+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Echo- Thank You for the update. We care.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

echo, I'm relieved by the news and that she's feeling pretty good...still holding you in my prayers. Without a firm diagnosis, might as well work on the possibilities you can do something about.

Vets do antibiotics and steroids because that's about all they know but there is so much more out there. I had to learn it for my cats. As I mentioned before, milk thistle is a very good, safe natural product to help the liver. And discuss any medications with your vet to make sure you aren't needlessly putting him on the ones that clear through the liver which would cause more stress.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Update on my bratty gurls (kitties, for those of you who may not know)....they seem to be calming down a little, but I'm not holding my breath; there are spurts of manic behavior from Lola, fewer from Juliebelle but she does have her moments. I dropped something that I was going to throw away, and Lola tried to steal it. I got it back and put it in the bedroom trashcan, went back to getting ready to get out of the house. Walked into the bedroom, and the trashcan was turned over with contents strewn every which way. Picked up, made the mistake of going into the bathroom; came back out to the trashcan overturned and dumped again! She is a determined little monster!

Her latest thing is traversing my face to get from one side of the bed to the other! It can be the middle of the night, and she will trot her bee-hind right across my face. By the time I go to grab her, she's already where she is going. While we are getting on better, she does have her moments.

Took them for rabies vaccinations; they slept for 2 days! I earned that break! They also switched personalities at the vet's office, for the visit. Juliebelle became the lunatic; Lola became the laid-back one for the duration of the visit. For a moment, I had Lola-hope. They have, since, reflipped! Juliebelle likes to sit and gaze at the litterbox, whether it needs cleaning or not....she also likes to get poop out of the box and bat it around the floor; she can entertain herself for a while doing that. Lola found a little stuffed Christmas frog from who-knows-where, and ran around with it in her mouth for quite a while.

Few dull moments here, anymore.
    PGM35 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'd like to update my kitty situation, but I know my philosophy differs from many of you here. I'm not looking for debate.
    I've had a rough year with pets. I had to have my very elderly dog put down a year ago June. Then my almost 20-yr-old cat removed herself from the house and didn't come back (I think she chose to go off to die. She hadn't been sick, but didn't do much). Then one of my remaining two cats disappeared. I suspect coyotes, but I'll never know. I have a cat door and live near the woods. I've only heard coyotes once, but it was near the time she disappeared. All that was last summer. In the fall I got a 6-mo.-old male Bengal, Dexter. I wanted to breed him with my female, Minerva, but it didn't work out when he first arrived. This past spring, she went into heat and he "serviced" her, but there was also a gorgeous long-haired cream colored male in the area. Shortly after that, on the day I treated Dexter with flea drops, he disappeared. I kept hoping he was just mad about the meds, but I truly suspect someone took advantage of him wandering and took him for their own. I don't "feel" he's gone. Anyway, Minerva had her kittens and all five are completely different. There is a long-haired and a short-haired Siamese that my neighbor is in love with. She's taking them both and I couldn't be happier. There's an orange male and a white male with ORANGE Siamese markings. I've never seen anything like it. The 5th is the one I am keeping. I'm calling her Eloise. You can see from my avatar that she is pretty clearly the offspring of my beloved Dexter mixed with my tabby.
    I told a few people I have kittens and already have 3 people wanting the available two males. Each of them have said they've been looking for MONTHS for kittens. I've mentioned here before that there are almost none to be had in our area and not everyone wants an adult from a shelter. I admire all of you that rescue animals.
    Count your blessings!

I don't doubt there are people clambering for the kittens, Gutmutter, they sound exquisite!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    They also switched personalities at the vet's office, for the visit.
    I'll bet they had been planning that deception for weeks. LOL

Gut, I've seen you mention before about the lack of available kittens. Have you, or a rescue group in your area ever thought of getting in touch with an area that has an abundance and seeing about getting some brought in for adoption events? I know in my area cats and dogs (including lots of kittens and puppies) are unfortunately so plentiful that many get put to sleep and on occasion a rescue group from another state will come and take some away for adoptions elsewhere. Anyway, just a thought.

Sorry that Dexter never came back, I was wondering if he did. Do you microchip? It's not a sure fire way of getting a pet back but it does lead to success sometimes. My cat is totally inside now due to being a lover not a fighter and expensive vet bills from all of that but he's still microchipped just in case he ever gets out. The few times we put him on the porch though he ran back inside like he was on fire, lol. His new thing is "attacking" birds that eat from my window feeder. He jumps against the glass, they fly off, and repeat an hour later. It's pretty entertaining.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

That's an interesting thought, ACF. If I run across anyone who I think would be open to it, I'll mention it. Thanks.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When I was at the vet the other day, there was a kitty raising hell in the back....I said, "Ah yes...a kindred spirit!" The ladies working the desk said that it was a male, about 3 months old, who had been brought there and left; I told them not to even look at me! He was wanting somebody to pay him some attention. When I was leaving, they said that the kitty was going to be sent to metro animal services, per the doctor. They were not happy about that, since they said they would have been the ones taking care of him until they could get him adopted out. He, too, was white and black. Unfortunately, I'm at my quota.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Sorry for being absent here. Still missing Buddy a lot - gets to me sometimes - just recently, July 25 got sad news. My friend that passed in 2010 (she was 33), had a boxer that she rescued from the same place we got ours. She named him Witten after the Dallas Cowboys guy. That was how we became friends - the boxer thing in common. When she died, he was with her (well, there at the apt) and her aunt and uncle took him in afterwards. He had his own FB page for all his fans (friends and family of hers) to keep in touch with his coming and goings. He even attended a few of our UT Tailgates - he was very loved. Well he passed away, they think cancer b/c he had not been eating and lack of energy and didn't want to go for walks. Had fluid in his abdomen and lack of protein in his blood or something like that. He was shutting down. He was telling them it was time. They didn't want him to suffer. He had gone on for 3 years without his mama and I guess it was time to meet up with her again. So very sad for all of us. They have his ashes and will put some on her gravesite, and some with his 2nd family, and they said they'd bring some to the UT campus where he had so much fun being loved on and petted by the Longhorn fans. Here's a pic of him and my friend. 1003827_10151498982226104_1408924852_n.jpg

Thanks for letting me share.

+ Reply to Thread