+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Love it!!!

Our cats have self-imposed kitty jail, under table legs or under bureaus. I don't get it. Time-out? Earthquake emergency training?
    In this case its "trying to get away from the bigger cat who thinks I'm his chew toy".
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Juliebelle has stripes, too, and here eyes look like they've been rimmed with eyeliner. Her biggest negative is that she is funky gassy!!!! Sooo cute, but sooo stinky!

Lola likes to chew on Juliebelle, but likes to groom my big Maine Coon, Dez.

Lola has taken to chomping on my ears.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 12-10-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We found the little monster under our house a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely no idea how he got there. None. We live in the middle of nowhere. The day we found him had been really stormy. I could hear him crying. So went out and found a spot in the underpinning where I could get him out and called for him. When he heard me calling for him he went crazy. He was crying so much. He finally found his way to me. I expected him to be wet and horrible having been caught in a storm and having to seek shelter under my house. But no. He was clean and dry. There hasn't been a mama cat anywhere around. There weren't any other kittens under there. I believe he has to be tame because as soon as he heard my voice he went insane trying to find me. During the early part of summer we had a wild mama cat try to move her kittens under my house. Those poor kittens were starving to death. But no matter what they would not come to me. Even after I caught and fed them they still would not come willingly to me. This one came right to me. He was so tiny I have no idea how he made it from wherever he was to my house without his mama. But I don't know why a domesticated cat would try to move her babies to my house. It would be quite a trek from the closest house to my house. Plus I have full grown male cats. One who had just sprayed in the house two days before this. Its a mystery but he's mine now. lol
    Punkin and Kip like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    He was so tiny I have no idea how he made it from wherever he was to my house without his mama.
    Sounds like he was dumped. However he came to be with you, he's a lucky little guy!
    Punkin, Kip, Lil Bit and 1 others like this.

Your older male cat knew he was there and sprayed.
    Punkin and Kip like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Any cat whisperers here?

My daughter has two male cats - one 5 years old and one 4 years old. She's had them both since they were kittens. They get along well with each other and are affectionate to my daughter and her husband, but wary of strangers. The cats have two cat boxes that are cleaned daily (plus extra poo removal when required).

About 2 months ago, the younger cat started pooping occasionally in one specific spot on the dining room rug and on the bath mat in the downstairs bathroom. We tried to think of changes that had occurred and came up with three: 1) they changed from Feline Pine litter to another brand of pine pellets; 2) they bought a new brand of treats; and they had put up a little 2-ft high screen in front of the litter boxes.

They went back to Feline Pine, stopped the treats, and removed the screen, but the cat still poops in those two spots once or twice a week.

The cat doesn't seem to have any difficulty going to the bathroom, and the dining room rug is only about 10 ft from the litter box, so it's not like the litter boxes aren't easy to get to. The cat's behavior is no different than before except for this.

I just suggested that they put another litter box in the downstairs bathroom to see if the cat uses it instead of the bath mat.

Any other ideas? My daughter is considering taking the cat to the vet, but it seems more likely that it's some sort of behavioral issue -- if only we could figure out what it is.

Kip, definitely try adding litter boxes where he has been pooping (for now probably adding one to the downstairs bathroom will be easier than the dining room, LOL).

You didn't say whether the stools are completely normal. One reason cats stop using litterboxes is pain in eliminating. They tend to associate it with the litterbox. This often happens with urinary tract issues. Stools are most often off because of species inappropriate food (dry, grains, fish or some other allergen). Cats are very susceptible to inflammatory bowel problems. Unless the vet understands what cats need to eat, and most vets don't seem to, the vet may not be much help if this is the issue.

I always start by working with an animal communicator. Not sure if that is what you meant by a cat whisperer. There is no downside to asking the cat what is going on, and the good communicators can also work remotely, no need to find someone in your area. If strictly behavioral, you can guess and guess and still not get it right. If health related he can tell you what the symptoms are. There may pain or some other characteristic discomfort.

Important to try to resolve this before it becomes too establish a routine because that will make it harder.
    Kip likes this.

The only time we ran into this was with an older cat. She suddenly would not use the cat box, had very loose stools, and we had to put out puppy potty pads all about. When I realized that DH was bringing a cup of milk to bed every night and I caught the cat helping herself in the middle of the night I knew just what was wrong. I made him switch to covered cups with a straw (and from 2% to fat free for his health) that the problem was solved. Unfortunately we spent over $400 in vet fees for tests before the problem was found because she never went near the milk when someone was watching.
    Kip likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Kip, definitely try adding litter boxes where he has been pooping (for now probably adding one to the downstairs bathroom will be easier than the dining room, LOL).

You didn't say whether the stools are completely normal. One reason cats stop using litterboxes is pain in eliminating. They tend to associate it with the litterbox...
    Well, having a litter box on the spot in the dining room might be preferable to stepping in a "deposit" again! The two litterboxes are in their living room - it's a small house with a open concept living, dining, kitchen area, so it's really not far from the litter boxes to the dining room rug.

I figure it's probably not an issue of the cat having to go urgently because if that were the case, you'd expect that he'd poop in more than just those too places.

I had read that cats could associate elimination pain with the litter box, but the stools look normal and my daughter says the cat doesn't seem to be straining when pooping.

Also, the cat only does this every 7-10 days or so.

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    The only time we ran into this was with an older cat. She suddenly would not use the cat box, had very loose stools, and we had to put out puppy potty pads all about. When I realized that DH was bringing a cup of milk to bed every night and I caught the cat helping herself in the middle of the night I knew just what was wrong. I made him switch to covered cups with a straw (and from 2% to fat free for his health) that the problem was solved. Unfortunately we spent over $400 in vet fees for tests before the problem was found because she never went near the milk when someone was watching.
    LOL. I'll ask them if the cat is sneaking milk. You never know. Our cat has very little interest in our food (except for egg yolks!). I can leave chicken on the counter and she won't touch it. But the other day, I found her on the counter licking at some garlic butter I had made (and it was strong!).

+ Reply to Thread