+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

I love the orange peel smell, but I don't know about sleeping with it.

(By the way, I was kidding about the foil hat with orange peels.)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Have you tried talking to her? I'm not kidding! Catch her in a calm moment and cuddle her and tell her that running over your head is stressful for you. I swear they understand more than we think they do.
    This really does work. I use this on my wild boy.
    Also, we have a good running playtime about an hour before bedtime (mine) and he wears himself out.

I've notice that he "acts out" if something is bothering him. If I look around I can usually figure out what the problem is. He has a difficult time with any type of change. weather, moved furniture, people coming or going, loud voices.
    ...and...he is the Night Watchman.

phroshay Lola will grow out of it. She sounds like she needs a lot of "me" time. It could be after effects from her baby days with or without her mom. She was sick and tiny, and maybe she didn't receive as much attention as she needed. It is hard to know about what she experienced before you adopted her. She is safe now and getting used to the good life with you.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Lola even drives the other gurls crazy. They can only take a little of her over the top youthful exuberance before they have to leave the area. As you can imagine, she gets a lot of my attention and snuggle time. I adopted her at the same time as Juliebelle, they are just about the same age and are very close.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I have hand cream with a STRONG orange oil component. I don't use it often because the smell is so strong.
    This sound like an essential oil. If so, it's toxic to cats because they can't easily metabolize it, which they will have to do if they inhale it. I don't allow any essential oils in my home for this reason.

We have some neighborhood cats who thought behind all the neighborhood's bushes were guest litter boxes. Previously I had some bushes ... and I put orange peels out there and it worked. I hope that didn't hurt the cats.

I didn't like the cats there for some obvious reasons ... but also because they would wait there for birds and I felt bad for the birds too.

The other thing is if the headboard and other furniture is wood ... don't they make orange scented cleaners and polishes? If that would also be toxic ... forget I said it.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

This is a newspaper column from a small city paper and I thought it was nice and some food for thought. Warning it's kind of long.

Epiphanies
    A Prayer For Dorothy

Friday, October 4, 2013 2:10 pm
    By Rev. Dr. William G. Grice, III |

The little girl wearing a red plaid dress patiently waited for me to finish a conversation with the music director.
    Sunday morning worship had finished for the week. The congregation had faithfully marched forth into the fellowship hall for cookies, coffee, and conversations. I was standing in the sanctuary near the pulpit engaged in a discussion about next week’s service. Judging by the girl’s height and appearance, I guessed she might have been seven or 8 years old.

When I finished my “adult” conversation, I looked at the little girl and smiled. “Hello,” I said, “I’m Pastor Grice.”
    “I’m Maria,” she said as she extended her hand to shake mine.
    “How are you today?” I asked.
    “Fine,” she said. “Thank you for praying for Dorothy this morning.”
    Dorothy? It took a second for me to register what the girl had just said. Then I remembered: yes, Dorothy.
    Filling in as a guest minister to preach and lead worship during September, I did not have many opportunities to get to know each member of the congregation. Other than shaking hands, offering greetings of “Good Morning” and “Thanks for being here today,” and exchanging the pleasantries people who are more strangers than even acquaintances exchange with one another, I had few opportunities or shared experiences to come to know the members and worshippers on a personal level. That’s how it is with “substitute clergy” and “pastoral temps.”
    The few people I knew by name included the man from the church’s worship committee who contacted me to lead Sunday services, the music director, and the secretary. These three were the people I’d work with, although I did meet and remember the names of several parishioners and those who served as liturgists to read scripture and the everlastingly valuable and eternally inspiring church announcements. Now I knew Maria.
    “Thank you for writing about Dorothy on the prayer card the usher handed to me during the service,” I said. “I’m sorry she passed away. How are you feeling?”
    “I’m OK,” Maria said.
    “I know how hard it is to lose those we love. Did you know her for a long time?” I asked, and then realized that was kind of a dumb question to ask a 7 or 8 year old.
    “All my life,” she answered, and added, “But she was very old; and she’d been pretty sick.”
    I nodded my head. Then I asked, “What was Dorothy?”
    “Just an old mutt.”
    “I had one like that when I grew up,” I said. “His name was Skipper. My folks got him about a year before I was born. I grew up with him. I was 16 when Skipper died and I still remember how hard I cried.”
    “I cried, too,” Maria said, “but I’m better now.”
    “That’s good. Do you think you’ll get another dog?”
    “Not right away. My mother said this isn’t a good time for us to have a dog.”
    “Do you have other pets at home?”
    “Fish,” she said.
    “Fish are nice,” I said, “but don’t take them out of the water to play with them. And certainly don’t take them for a walk. I heard fish can’t catch a tennis ball very well; do you think that’s true?”
    Maria giggled. “Thank you,” she said with a big smile. “Thank you for praying for Dorothy.”
    “You’re welcome, Maria,” I responded as the girl turned and hurried along the center aisle to exit the sanctuary.
    Family pets are special creatures. They provide affection, entertainment, friendship, and love. Pets are near and dear to their owners, and hold a special place in their hearts. And when a pet passes away we feel the loss. We miss their companionship of being around or just being underfoot. We miss the routines of feeding them, going outdoors for a walk, or appreciating how they greet us when we return home from work or shopping.
    As Maria’s prayer card read: “Pray for Dorothy, my dog, who died and went to heaven.” With our pets as with people who fill our lives we genuinely and sincerely hope our pets are in a happier, better place, perhaps even a place where we’ll have the opportunity to be together again.
    The hope---and with it, the prayer---that we’ll be together with loved ones and creatures great and small seems to be embedded in the soul nearly everybody’s DNA, even that of a little girl who faced the passing of her old dog. “Good-bye, Dorothy, until we meet again in Heaven.”

A Prayer For Dorothy - Journal & Topics Newspapers Online: Opinion
    Photobabe likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    We have some neighborhood cats who thought behind all the neighborhood's bushes were guest litter boxes. Previously I had some bushes ... and I put orange peels out there and it worked. I hope that didn't hurt the cats.

The other thing is if the headboard and other furniture is wood ... don't they make orange scented cleaners and polishes? If that would also be toxic ... forget I said it.
    Outdoors where there is plenty of ventilation and the cats can get away from it, it's unlikely to be a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. Indoors it's an issue. Cats can't handle a lot of stuff that humans and dogs manage easily.

Of course, Lola might figure out she can just hold her breath as she goes saying across Shay's head for the millionth time. ;^)

Each and every time I see Lola's name here ... Copacabana starts looping in my head!

That cat has us all enthralled.
    Hyper, inthegarden and AZChristian like this.

Mohandas Gandhi

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I just got back from the tattoo parlor. As Bryan was doing the tat, he said, "A lot of pet lovers feel they have closure when they get a memorial tattoo for a beloved pet." I fully agree. Now Summer will be with me whenever and wherever I walk. It's on the outside of my left ankle. I love it!

Tat.jpg
    pikachu, Brooks, Hyper and 1 others like this.

CCL

Love it, AZChristian.
    AZChristian likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread