+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Does anyone know anything/have any experiences with the Canadian company "24 Pet Watch, pet insurance"?
    I have no personal experience but this service no longer recommends them: Pet Medical Insurance Reviews and Comparisons

Has anyone used motion-activated sprinklers to discourage neighborhood cats from hanging around? There are at least two cats tormenting my indoor cats by their presence. We just purchased the Contech Scarecrow sprinkler. Haven't set it up yet.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Brooks, thank you for the link about the insurance.

I seldom see a wandering cat in my neighborhood, and I've been here for 14 years.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I not even dealing with ferals. We have irresponsible owners in my area who think nothing of letting their cats run loose. My last cat died largely because of illness which followed extended chronic stress from being tormented through the deck doors. I won't let that happen to my current kitties, but for now I'm willing to go to considerable expense and effort to be humane about it (can you tell I'm pissed about this??, LOL).

Yes, I can tell, and I understand. I looked up your sprinkler on Amazon.....Wow! The $$$$.....They had a ton of reviews. Some of them had me laughing out loud, when these people described their learning experiences. I am going back to read some more when I am bored. I was surprised to learn that they ran on batteries. Most interesting product.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Just curious if anyone has a good way of keeping their kitties from killing birds? I've tried the break away collars with bells and bibs, but my cat will step on the bib and pull the entire contraption off. I monitor them as well as I can when I do let them out but one of my kitties has that huge hunter instinct in him and has managed to get a few birds. I've managed to save three or four. I am thinking I might have to build some kind of outdoor cat enclosure. Keeping them inside is not a solution as they love to get their outdoor time. Why can't they figure out that I want them to get the mice and gophers but leave the birds alone lol.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

My hope is that our male kitty TJ will be watching out the window as his main nemesis gets nailed by a sprinkler, and that hubby and I will see the nemesis' furdad blasted when he approaches too close on his mowing tractor, LOL. TJ is the self-appointed castle protector. I work a lot with animal communicators so I'll have an opportunity soon to make sure TJ understands the "security" we're putting in place to make his job easier. Cats have a sense of humor. I think he'll appreciate it.

mesachick, our cats love outdoor time too. So we walk them on leashes. It's safer for everyone that way and it's rather bonding to explore together. They were never loose but they came from a household that had enclosed a small backyard and a self-service door. TJ spent considerable time his first few days looking for the cat door in our home until a communicator told him we didn't have one.

If your bird problem is around feeders, then try to remove any concealing ground cover in the area and set up nearby roosts for birds waiting their turn. As to the other birds, there's a reason some bird species have so many young. Only about two are supposed to make it over time, but it can be tough seeing the reason so many don't survive long enough to reproduce.

Personally, I think that keeping them inside is ALWAYS a solution, especially when it's the law of YOUR land. I have no problem with it in my house. I don't think you can deny an animal's God-given nature. Mine understand that they can look, but they cannot touch! The closest they get to outside is sitting in an open window, and that seems to suffice. They don't even use the window that much. I protect them for their own good and health, and for my nerves.
    just1paul likes this.

I am not worried about their health - they have all the vaccinations they need, plus they get unhappy when they can't be outside. Mine meow and claw at the glass doors to let me know lol. We have 2.5 acres and I personally don't like denying animals enjoying what comes natural to them (being outside). Although I have had cats in the past that certainly preferred to be inside, these two prefer to be outside for some of the day. Leashes might be a good solution, and less expensive than buying and installing a cat avery. Hmmmm... thanks for the ideas so far.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread