+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Such a contrast between your peaceful babies and proshay's wild kingdom wake-up, call!

I want to see pictures of all of them. They sound like such fun!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

You folks have become part of my circle of friends, and I wanted to share this with you.

A Tribute

Thirteen years ago, I was in the throes of a horrible depression which kept me out of work for nearly a year. My days consisted of lying on the couch, watching TV, and eating.

One day, I asked my husband if we could get a puppy. It seemed to me that loving and caring for a dog would help me to focus on something other than myself. He had reservations. Because of how withdrawn I had become, he was afraid that he would end up feeding and cleaning up after the dog. But he has rarely denied me anything that I really wanted, and he agreed that we could get a small dog.

Within a week, I’d found an ad in our local newspaper for Yorkie puppies. I called the number and asked if they had any females left. They had two. My grandson and I drove to the home and found a lovely family who had two female and one male adult purebred Yorkies, which they bred and sold to help put their kids through college.

They handed me one of the female puppies, and handed Josh the other. They were both cute little black balls of fur, one with a couple of white strands on her forehead (which was the only way to tell them apart). After I’d held the first puppy for a few minutes, I had the strangest sensation that I needed to trade off with Josh.

And so I held Summer for the first time. She curled up in my arms, and wrapped her paws around my heart. I could almost hear her telling me, “My sister is cute, but you and I belong together.” I didn’t say anything about that sensation, but I looked at Josh and said, “If we were to pick one of these puppies, which one should we take?” Without a moment’s hesitation, he pointed to Summer. It was all the affirmation I needed.

I pulled out my checkbook to pay for her, and discovered that there were no checks left! I was terrified that someone else would come and adopt her before I could drive home, grab another checkbook, and return to the seller’s house. I said, “This is my puppy. What can I leave as collateral so that you will hold her until I get back in 30 minutes?” The lady looked at me and said, “I can tell that you have already bonded with this little girl, and I know you will be back. No collateral is necessary.”

After we drove back, paid for her, and picked her up, Josh and I drove to the nearest pet store to get a collar, a leash, and the first of many toys. As we were walking around the store, I was mulling over names. I had always thought Autumn was a pretty name, but this little sweetheart was born in July. And so her name is Summer.

We have had 13 years of joy with Summer. My husband was right about one thing; he has done most of the feeding and cleaning up after her, but he has loved her every bit as much as I have. The three of us have walked miles around the lakes in our community. We’ve laughed at her antics. We’d explain to other dog walkers who approached, “Summer will be glad to say hello to you, but she has no idea she’s a dog. In fact, she’s afraid of dogs, so please don’t let your little furry friend get too close to her, or she’ll try to climb up on top of my head for safety.”

We’ve been blessed to have many visitors in our home over these 13 years, and every one of them has left totally in love with Summer. One friend from The Netherlands, even wanted to sneak Summer in her suitcase and take her home. Others have come in as “cat people,” but left after acknowledging that if all dogs were like Summer, they’d become “dog people.” Summer truly never met a stranger.

Over the past few months, we’ve noticed that Summer was beginning to slow down – both physically and mentally. Her arthritis would cause her pain on rainy days, and she would limp in different ways, depending on whatever leg was causing her the most pain. Then she began acting disoriented. She’d walk into a corner and not be able to figure out how to get out of it. She began losing weight, even though we’d fix some of her favorite foods. Then, a couple of weeks ago, she began nipping at us if we tried to lift her up. The nipping progressed to biting and aggression. We knew that it was time to make a difficult decision.

This morning, August 17, 2013, a veterinarian came to our home to help end the pain and dementia that have destroyed the quality of her life. We held her in our arms and told her how much we love her as he gave her an initial shot to relax her. He then gave her an additional injection of a sedative which stopped the beating of the greatest heart any dog has ever had. We are heartbroken, but we know that we have done what we had to do because of how much we love her.

Summer will be cremated and her ashes will be returned to us. When we pass away, her ashes are to be mixed with ours before we are buried. She will be with us forever.

There’s a prose poem that is a comfort to me right now. I don’t know if it’s theologically correct – and I really don’t care. Believing this is how I’m coping with the loss of our beloved Summer.

The Rainbow Bridge
    (Author Unknown)

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent. Her eager body quivers. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

arboretum.jpg

CCL

What a cute dog. She was lucky to have you and your husband, and you her. She's left her paw prints on your heart.
    AZChristian likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I sitting here in tears, AZ. I know how heartbroken you are. Summer looks a lot like Ginger, a Yorkie I have walked 5 days a week for several years. I know how they can become a part of you and the loss is awfully hard to deal with.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    What a cute dog. She was lucky to have you and your husband, and you her. She's left her paw prints on your heart.
    The vet who took care of her today will provide us her paw print. I'm seriously considering having it tattooed over my heart, with her name.

Oh, AZ, my heart is breaking for you. {{hugs}}
    AZChristian likes this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Summer, AZ. Thank you for sharing your beautiful tribute with us. Big hugs to you.
    AZChristian likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Love to you, AZ.

Welllll, let me tell you about my village idiot, Lola. She's all hyped up this evening, chasing non-moving cords, running and jumping. She climbs up on the headboard of the bed...mind you, it's after 11 p.m.....makes a couple of parachute leaps off the headboard, the last of which is into the center of my belly, gallops to the bedside table to survey the land, dashes to the bedpost and does a high leap onto the post with all 4 of her legs wrapped around the post, and slowly slides down. All of the rest of the household is still and quiet, and relaxed. Something has fallen in the bathroom, but I'm not even going to go see what it was. It was not glass.

I am crumbling tonight. Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross. Now, I don't know if that is a song title, but it just really should be.
    inthegarden and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

AZ ... you have truly honored us and Summer by sharing your memories in that heartfelt tribute.

Thinking of you and thank you!.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

AZ - My heart goes out to you. Your story echoes my experience with Taro last year.
    'shay - You got a wild one! My little sweeties sleep through the night... or if they don't, they are polite enough to keep me out of it. But look out during the day! They tear up and down the hall, the kitty tree, through the tunnel, up the shower curtain, pouncing on each other... then they crash. They manage to sleep in such artistic poses, I could win a photography award for all the pictures I've taken of them. One is black and silver with her stripes breaking apart into Bengal spots. The other is white with orange Siamese markings. Sometimes they curl around each other and look like a Yin-Yang symbol. Sometimes they stretch out opposite each other with their paws touching. Sometimes they each have a paw on the other's face. Quite endearing.
    My neighbor, who took two after her household of hellions moved out, has the sweetest two. Of course, she talks to them quietly and pets them gently. I wrestle with mine and call their names when I want them to come entertain me.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread