+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Checked on that precious kitten again today. She is still available. Last Friday, I was told that if I took her home that I'd need to keep her isolated from my other girls for a week, and finish giving her her medicine. Today, I was told that it was going to be another SEVERAL weeks before she finished her medicine. WTH??? I did not go into it with the adoption counselor. Wasn't in the mood.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

prhoshay, this sounds like a kitten that will never grow into a healthy cat. Conventional medicine understands very little about cat issues and what to do about them. I feel sad for this little girl. Bless you for wanting to give her a home.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And the killer part, for me, is that she is happy, very busy, and playful, but I just don't think it's worth endangering the health of my other gurls. She might do well to go into a home where she is an "only".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have a question about dogs and vaccines. We've always been very faithful about getting the annual shots, full spectrum including Rabies, bordatella, distemper, giardia, etc. We came just about as close as you can get to losing our perfectly healthy, super athletic three and a half year old lab mix to bulbar encephalitis a few weeks ago. This can be caused by virus, bacteria, parasite, we have no clue or 'other'. It started with loss of appetite, then he got very 'twisted' physically, couldn't walk straight, could barely stand, etc. Rushed him in at first sign of twisting, had him under a neurologist's care within 24 hours of the first symptom (which of course was a holiday weekend) and they did an MRI, saw it was the brain stem inflammation and started drugs right away. His condition went faster than the drugs to the point that he lost the ability to swallow and the next advance would have been losing the ability to breathe. Thankfully they bumped up the infusions and he's back to just about normal other than having to lose the 14 pounds he lost along the way off his 55 pound frame - poor guy.

We really wanted to know the cause since we have another dog and really didn't want Jack (and our savings account) to have to go through this ever again so we had them do the spinal fluid and bloodwork analysis and they also sent them to the premiere vet school out here. Between CSU and where we went, we had the top neuro people looking at his case. Their independent of each other diagnosis that they both came up with is that it was his immune system going nuts and going after the residuals from his distemper vaccine from July of last year (his episode was Memorial Day). As a result, he is not to have any vaccinations of any kind and is to be on an immune suppressant for the rest of his life.

I don't want to be one of those "vaccines almost killed my kid" parents, but I'm just curious about other people's experiences/thoughts/etc about dogs and vaccinating them? They say since he had his puppy shots and three years of regular, that he'll have a resistance for quite some time and we'll test him every year to know if it is time to keep him away from other dogs because it has gone away. Our regular vet just moved away and I HATE his partner and am looking for a 'regular' vet to discuss this with, but I'm also looking for real world experience from 'parents'.

Do you vaccinate? Every year? Our dogs are in house, outside for business and with us only, come camping with us, walks around the neighborhood but no dog parks or day care dogs. Not complete shut ins by any means, but not 'the popular kids always doing something with their friends' either.
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632 View Post
    Do you vaccinate?
    I have two cats. I flew 1,500 miles to pick them up because they had never been vaccinated and were weaned to raw. They're healthier than any other cats I know or that I would have been able to find locally. Vaccines are harmful, especially rabies and distemper, and the notion they need to be repeated is obscene. They aren't where immunity comes from. Immunity is a natural process, you don't get there by injecting toxins directly into the body. Rabies vaccinosis is associated with neurological problems, physical or emotional. It's more prevalent if the animal was vaccinated before the nervous system fully developed.
    inthegarden likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Long story short, my poor dog got fleas staying with my parents while I had to go out of town. Yes, he was on Advantage Multi. No, it didn't work. I've flea shampooed him down to the skin three times now and there are STILL a few fleas. I've got some Capstar coming tomorrow based on some recommendations. In the 2.5 years I've had him, he's never had a single flea. Any experience using it? Good, bad, or ugly, I'd love some input. TIA.

We use Frontline Plus because it addresses both fleas and ticks. I use it year round.

Can you just shave your dog and then give him another flea bath?

Sorry for the hassle for you and your pup..

Don't forget to flea bomb your home.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Long story short, my poor dog got fleas staying with my parents while I had to go out of town. Yes, he was on Advantage Multi. No, it didn't work. I've flea shampooed him down to the skin three times now and there are STILL a few fleas. I've got some Capstar coming tomorrow based on some recommendations. In the 2.5 years I've had him, he's never had a single flea. Any experience using it? Good, bad, or ugly, I'd love some input. TIA.
    I quit using Advantage Multi on my dogs because it stopped working. In the past, I've used Capstar for a one dose bad flea infestation problem on a stray pup to get rid of the fleas that were on him at the time.
    I switched to Comfortis (a pill) last year and I loved loved loved it. It worked great to get rid of fleas and keep them flea free for 4-6 weeks. I have farm dogs who hunt in fields and woods, swim in ponds or their swimming pool so its important that I have products that will work in both wet and dry conditions. Even though Comfortis is not listed as a tick control product, it kept them tick free. In addition to the Comfortis, I used a separate heartworm/worm preventative.
    This year I'm trying Trifexis, which combines the same heartworm/worm preventative ingredient and Comfortis in one pill. So far it is working great. If you use Comfortis, don't give it on an empty stomach, give it to them 10-15 minutes after a meal or it will come right back up.

For bathing to get rid of fleas on both cats and dogs use plain Dawn dish detergent. Suds them up and let them soak for 5-10 minutes and then rinse. Although it doesn't have a lasting effect it will kill the fleas that are on your pet at the moment.
    I hate fleas! mean little monsters.

I'm sooooo sad!!!

Last Thursday, I had to put my cat to sleep. (I found him at work 17 years ago... when still living with my parents. They wouldn't let me take him when I got married and moved out).

For years he was diabetic... but for the past few months, he didn't need insulin. He used to be quite heavy. Almost tipping the scale at 24 pounds. But in the last year he was losing weight. Since he became diabetic he started losing weight. The beginning of last week, he starting vomiting all day... every day. I brought him to the vet for blood work and fluids. Blood work came back as Hypo Thyroid. Started him on meds... but it was just too late. *BIG SIGH*

This is when the kicking self begins..... I shouldn't have noticed something sooner. I should have done something sooner.... I should have brought him to the vet sooner... and I DEFINITELY should have kissed him more. (Don't misunderstand me... I smothered him with love to the point where he would put his paw in my face when kissing him... as to let me know.. ENOUGH!

In the end... he was 7 pounds... he was having a hard time walking.... he wasn't eating much.... and was drinking a lot of water. I know I did the right thing... but I just wasn't ready or mentally prepared for him to leave me....

I miss his loud purrrrr.... I miss playing with him... I miss petting him...the feel of his silky fur.... I miss his meowing voice... I miss him following me all over the house.... I miss him sitting on my lap.... and I miss the way he would smash his head (as hard as he could) against mine all the while purring....

I even miss his growl... when I would groom him. (He hated to be brushed or had his nails clipped).

He had ALOT of spunk... a tough cat. Hated the vet/office.... and let it be known...even in the end. STILL SPUNKY!

Big hugs for you. I am sure he had a wonderful life with you, with plenty of love
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread