+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1384Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

hi all, not sure if this is the thread i first posted about the stray cat i named ruby. i have been feeding her for about three weeks now, she's maybe 3 months old. she won't let us near her. some suggested a cat bed with a blanket we use, so she can get use to our smell. we put one out before we left for our christmas holiday. we just returned today. the food is gone, and the cat bed has long white hairs in it, that i sure hope are hers, but i have not seen her yet. others suggested a live trap. i am thinking of doing this. but i have a new question. we live on private owned land that is part of a national forest. housed are few and far between. these cats are born in the forest by cats that have probably had zero conntact with people. sometimes you will see one come out of the woods to sniff around a meadow, but if they see you, they bolt. is it possible to tame a cat like this? or should i just leave ruby alone? she is already terribly skittish, she won't come near the house if we are outside, and if she's eating the food on the deck she'll take off into the woods if we come near the patio doors. my husband says these cats can fend for themselves, but i have fallen in love with her. it's so cold out. the bears are sleeping, but the wolves are not. i'm so worried about her. anyone have experience with wild cats? can they be trained to be inside cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    Here's a picture of the foster 'mugging' for the camera.
    Awwww What a precocious little kitty! So very nice of you to foster our furry friends. I couldn't do it. I'd keep them all.

Julitta Thanks for the update on Ruby! As you know, cats only do what cats only want to do. I think that if Ruby is eating food out of your dish and possibly sleeping in the bed you made for her, it is a very good sign that she is beginning to trust you. And that she is hungry and not able to fend for herself. She sounds like a feral cat, and sometimes it is possible for them to integrate into society. But they have a will of their own and survival instincts will prevail.

I would continue with your kind efforts but not expect for her to calmly come into the house. She will be very scared, timid, and extremely cautious. But if you let her snoop around leaving her free to exit at any time, her confidence in the safety of your home may actually come to pass. She's already been able to come up to the house and deck without trauma. I would continue in this fashion.

I'm glad you've fallen in love with her . But she will be the one who decides how and when she will let you see her, touch her, or check out your warm and comfy digs.

Keep us posted!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by JenTheSurvivah! View Post
    Count me in as another dog lover!

I have two miniature schnauzers named Kahlua (She's the sweet, shy, "princess" of the family) and Monty (Full name Charles Montgomery Burns. To call him a spotlight hog is a huge understatement. Everytime you pet Kahlua, he will immediately butt her out of the way and roll onto his back hoping for a bellyrub or howl loudly).
    Aww, your story is so similar to mine. I had two miniature schnauzers - one of them recently died from mast cell cancer (not uncommon in min schnauzers and some other breeds). She would have been 12 in July. My female was my little baby, she was always in whatever room I was in. I took her passing pretty hard but I didn't actually have to put her down so I think I felt better that she was with us when she passed. It was the weekend and I would have taken her to the vet the next day because I didn't want to see her suffer but she passed before I could take her. We lost another pet, a Shar-pei to cancer several years ago. We had to put him down and I was unable to talk for weeks without breaking down. I know some people keep the same breeds but I have this thing that once you have a great dog in one breed, that I just can't have that breed again. After her son, I won't get another min shnauzer, if even anymore dogs for a long time. It's so hard when you lose them that I don't know if I can keep doing it.

We bred her several years ago and kept her puppy. She only had two and one of them didn't survive so we didn't have the heart to sell the other. Well the male became my husband's dog - going wherever he goes. He seems to be a little more needy now that his mom is gone. I don't think he understands why she isn't around although I've always tried to believe that animals have a sixth sense and can telecommunicate with each other and so forth and maybe he knew she was sick. Maybe he is just expressing his sadness.

He always stole the attention from her too. If you called her to be petted, he had to come over too. He will push his head under your hand and demand to be touched. We also recently got a kitten, before we knew the other dog was sick. The kitten is a pain, he also demands attention and harrasses the dog too. He kicks him out of his favorite spots and chases him around. At least he keeps us entertained during this sad transitional time.

My Public Service Announcement - I urge all dog owners to google, or whatever search engine you use, "mast cell cancer" so that you will know what signs to look for and what breeds are susceptible. She did have earlier signs but I didn't notice them until it was too late. Now I'm checking over her son so that I can keep an eye on any changes in his skin. Sometimes there isn't much you can do, be it money reasons or whatever, but keeping them comfortable and giving them all your love during illness is what matters most.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to talk about it and I was finally ready I guess. Thanks for "listening".
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 01-19-2006 at 08:47 AM.

FORT Fanatic
    I have been a lurker in the this topic for the last 8 months. I found you guys just when my little lady of 16 years Sasha was diagnosed with lung cancer. I had to put her down on April 1st. She was black on top, white on the chest and underbelly with a white moustache. She looked like she was smiling all the time. She was shyest little thing I had ever come across but in time I earned her trust, she and I became best of friends. Guests didn't believe me when I said I had a cat as she would disappear underneath her bed(my bed), hide there until they left and if I tried to show her off to people she would just hiss and growl at them. My brother and sister-in-law lived with me for 2 weeks while they were having renovations done and they never saw her. She would hide under the bed till they went to bed and would then come out to me. To this day my brother, I don't think my brother believes she existed. I never asked him why I would have a litter box if I didn't have cat, some things you just don't want to know. But for some unknown reason she did liked my mother who Sasha allowed to pet her once. I think my mother bribed her with food or guilted into it. I could go on but I just wanted say a big Thank you to everyone as reading your posts helped with dealing my loss.

I am also coming out of lurking to share some good news. I have a new roommate, Raz. I go him about 2 weeks ago and we adjusting quite well. He owns the place and he thinks he makes the perfect centre piece for my dining room table which has become his favourite place to roost.

He is not camera shy! Loves to be the centre of attention.

chaserla, I'm so sorry about your loss. I've had three of my guys pass away over the past six years and it is heart-rending. I can completely picture Sasha's disappearing act. Our Salope, who was tiny and cute and flirtatious and was sadly the first to pass one, did the same thing when kids came to the house. I have no idea why since we had her since she was six weeks old and to the best of my knowledge had never met a kid. Just excellent survival instincts, I guess.

But your new guy, Raz, is spectactular, and I love a cat who loves the camera. Looks like he's going to need a LOT of brushing, though.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Here is a picture of my big baby. His name is Rupert Rollo, but he goes by Rollo. He is seated on the new nursery chair next to my soon to be son's giraffe. I think he is excited about the new baby...or not
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Here comes Avery! April 10, 2006

Chaserla I'm so sorry about your wonderful kitty Sasha. . It's always tragic to lose a furry friend. I know of 2 other cats who hide under beds like she did. One came from a crack house and the other was abused. It took a lot before either would come out in the open when "mom" wasn't there.

You have RAZ-a-mattaz! What a BE-U-TIFUL cat. Oooo. My Mr. Tootles wants to come and play. He looks likes the same size and also makes a striking centrepiece. How old is Raz? Did you get him from a shelter?

Cahalanmac First, that's hard to say. Second. Rollo is sooooo cute! Maybe he's just keeping the blankey warm for your new baby! What a sweet boy.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

We moved recently into a new neighborhood and there are only two other houses on my street. Construction hasn't begun on any others yet so there are lots of empty lots and wooded areas. My husband has seen a couple of mice in the garage(not sure how he knows it's not the same one ). I'm sure that this will be a continual problem because of the lots/construction. So, we're considering getting a cat. My daughter has been bugging us for one anyway. I'm more of a dog person but had an inside cat several years ago. I hated cleaning the litter box and don't want to deal with one again. I'm a little worried that if we get a cat and let it roam freely that it won't be around much...doing his mouse-catching duties. Any suggestions from you cat people out there? I'm clueless as to how I'd get a cat to stick around!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I'm the wrong one to ask, as I feel cats should not roam except inside.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

chaserla - what a beautiful kitty!! : He looks like a baby lion.

+ Reply to Thread