+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1384Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Found out on Friday.... my kittykat IS hyperthyroid. Crazy.... I just put my other cat to sleep that was hypothyroid. I thought I was dealing with a kitty that had a cold or allergies. BOY OH BOY was this a shock. He is only 6. I've decided to NOT do meds for the rest of his life. I have an appointment for iodine therapy. Expensive but I think its worth it. IF it works.

At this point my kitty is NOT acting like his usual self and I miss his usual ways. I don't like the fact he is hiding from me. I realize he is doing that because every time he sees me I am shoving a pill down his throat or liquid antibiotics.

I didn't give him any meds today as he was done the antibiotics.... and already he seems a bit happier. He isn't hiding... he's been wanting his treats and playing with his toys.

Breaks me heart that my kittykat is sick. I just wish I could give him kitty kisses and make it alllllllllll go away.

*sad face*

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    All right my animal geniuses.....here's a question that popped up in my head......do fish urinate?
    I have had a salt water tank for over 20 years. And, one of my fish are over 15 years old.... yet I cannot answer that question. I know they poop and depending on how much they are feed... can poop A LOT! I am going to have to google that. Now, I'm curious.

All right my animal geniuses.....here's a question that popped up in my head......do fish urinate?

From what I read on the net.... they do NOT. I sent you a link from wiki answers. But there are many other links that support that same answer.

I'm here, sorry to hear you have another hyperT kitty. 6 years old is very young. Are you absolutely sure it's HT? Sometimes a full thyroid panel is needed and review by someone more experienced than the typical vet.

If you were to do meds, vets almost always prescribe a potentially lethal dose of methimazole. Never ever trust that a vet will get the dosage right, even if they prescribe the right medicine. Even if the kitty needs a higher dose it should build up **slowly** and should **never** be started higher than 1.25 mg twice a day. The official veterinary pharmacy manual still has too high a recommended dose (2.5 mg twice daily) and too many vets are using an even older edition (5.0 mg twice daily). Also, you may need to establish euthyroid with medication so you know for sure what his other values would be if the radiation is successful, although with kidney disease unlikely at this age it's less important.

There is an optimal window for radiation treatment - if you do it too soon or too late in the disease not enough good thyroid tissue is left. Many cats become hyPO thyroid after radiation treatment, which can be treated with drugs (with less of an effect than the drugs for hyperthyroidism) IF it is recognized in time. And some cats require more than one radiation session to get the hormone level right. Whatever you pursue, very important to do follow-up bloodwork so there are no surprises.

Good luck to you. I've been through this with an elderly kitty.

Brooks
    Last edited by Brooks; 07-01-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I'm here, sorry to hear you have another hyperT kitty. 6 years old is very young. Are you absolutely sure it's HT? Sometimes a full thyroid panel is needed and review by someone more experienced than the typical vet.

If you were to do meds, vets almost always prescribe a potentially lethal dose of methimazole. Never ever trust that a vet will get the dosage right, even if they prescribe the right medicine. Even if the kitty needs a higher dose it should build up **slowly** and should **never** be started higher than 1.25 mg twice a day. The official veterinary pharmacy manual still has too high a recommended dose (2.5 mg twice daily) and too many vets are using an even older edition (5.0 mg twice daily). Also, you may need to establish euthyroid with medication so you know for sure what his other values would be if the radiation is successful, although with kidney disease unlikely at this age it's less important.

There is an optimal window for radiation treatment - if you do it too soon or too late in the disease not enough good thyroid tissue is left. Many cats become hyPO thyroid after radiation treatment, which can be treated with drugs (with less of an effect than the drugs for hyperthyroidism) IF it is recognized in time. And some cats require more than one radiation session to get the hormone level right. Whatever you pursue, very important to do follow-up bloodwork so there are no surprises.

Good luck to you. I've been through this with an elderly kitty.

Brooks

Thanks for your response Brooks!!! I too have been through this before, but it doesn't make it any easier. Its almost harder this go around as my other cat was in the teens where as this kitty is only 6.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    Found out on Friday.... my kittykat IS hyperthyroid. Crazy.... I just put my other cat to sleep that was hypothyroid. I thought I was dealing with a kitty that had a cold or allergies. BOY OH BOY was this a shock. He is only 6. I've decided to NOT do meds for the rest of his life. I have an appointment for iodine therapy. Expensive but I think its worth it. IF it works.

At this point my kitty is NOT acting like his usual self and I miss his usual ways. I don't like the fact he is hiding from me. I realize he is doing that because every time he sees me I am shoving a pill down his throat or liquid antibiotics.

I didn't give him any meds today as he was done the antibiotics.... and already he seems a bit happier. He isn't hiding... he's been wanting his treats and playing with his toys.

Breaks me heart that my kittykat is sick. I just wish I could give him kitty kisses and make it alllllllllll go away.

*sad face*
    I'm so sorry, I'm here. This must be tearing you up after going through it with your other cat.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm so sorry, I'm here. This must be tearing you up after going through it with your other cat.

When it rains... it pours, right????

When animals get sick and/or die... is OBVIOUSLY the hardest part of loving animals. June was a very draining month for me. And until I have my kittykat treated.... its going to be rough.

A positive..... kittykat seems not as depressed and hasn't vomited in two days. YEAH FOR KITTYKAT!!!!!

I know Buddy understood me when we were talking about "taking him in to you know...". He wasn't ready then but he knew we weren't ready either. I was crying to him one day saying, I'm not ready big guy, and hugging on him, and he DRUG HIMSELF TO GET AWAY FROM ME>>>> hahaha!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Went to the Humane Society to get my little black-and-white baby today! They were having a half-price sale, and I'll be diddly-dipped if I didn't come home with 2 babies!!! They are little-bitties. My black-and-white baby was named Burlina.....she is now named Lola F. Can anyone guess what the 'F' stands for??

The other baby is a long-haired tabby with ear tufts; I'm guessing she's part Maine Coon. Her name was Julie.....she is now named Juliebelle! She is absolutely beautiful, and named after my dearest friend who is not a cat person. I've called my friend, Julie, Juliebelle for as long as I can remember.

We head to the vet first thing in the morning!
    Brooks and inthegarden like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Went to the Humane Society to get my little black-and-white baby today! They were having a half-price sale, and I'll be diddly-dipped if I didn't come home with 2 babies!!! They are little-bitties. My black-and-white baby was named Burlina.....she is now named Lola F. Can anyone guess what the 'F' stands for??

The other baby is a long-haired tabby with ear tufts; I'm guessing she's part Maine Coon. Her name was Julie.....she is now named Juliebelle! She is absolutely beautiful, and named after my dearest friend who is not a cat person. I've called my friend, Julie, Juliebelle for as long as I can remember.

We head to the vet first thing in the morning!
    for you!! I hope you post pictures of them both, they sound so sweet

positive..... kittykat seems not as depressed and hasn't vomited in two days. YEAH FOR KITTYKAT!!!!!
    That's good news I'm here
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread