older and get set in their ways, they are not as tolerable of each other. I know this from my own cats. ...
    Some good thoughts. She's thinking about taking the cat to the vet. She works a lot of hours though and would prefer to take him to her old vet (about 20 miles away) who only works with cats - he's amazing. But she doesn't have time to drive there and back before or after work - she works most Saturdays too. So she may have to take him to a local vet that she doesn't like that much.

    A loud noise is definitely a possibility. About 2 months ago, they had a deck built alongside the whole length of the house, so there would have been staple guns, lumber being dropped, etc. But...the cat only does this about once a week. My daughter and her husband are gone most of the day, so most of the time it's been when they're away, but it has happened a couple of times when they've been home.

    We've always teased my daughter about this cat because she went to the pet store late one day to buy food for the two cats they had at the time (in a small studio apartment). They pet store had an adoption day that day and this cat was the only one left. He tugged at my daughter's heartstrings and she brought him home (after getting the okay from her husband). She always says this cat is the best impulse purchase she ever made.

  6. #17166
    Red Sox Nation Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,261

    Re: For animal lovers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    She's thinking about taking the cat to the vet. She works a lot of hours though and would prefer to take him to her old vet (about 20 miles away) who only works with cats - he's amazing. But she doesn't have time to drive there and back before or after work - she works most Saturdays too. So she may have to take him to a local vet that she doesn't like that much. A loud noise is definitely a possibility. About 2 months ago, they had a deck built alongside the whole length of the house, so there would have been staple guns, lumber being dropped, etc. But...the cat only does this about once a week.
    All excellent examples of why I work with animal communicators. The good ones do fine remotely. I don't have to go anywhere or schedule anything. My cats don't have the stress of unnecessary or inconclusive trips to the vets. It's been cost effective as well.

    She always says this cat is the best impulse purchase she ever made.
    Lucky kitty! ;^)

  7. #17167
    Go Teams! inthegarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,417

    Re: For animal lovers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Some good thoughts. She's thinking about taking the cat to the vet. She works a lot of hours though and would prefer to take him to her old vet (about 20 miles away) who only works with cats - he's amazing. But she doesn't have time to drive there and back before or after work - she works most Saturdays too. So she may have to take him to a local vet that she doesn't like that much.

    A loud noise is definitely a possibility. About 2 months ago, they had a deck built alongside the whole length of the house, so there would have been staple guns, lumber being dropped, etc. But...the cat only does this about once a week. My daughter and her husband are gone most of the day, so most of the time it's been when they're away, but it has happened a couple of times when they've been home.

    We've always teased my daughter about this cat because she went to the pet store late one day to buy food for the two cats they had at the time (in a small studio apartment). They pet store had an adoption day that day and this cat was the only one left. He tugged at my daughter's heartstrings and she brought him home (after getting the okay from her husband). She always says this cat is the best impulse purchase she ever made.
    Could she call her old Vet and ask if they would be willing to schedule an after hour visit? It can be hard to find a Vet that specializes in cat's, if she has found one, I would stick with them rather than subject the fellow to someone she doesn't like. Pet's can sense our apprehension.

    Your daughter and this cat have a special bond. Something she might look into as she is looking for a solution to his behavior.
    Punkin and Kip like this.

  8. #17168
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,528

    Re: For animal lovers

    After hours appointments start at $200 at my vet's office.....and they have people in that office 24 hours. I think they probably have to call the doc in from home....and they have a bunch of doctors. I only know this because I heard them tell this to another client while I was waiting to be seen. Of course, this woman also didn't seem to be a regular client; I fully believe I could get the service for less.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  9. #17169
    Go Teams! inthegarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,417

    Re: For animal lovers

    If you are a regular, most Vet's don't charge the after hour fees.
    It would be a good idea to check.
    Punkin likes this.

  10. #17170
    Kip
    Kip is offline
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,665

    Re: For animal lovers

    I will have her check about after hour fees. Or maybe she could do it on her way to work - she drives past that vet's exit every day. I could meet her there and take the cat back to her house.

    She loved that vet. One of her cats - the other one - really does not like anyone except my daughter and her husband. But this vet gets him purring like a kitten. Her cats get really stressed out by car rides, so she thought she'd try to find a closer vet, but I agree that a cat specialist is best for a situation like this. (The new vet she went to spent a lot of time trying to upsell her different services and procedures.)
    Punkin and inthegarden like this.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.