+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1268Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Regular

Re: For animal lovers

Thank you. I truly appreciate it.

As I've been sitting here remembering, another favorite target of Sheba's was my stomach or chest (yep, hitting right on the girly parts). Ex-boy friend thought my waking up whooshing out air was very funny. Actually I did too.

The good news is I'm moving to a new apartment with my son. He took my parent's little dog after my father passed. So I'll soon have a doggie love back in my life.

Klyn... wishing you comfort following your loss of sweet Mr. Melvin.
    Also ... condolences on the loss of your father.

It sounds like the co-habitating with your son and little doggie love ... are the perfect salve to help heal.

As you said all our fur babies are racing and running around Rainbow Bridge as they wait for us.

hugs
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

A pet sitting client of mine had 2 dogs. Last spring her 13 year old Golden passed away after a brief illness. Her other dog is also a large breed dog and is now 15, but pretty spry for an old girl. The thing is, my client still spends a LOT of time crying for the Golden. She can't seem to get over it. Now she tells me her vet has a pet bereavement group and she is thinking about attending. She asked for my opinion and I gave an evasive answer, basically saying something like "if you think it will help.." but, actually, I find it weird. Anyone here have any thoughts on this? Has anyone ever attended such a group?
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

She'll get over her baby's passing when she does. Nobody can predict her time frame, and she shouldn't worry about what other people think. We all know her Golden was a beloved family member. If she feels that group will help her, I think she should attend. She'll figure out if that is where she belongs or not. It's a very personal matter. I get it. We should try not to judge what she may feel the need to do.....as long as they are not trying to take tons of money from her that she cannot afford. JMHO.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Klyn View Post
    My sweet Mr. Melvin passed away today. He was a 17yr. old shorkie. I knew he would be passing soon and I know he is now running again and happy, but it still hurts. My house is so quiet!
    (((Klyn))) I'm so sorry for your loss. Three years ago we put down a very special kitty, the only pet at the time. The overwhelming silence was crushing.

17 is such a grand old age. They only make it that far with a great deal of love. I wish you peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post

A pet sitting client of mine had 2 dogs. Last spring her 13 year old Golden passed away after a brief illness. Her other dog is also a large breed dog and is now 15, but pretty spry for an old girl. The thing is, my client still spends a LOT of time crying for the Golden. She can't seem to get over it. Now she tells me her vet has a pet bereavement group and she is thinking about attending. She asked for my opinion and I gave an evasive answer, basically saying something like "if you think it will help.." but, actually, I find it weird. Anyone here have any thoughts on this? Has anyone ever attended such a group?
    She will need to try the group to determine if it is any help ... and it is her decision. If there is a charge to participate in the pet bereavement group I would not recommend it.

I don't know what her situation or circumstances are but she has lost one dog and the other dog is older so perhaps there is some worry about the future making things even harder. ... Personally I think having a younger dog around might help. When I lost my beloved 15 1/2 year old ... my little currently 12 yr old baby dog was SO much help and comfort. Before that ... my vet once even gave me a "loaner dog" . But that is a story for another day.
    Now that my little girl is getting older and has some health problems ... I am thinking about possible companionship for her? I think a small young adult would be perfect ... but sometimes pets find and pick you and not the reverse.

Anyway ... again that is just my personal opinion and everyone deals with this in their own way.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Klyn I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have found comfort in reading our posts. It does help to find a safe place to express your grief. Be sure to check in the animal thread often and share. I would like to read your stories too.

Photobabe Like everyone has said if its free, why not go and see if it helps.

I've had all of you when my beloveds passed away. It has helped me.

I haven't posted about my babies in a while. I kept a brother and sister from a litter this summer. The dynamics of siblings and mother are incredible! They rough house with each other and go to her for comfort if things go too far. Any time she has been out and comes back in, she vocalizes and they stop whatever they're doing and run to her. She still lets them nurse sometimes (not often) and that's when they purr loud enough to bring down the house. The girl is dominant and the boy laid back, so I'm always mixing up my pronouns when referring to them ("her", "him"). Now that it's getting colder, I often wake up to find all 3 of them curled around me. When I get home from work and let them know I'm in the house, they come running to me to be picked up for a quick snuggle then want to be fed. So even though I live alone, it feels like a full house.
    Brooks and just1paul like this.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Regular

I want to thank everyone for all their kind words and hugs. It really helps.

I have so many stories about Melvin & Bella. It's been three years since my Dad passed away. Mom had passed 14 months before him. Melvin was getting up there in age so I got Bella about a month after Mom died. They had been married 63 years. I told Bella her job was to make my dad laugh. And she did, very much. A lot. She was one of those clownish doxies. Her favorite time was during the dinner prayer time. I ate with my dad every night after work. During prayer either a toy was put in my lap or we would look up after the prayer and there she was sitting in a dining table chair looking over the table top, happy as could be. She would tumble and play with dad's toy fox terrier like crazy. Melvin would just give me this really baleful look like "really mom, you gonna let her get away with THAT! She's nuts." Yeah Melvin, you were just as nuts in your younger days.

He was so much older than her, but, many times I caught them cuddling together. Especially on cold days or during thunderstorms.

We moved from 5 acres in the country, with my parents house on the same property, to a downtown Dallas loft apartment. Melvin's crazy running days were over. Bella could not understand that when I came home from work (half a mile drive as opposed to 45 miles) she could not run out the door. Picture a very short 50ish lady chasing a long hair mini-doxie around the halls and doggie walk area of the apartments...trying to whisper shout..."get back in the house NOW". When I get her back inside I get "the look" from Melvin.
    Last edited by Klyn; 09-27-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    inthegarden likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You have memories that even I can see! How lovely for you. Thanks for sharing!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread