+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I had to take the picture so faraway with my zoom lens. I was glad they turned out. He moves so fast, I couldn't wait until I got to the barn or he would be gone. Sometimes around dusk, he will stretch out along the ridgeline and sleep. His sister likes to walk along the 2" side of the 2x4 truss braces inside the barn roof. Their balance amazes me.
    Punkin and Sticker like this.

Oh those photos and the "barnwatcher" cats are magnificent
    inthegarden likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I learned, from the Humane Society site, that barn cats are called "working cats" as opposed to pets. Interesting!
    Punkin likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I learned, from the Humane Society site, that barn cats are called "working cats" as opposed to pets. Interesting!
    First I've ever heard that too. See here:

Working Cats will work for (cat) food! : Asheville Humane Society
    Punkin likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    They sure are!
    Our no kill shelter receives grants for free spay and neuter clinics for feral cats. They always ask if the people want to keep the cats or surrender them. The ones that are surrendered are put into the "working cat" area and are adopted out as barn cats. During the time when there is no grant money, they will neuter/spay them for $25, clip their ear to identify them as "fixed" and give them a rabies shot.
    Punkin likes this.

I, evidently, adopted a feral "working cat", Miss Celie, who has the notch in her ear, but has adjusted to being a pet. I didn't learn about the working cats until years after I adopted her. She is not a real fan of being held, but does like to be talked to, petted, and demanding affection from me...she is downright pushy, actually. And she is a screamer when the other cats try to start something with her, but quiet, otherwise. If there's any screaming in the house I, automatically, know who it is and that NOTHING is really happening. She does enjoy skulking about in the windows and stomping about on my keyboard.

Demon-Brat Lola has shown me, today, that she can climb up my brick wall surrounding my fireplace.
    She gets a kick out of chasing and harassing a screaming Miss Celie. Miss Celie ducks into the nearest available box. This afternoon, they'll be laying on the ottoman in front of the front window together, just chilling out acting like they have some sense.....for hours.
    Punkin likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I wanted to share a few animal pictures if nobody minds. These first 2 are my dog and a deer we had in yard last winter.

Punkin, shyra, just1paul and 1 others like this.

This picture is of the best looking turkey I have ever seen. The lady that sold us our Guinea birds has this turkey. It is amazing.

Last edited by Sticker; 10-11-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Is it just me, or does that turkey look like he's just a bit full of himself?? He has that look, AND HE SHOULD! He is ridiculously handsome!

Puppy-doodle is waaay precious!

Cool deer!
    Punkin, just1paul and Sticker like this.

Cool pictures, Sticker!
    Sticker likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread