+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    We moved recently into a new neighborhood and there are only two other houses on my street. Construction hasn't begun on any others yet so there are lots of empty lots and wooded areas. My husband has seen a couple of mice in the garage(not sure how he knows it's not the same one ). I'm sure that this will be a continual problem because of the lots/construction. So, we're considering getting a cat. My daughter has been bugging us for one anyway. I'm more of a dog person but had an inside cat several years ago. I hated cleaning the litter box and don't want to deal with one again. I'm a little worried that if we get a cat and let it roam freely that it won't be around much...doing his mouse-catching duties. Any suggestions from you cat people out there? I'm clueless as to how I'd get a cat to stick around!
    Mr. Rattus and I are "freedom for the cats" type people whose cats do tend to stick around the house. While this will unfortunately does still entail some box cleaning (clumping litter is the best), how we raise our cats is to keep them completely inside for, say, the first six months, then get them used to the outdoors by taking them out in the backyard on harness and leash. During this period, the boys have become addicted to the very healthy but apparently tasty dental care treats. Once they start going outdoors on their own, we call them in at 8:30 every night for treats - you have never seen a cat run so fast. We then shut the house down so they are in for the night. It really is best if you keep them indoors at night as that is when most cat related troubles occur. Not to worry, I still find Harvey killing mice (and *shudder* the occasional rat) in the driveway during the day so they are getting the job done. Good luck training your boy(s) and feel free to ask me any questions.

ETA: Forgot the most important thing - spay or neuter your pets. Everybody, even them, is happier in the long run and it does make them a bit more home-bodyish.
    Last edited by Rattus; 01-21-2006 at 01:12 PM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fanatic Titans Champion
    Growing up we had a cat named Lucifer who was an outside cat during the day but indoor at night. Two things would bring him in one was the rattling of tin foil(the cover for his wet food) or the sound of the electric can opener. With either of those two sound he and our dog would come running even if he was already in the house!LOL

Just got back from Raz's first visit to the vet and he impressed me, no growling or hissing just made himself at home. He let the vet and the vet assistant poke, prod and even received a needle which I don't think he felt thru the thermal lining he has 13.5 lbs and he is approx 1.5 to 2 years old so he is still growing!

This is good new as I haven't had a cat with claws in awhile so I have to try and clip his. I scanned the previous posts but will read more thoroughly to figure out how. Maybe he won't use me as a scratching post while I do it

I adopted Raz from an agency that rescues cats that are in shelters that are going to be euthenised. They are put in foster homes until they are adopted. They have a no kill policy so a cat could live in their foster home their entire life. Raz was with his foster mom since April of last year which seems fitting.

I was told that Raz didn't like other cats but he didn't react to the resident vet cat that was roaming around so bring Mr Tootles over!. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chaserla View Post
    Growing up we had a cat named Lucifer who was an outside cat during the day but indoor at night. Two things would bring him in one was the rattling of tin foil(the cover for his wet food) or the sound of the electric can opener. With either of those two sound he and our dog would come running even if he was already in the house!LOL

Just got back from Raz's first visit to the vet and he impressed me, no growling or hissing just made himself at home. He let the vet and the vet assistant poke, prod and even received a needle which I don't think he felt thru the thermal lining he has 13.5 lbs and he is approx 1.5 to 2 years old so he is still growing!

This is good new as I haven't had a cat with claws in awhile so I have to try and clip his. I scanned the previous posts but will read more thoroughly to figure out how. Maybe he won't use me as a scratching post while I do it

I adopted Raz from an agency that rescues cats that are in shelters that are going to be euthenised. They are put in foster homes until they are adopted. They have a no kill policy so a cat could live in their foster home their entire life. Raz was with his foster mom since April of last year which seems fitting.

I was told that Raz didn't like other cats but he didn't react to the resident vet cat that was roaming around so bring Mr Tootles over!. LOL
    All very good news. As for the claws - . Do it under a strong light, if you look at the claws, you'll see the pink/red of the quick which contains blood vessel, do not go beyond that. I do joey & monas backs every other week, just the very tip.

http://www.penmarric.ns.ca/catcare/common/clipclaws.htm

This link is the best I've found to date.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by chaserla View Post
    Thanks for the invite...he'll be right over . Miss Gracie would like to play but she's a little tiny girl.

See Gabriel's post for nails. I have found the scissor-like clippers better than the hole-punch type that smash the nail up against a bar. Easier and faster to use. The tricky part is not to get their little fur that sticks out of their toes in the clipper! I also discovered that if you massage their paws and toes in your regular grooming routine, they get used to having them touched and don't always relate it to clipping time.

Have a couple of scratching posts around your home. We cover mine with cheap carpet samples and change them as they wear. Also, the cardboard box scratchers you can get at a pet store work well, particularly if you sprinkle a bit of catnip in it.

lildago YAY Kitties! I keep my indoors and on a 20ft leash when outside in my yard. It's the law up here. Also keeps them safer and healthier. Cats are smart, so you can train them by shaking a can of treats to get them to come inside. Along with a whistle and a Here Kitty Kitty yoddle, they'll soon connect it to yummy treats and time to be in for the night. Like Rattus said.

Cleaning a litterbox is the not the highlight of having a cat, but I think it's way better than doing diapers, or picking up poop in the yard and off your shoe! Use the clumping stuff and do it daily when you are taking out your kitchen garbage. It stays cleaner, they use it more, and doesn't get messed up from them digging around so much. Try to get a low-dusty kind.

Thanks for writing in to "Ask Miss Kitty"! I should have my own column.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Cleaning litter box is so routine for me. In the AM when I wake up, then before I go to work if needed, then when I get home if needed, then later. Also I MUST change the litter and clean the box(with a mild dish detergent, because disinfectants can turn kitty away or even cause some allergic reactions) at LEAST three to four times a week, or Joey comes to the living room and squats where I can him as if he needs to pee. (I'm surprised he doesn't run around trying to grab himself.)
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Our kitten gets in his litter box, it has a lid on it, and sounds like he's digging to China or something. I bought clumping kind of litter but it still smells after he goes, even with the lid on the box. What brand would any of you recommend that clumps well and also helps with odors? For the record, I make my husband do the litter box since he's the one that decided we needed a cat. And for a kitten, he sure goes a lot. I also put those plastic liners in it to help with cleaning. And I have one of those mats right outside his box so he can "wipe his paws" as he comes out. I don't dislike cats, I just dislike litter boxes and the destruction cats cause when they decide to rearrange knick knacks and so forth.

He was brought home by my husband to be an outside cat to help with rodents in the area but it's too cold for him to be out right now and I think he's still too young so he's acclimating to the house. But now he's exploring and knocking stuff over and even playing in the bathtub and I'm ready to wring his neck . He has a scratch post but doesn't even acknowledge it. I got one with toy mice hanging down but he just passes it by. He better use it because if I come home and find scratches on the couch he's outta here! I guess I need to get some catnip spray or something and put it on the post. Any recommendations on that? I bought that spray that is a no chew type of stuff and have sprayed it on the couches but it doesn't keep him off the furniture so I don't know if it's even effective enough to keep him from scratching if he decides to.

I do touch his paws but then he thinks I want to play and he winds up scratching me. I think I'll probably pass on the claw snipping. Is that something I can take him to a groomer and have done?

I also plan to neuter him and have all the shots he can get that will help him when he does spend time outside. I figure he can go out during the day when it gets warmer and then come in at night. We also have a dog door but he doesn't know about it yet. He also terrorizes my dog and runs him off from all his favorite spots. For a small cat he sure has taken over like he owns the place, and he's learned where we sleep and in the morning I wake up and see him curled up next to one of us and then I realize he has me hooked
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 01-21-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Our kitten gets in his litter box, it has a lid on it, and sounds like he's digging to China or something.
    My guys do that too. Even in an empty gift box.

I use the generic litter at Canadian Tire: unscented, clumping, 99% dust free in the purple bag. I don't have lids on the litter boxes. That keeps the dust inside for the kitts to breathe in which I don't think is good. Mine is at the bottom of the stairs so I can open a door or window and fresh air freshens up the place. Keeping the box clean certainly helps.

I believe it's better to distract a cat TO something than away from something. So using catnip spray on a post would be better. Also, try getting some FELAWAY from the cat store. It helps ease any distress and calms them down well. Your dog may benefit as well. You can buy a plug in type or a spray. It helped my household when I introduced Tootles to Gracie.

He sounds like a kitten, so he will be everywhere, just like a kitten, including the bath tub. Tootles, is two, and still is fascinated with crawling into the dishwasher or the oven if the door happens to be open for a second.

When you get him neutered, ask the vet to clip his claws as well. It's also a good time to clean teeth if they need to be done.

For a small cat he sure has taken over like he owns the place, and he's learned where we sleep and in the morning I wake up and see him curled up next to one of us and then I realize he has me hooked
    What a great kitty! BTW, he does own the place. Didn't you know ...that what cats do! ENJOY
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

How do you all take care of your pets' teeth? I just had my pug's teeth cleaned by the vet. She said they were pretty bad. I don't want to give him Greenies because I have heard that they can choke on them. What else would help prevent tartar/plaque besides brushing his teeth myself? I am going to take him in once a year to get the non-anesthesia cleaning from now on.

And I have one of those mats right outside his box so he can "wipe his paws" as he comes out.
    I have the same thing, but usually what ends up happening, Mona gets out of the box and walks away just shaking her paws. *watch daddy run for the dustbuster*
    But now he's exploring and knocking stuff over and even playing in the bathtub and I'm ready to wring his neck . He has a scratch post but doesn't even acknowledge it. I got one with toy mice hanging down but he just passes it by.
    toy mouse hahaha , I'd rather have a paper grocery sack or a milk jug ring....

For a small cat he sure has taken over like he owns the place, and he's learned where we sleep and in the morning I wake up and see him curled up next to one of us and then I realize he has me hooked
    And this is the key point: Remember Dogs have masters, cats have STAFF!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. He really is something else. He runs around with a mad look on his face and chases imaginary (at least I hope they are) things. Sometimes I think he might be a little off in the head but then he calms down and finds something else to do that isn't as frenetic. I've never had a kitten as an adult so I don't remember much from when we had one when I was a kid. Each day is a new experience

+ Reply to Thread