+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Tonight, she seems to be doing kangaroo-leap imitations.
    I don't see the problem, other than lack of video. ;^)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Now, I fully understand why babies are for the young. I am close to going catatonic and, then, they can have this stupid house.

Good thing they are cute and have periods of being lovable, 'cause I'd pack their little hobo bags on the sticks and kick them both to the curb!

I will never do kittens again! Young adults ONLY!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Your duty is to serve. And not to reason why. ;^)
    just1paul likes this.

This is what you posted earlier about Lola.

She is soooo deliciously precious I can hardly stand it!
    A very wise poster reminded me to enjoy the scratches because they don't stay little very long.
    just1paul likes this.

Now, I fully understand why babies are for the young. I am close to going catatonic and, then, they can have this stupid house.

just1paul likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

THEN SHE GOES ALL DR. JEKYYLL/SISTER HYDE ON ME.

One of us may not make it.

The vet says the worst should be over by the end of the summer. What if summer never ends???
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

then she goes all dr. Jekyyll/sister hyde on me.

one of us may not make it.

the vet says the worst should be over by the end of the summer. What if summer never ends???

summertime..........and the living is easy........ Rotflmao
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Question: does anybody here brush their cat's teeth with any amount of success? If so, please give me some hints, because mine isn't taking to it one little bit. The vet recommended I brush his teeth twice a week (gum issues). I have both the finger brush and the little regular brush, but he's not having it.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I can't count how many times I've said "no more kittens". Lol. I have a 10 month old kitty right now and just when I think she's grown out of the psycho kitten stage, she starts all over again.
    I tell her daily that she's lucky she's cute. Lol.
    Brooks likes this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Question: does anybody here brush their cat's teeth with any amount of success? If so, please give me some hints, because mine isn't taking to it one little bit. The vet recommended I brush his teeth twice a week (gum issues). I have both the finger brush and the little regular brush, but he's not having it.
    You only have to do the outside but best to do it daily if it's needed. Cornell has a helpful video -

Brushing Your Cat's Teeth: Play Entire Video | Partners in Animal Health

You don't have to use a brush. It just needs some friction. A friend wraps a piece of microfiber material around her index finger instead of trying to manipulate a brush.

Cats don't chew. They don't have grinding molars. They bite and tear food into small enough pieces to swallow. That biting and tearing into "resilient" material (like muscle meat, not bone) is what cleans their teeth naturally. They have no salivary amylase (no ability to digest starches in the mouth) and can't metabolize starches well anyway. It's a myth that cats should eat dry food for oral health - it would be like eating pretzels to clean your teeth. Dry food is very bad for their health in many other ways.

Chronic stress and fear also have a lot to do with oral health. My prior cat's mouth deteriorated starting with when my parents' bully cat moved in. It progressed to kidney disease. I didn't know then what I know now about caring for a cat's emotional and physical needs or how to manage a multi-cat household.

I now feed whole raw (thawed) critters to my two young'uns. It's what my little carnivores have come to expect. My girl says ground food isn't real food - it's been previously chewed, LOL. So they get plenty of biting and tearing action and I watch stress levels. If they only ate ground food I would still be ahead because I don't feed any grains or starches. But if that still were not enough then brushing would be required. Homeopathic fragaria 6C, given occasionally, can help loosen up tartar.

+ Reply to Thread