+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    A (very grateful) woman came to take my orange kitten yesterday. Her 10-yr old son is getting another kitten, but they wanted two together. I had told her about both of the ones that were available and she had done some research and told me the white and orange one is called a flame point Siamese. I've since done some interesting research myself and have decided to keep him, too. He's the one called Skipperdee that I was originally going to keep. I'm so thrilled. People who have flame points rave about their personalities. Has anyone here ever had one?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=flam...w=1555&bih=789
    Gut, I went and looked them up further so I could see more pictures. Wikipedia calls them short-haired color-points

They are just so pretty. So you settled on Skipperdee ? I think that is so cute.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Well, I knew I wanted to call the female Eloise, after the children's book character, and she has a turtle named Skipperdee, which I always liked. My neighbor was watching them while I was in Belgium and she couldn't remember all the names, so she called him Sweet Pea. So, while I may eventually shorten to a nickname like Skipper, right now I call him Sweet Pea Skipperdee when I'm talking to him.
    Flickr: Discussing What kind of personality does your Flame Point Siamese have? in flame-point siamese
    Count your blessings!

Sweet Pea Skipperdee -- oh that's cute
    inthegarden likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Sweet Pea Skipperdee ... love that and that Gloria is adopting the dynamic duo.

Mohandas Gandhi

I'm a little nervous and need to take my mind off of stuff, so I want to tell you Baby's story. Baby is my 17 year old chihuahua/dachshund mix. I've just taken 2 xanax so if they kick in halfway through, I apologize in advance! Those things mess me up. Lol.

About a year after we got Harley, we decided to add a smaller dog to the family and went to all the local shelters. After a few days, we (my daughter was 17 at the time and the new dog was going to be hers) found the cutest little Cairn Terrier, for some reason you can't put a "hold" on a dog you're interested in. You have to wait until the day they become available, show up and hope you can get the dog you want.
    The terrier was available the next day so we showed up an hour before the shelter opened to get him but another family was already in line to get him.
    We were really upset. We went home and decided to try again later. We went back about a week later and found Baby. As we looked in all of the kennels, I nudged my daughter and pointed at a little chihuahua cowering in the back of the kennel. Any time anybody walked by she would run up and bark and snarl, then run and hide again.
    We walked up to her cage and she ran up to us but didn't bark, just ran back to her corner and stared at us.
    I asked the lady there what her story was. She had been seized from an abusive house. She had been forced to have litter after litter after litter of puppies and starved and abused in between.
    She still has tiny scars on her belly from being burned with cigarettes and hot pipes and she's missing some teeth and a claw was ripped off and is gone.
    She'd been adopted out twice and brought back both times.
    I saw the sweet girl just wanting to come out so I took a chance and brought her home.
    It was rough at first. Any time we tried to touch her, she'd snap at us. She never bit, but she'd give warning snaps.
    She ended up making the spot under our end table her hiding place. She had a direct line to the backyard and she would,run out, do her business and fly back under the table. I've had training experience, so I told my family to just back off for a while and leave her alone.
    For about 2 or 3 weeks, I would put her food and water under the table for her and make sure nothing blocked her path to the outside. Other than that we just left her alone. Harley visited with her a lot but we didn't bother her.

I started slowly lying on the floor on her level and talking to her a bunch of times during the day. She'd growl but just stare at me. I have her treats and talked to her. I started putting the treats closer and closer to me.
    I won't go into all of the training details, they would probably bore you, I'll just say that I'll never forget the day I got down to talk to her and instead of growling, she have her tail a few little wags! Success finally! After almost a year!
    It was probably a full year before Baby really trusted us. Since she was originally my daughters dog, she took her when she moved out a few years later. Baby didn't adjust to well to that and came back home to "grandma".
    She ended up being such a great dog. She loves most people now. She still gets scared around certain people and aside from our family, if you put your face to close to hers, she'll nip at you.

She was an hour from being put to sleep when we showed up.
    All she needed was some love and a lot of patience.

She's the boss. She puts Kaylee and the cat in their places and they obey her.

A year ago, I trained her to use a sort of litter box that I made for her, she just got too old and couldn't take the,heat or cold of being outside. She's taken up permanent residence in the crook of my arm since my accident.

She's 17 now and I've had her for 12 years. She's completely deaf and her eyes are going, I know her time will be coming soon, but she's not ready to go yet, she still has a lot of life and spunk left in her. I can tell.
    I'm not ready either. She'll tell me when it's, time.

Thanks for "listening", I hope it made sense, that xanax is in full effect right now.

Goodnight everybody.
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 08-12-2013 at 05:11 AM.
    Brooks, KatesMom and Photobabe like this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

My little Japanese Chin started using the cats' litter box on his own when it became too much for him to go outside. That's when I knew I had to start thinking about what was best for him.
    I am so impressed with your story about Baby! Not many people would have that kind of love and understanding and patience. What a lucky dog.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 08-12-2013 at 06:05 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Reaching out for advice....

Has anybody converted an outdoor kitty into an indoor kitty only?

My neighbor "sorta" adopted an cat (about a year old) and he only wants to be outside.... He is super friendly but at times gets a bit fiesty.
    She is scared of him because of his fiesty ways. When he is in for too long... he will knock things over and chew things up.

In the middle of the night... if he wants to go out.. he will pounce on her.

I mentioned Feliway and she got it. But... at this time...she is leaving the cat out during the day and letting him in at night.. keeping him in is the problem.

Your help and advice is wanted and needed.... in changing this outdoor kitty into a forever indoor kitty.

If anybody has converted a outdoor cat into an indoor cat.... please let me know what you did to make it happen. How long did it take? How did you prepare?

I'm here would be the one to ask. PM her.
    prhoshay likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Norwindian I love baby's story. Apparently the reason Baby was returned so many times, was because of that snappy, nippy behavior.

Poor little girl Baby was already stressed and to keep sending her to homes that weren't committed is the fault of the shelter. Once again ... things are the way they are supposed to be. The Cairn terrier went to a different forever home ... so Baby could have a chance ... and Baby picked you. She obviously knew that given a little time she could train you. !

You have great patience. When you love like that it comes back ... and sometimes rests right in the crook of your arm.
    NorwIndian likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm here would be the one to ask. PM her.
    Gutmutter... I was the one asking for advice.

The problem with me is.... I can given advice... I don't tend to FOLLOW my own advice....

I was hoping for some ideas... maybe some that I didn't already know about.

Which in fact, I did get today.... and appreciated it!!!

+ Reply to Thread