+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1269Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Can I blame it on the full moon? Lately our calico girl Dora is driving everyone nuts by staring at the ceiling in the family room in the evening. Her orange tabby brother TJ assumes Dora would never lie about something like that and hes obsessed with finding what shes fixated on. Yeah, we dont see it either.
    Dora is now getting extra rations. Poor girl, I hope her neck isn't strained. Turned out there were mice up there, where the walls meet the open-ceiling rafters and there's a minor ledge circling the room. Hubby finally saw one scurrying along. We've caught 3 so far in live traps. I'm having fun releasing them in side yards of neighbors I don't like.
    just1paul and Hyper like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You know, just last night, I was thinking at how mortified I would be if somebody told me they saw a mouse scurry across my floor! When I lived in a Victorian house, we had "scurries", and my Samantha was in hog heaven tracking them down and leaving their de-furred, naked, dead bodies in the middle of the hallways. Can you say, "FREAKOUT!!"
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We're mortified that we have two young, healthy, fleet-footed, sharp-eyed kitties and yet have mice. TJ has demonstrated he's quite capable of catching mice outside, even when hampered by a 6 foot leash. He's even caught a couple chipmunks that way.

I don't know if any are scurrying across the floor, we'll have to move the traps around. So far it's just in a winterized porch. At least we hope so, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    We're mortified that we have two young, healthy, fleet-footed, sharp-eyed kitties and yet have mice. TJ has demonstrated he's quite capable of catching mice outside, even when hampered by a 6 foot leash. He's even caught a couple chipmunks that way.

I don't know if any are scurrying across the floor, we'll have to move the traps around. So far it's just in a winterized porch. At least we hope so, LOL.
    I don't like any small critters that scurry. Also can't a kitty get snapped by a trap? Ouch!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Also can't a kitty get snapped by a trap? Ouch!
    These are tiny hava-heart style live traps. When it's time to check the floor I'll make sure the cats can't set them off.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You know, it's amazing how domination announces itself when you have more than one pet. In my case, I've always had kitties (gurls); early on, I'd only have 1, and then I went to 2, then 3, and then 4. When I went from 1 to 2, it was pretty simple; one was very meek, the other was used to being a strong personality only. When I brought #3 home, she was under a year old but immediately went to the food dish to announce who was running things and stared the other 2 (who were crouched under the dining room table, watching her). That surprised me, since my then-dominant did not offer any objection. Since I've brought the brats into the picture, it looks like Lola is going to be "top dog"; she just takes/does whatever she wants and they all let her. She'll drag a food dish all over the kitchen preventing the other gurls from having anything, at which point I do get involved. She's very pushy, even with me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I had a lab mix dog who when she was 15 years old and very healthy ... "adopted" her little 13 month old sister dog and taught her everything. She was dominant/alpha ... but played and let the little one hang with her. When the older larger dog got sick ... there was no "dominance" but the little one looked after her ... reminded her to come inside etc. ... and took care of her. Really ... you could see the worry and concern on the little one's face.

The little one is the one that I have mentioned with the recent health problems. She is a special dog.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I had a lab mix dog who when she was 15 years old and very healthy ... "adopted" her little 13 month old sister dog and taught her everything. She was dominant/alpha ... but played and let the little one hang with her. When the older larger dog got sick ... there was no "dominance" but the little one looked after her ... reminded her to come inside etc. ... and took care of her. Really ... you could see the worry and concern on the little one's face.

The little one is the one that I have mentioned with the recent health problems. She is a special dog.
    It always touches my heart when I see how caring, compassionate, helpful and loyal animals can be to each other.
    I've seen it many times with my own past and present pets/animals.
    Brooks and echo226 like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

An update to all of you here who were so kind when I posted about having to have Summer put to sleep. Her cremains came home to us today in a beautiful oak box. We've put her baby picture on the front of the box, and cuddled her two favorite stuffed toys up next to it. It is such a comfort to have her back with us.

I love the plaque on the front of the box. It says,

Summer Marie
    2000-2013
    We'll see you again
    at the Rainbow Bridge
    Brooks, just1paul, CCL and 3 others like this.

Perfect AZChristian Perfect! This is Mona & Joeys forever table with pieces of their blankets, a towel that was in one of their carriers and Mona's what I call bake your brains lamp.

Trouble now adores Joeys brush, and the wagon is now in the living room full of Troubles toys....

bake your brains combined.jpgDSC00490.jpg
    Brooks and AZChristian like this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread